+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1973Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

On the subject of neighbors, I would like some advice on an issue we are having. About 6 years ago we bought our house, which sat on a lot with 2 empty lots on each side (for some reason the seller broke up 1 "lot" into 3, each empty lot has a different owner.) One lot had a garage, and when we moved in we spoke to the lot owner that said we can use the garage and land if we maintain it (mostly just mowing). So we used the garage for storage, even started to upgrade the inside of it. Less than a year ago the lot owner decided that he wanted to build a house on the land. We didn't like it but what could we do, it wasnt ours. We asked that he give us enough time to get our stuff out of the garage and get some of the stones we had used to decorate off of his land (which he didnt-again, oh well). So in March of this year he started prepping the land to build, and it is just now about finished. At first the land owner was pretty nice, he was going to get some stuff up for us since he was using a back hoe/dumpster anyway, and we let him use our water to make his concrete. Then all of a sudden we got a bill for clean up thru the workers. Hubby explained that we had worked out a deal with the property owner and that was that. The workers at the house were very disrespectful of our property, running the back hoes thru what little yard we have, parking their trucks in our yard, so hubby got the black trash bag looking stuff and marked off our property. About a month ago they put seed down for the front yard, but there is a strip that already had grass next to our property where we had put our landscaping stones (on our property), hoping to have a flower garden in the future. When property owner mowed the strip twice, all of the trimmings went into our stones. Not too big a deal. the second time hubby swept as much as he could out of the rocks, getting some of the rocks on the other property but had planned to get them up, but then the rains came, and we have been getting A LOT lately. The way they had sloped the front yard all of the hay/grass seed has now run into our stones. Hubby said something to the workers and they regraded the front grudgingly "we'll have to give [owner] a reason we stayed late". Came home today and they had regraded again, this time with dirt/hay on top of our stones. hubby was livid but decided to call the cops since he wasn't sure what else to do. Cop advised to take pictures and contact property owner and nicely ask him to fix it. Hubby called, got no answer but left a lengthy message about contacting a lawyer/common courtesy reminders, etc...
    I myself am tired of what seems to be tit for tat, and so is hubby (he has realized its getting us nowhere). The for sale sign has been up for a couple of weeks, and I was hoping we could just ride it out til the house is sold. this guy builds homes for a living, we were afraid he would get his hands on the other lot so we looked into getting it ourselves but our credit score just wont let it happen.
    Any other suggestions?
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Fences make good neighbors.
    dagwood, Kip, AmyKay and 1 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

I am not sure of what is happening with the stone thing. It sounds like the shape of your yard might cause it to reoccur. Perhaps you could move the bed to avoid unnecessary frustration. If you think your new neighbors are jerks, just avoid them instead of getting in fights that only serve to raise your blood pressure.
    AmyKay likes this.
    You can do it!

Sounds like you're on the home stretch now. I know that it's just building the resentment & is getting harder to take with every irritation. But as you said, it's up for sale now. It could be nearly over.
    I'd try to ride it out at this point, & as Gutmutter suggested, put a small fence in on the property line.

It sounds like your problems are coming more from the workers than the property owner. The parking/driving on your land would get a "Now WAAAAAIIIIIITTT a minute there, fellows!" "This is NOT public property!" from me. Of couse, speaking up has never been an issue for me.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

As silly as it sounds I didn't think of a fence in the front yard. Our city may have some zoning rules about that but I am gonna look into it. I had suggested to move the flower bed a while ago, hubby was reluctant partly because it would take so much work and partly he was sticking to his guns about it being our property and he shouldn't have to.

My hubby has talked to the workers multiple times, and they have complained that the property owner has been a jerk to them too. I just don't understand why a grown man wouldn't have common courtesy and respect for others' property. Apparently all he cares for is the almighty dollar.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Even a thick planting of an inexpensive annual like petunias or salvia between the rocks and the other yard might catch the grass from going on the rocks and make the workers think twice.
    Count your blessings!

My darling next door neighbor, and I mean that sincerely and not sarcastically, has a weekly landscaper.

When they mow between our homes, the clippings blow into my strawberries ... and when it's dry and I am out there ... they blow into my face and eyes and they just ignore the fact that I am there.

They do not speak much English Spanish and/or Eastern European ... so I don't say much. I also will not complain to my neighbor who is really a doll. It could be worse. Instead, I am considering hiring the same landscaper ... who maybe if they do our "lots" side by side may ... um ... take notice.

AmyKay ... I have no solution for you except legal ones. I guess you could go to your City/Municipality and see if any codes are being violated by them. At minimum ... I think you could ask or have the city require them to put up one of those temporary work fence also known as a snow fence?
    It will require him to get a permit at least which should be "make busy" for him and be annoying.

They have NO right to be driving around on your property. Next time it happens start taking pics and video ... and call the Police and have them com while it is happening.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

AmyKay, what a miserable situation to deal with. I like some of the suggestions others have posted. One thing I might suggest is to make sure you know where your property line really ends. Otherwise, the answers I have are mostly legal ones and don't necessarily help you unless you are willing to hire a lawyer. I would make sure I take pictures and document everything. The workers blowing stuff onto your property is a tough one because technically they aren't trespassing. But the backhoes is another story. I don't know about the laws in your state - in mine, there is actually a statute related to trespass that if you cause damage, the homeowner is entitled to treble (triple) damages. Might be worth looking into. If nothing else, sending a letter to the home owner letting him know that you are taking pictures and that you have looked into the law on trespass might be enough to get him to pause. My experience with home builders is that they will push you around as much as you will let them. I actually had to get involved with our home builder because he was jerking my husband around. I just point blank told him that I was a lawyer and knew the law (and quoted it for him) and I knew what he was doing was wrong. Man was he ticked off and I got some snide emails from him . . . but I also got all of our issues cleaned up in under 24 hours. So they will push and they will be nasty if you let them - but in most cases they also know the law (they assume you don't) and so when you point out that you do know the law, they back down immediately.
    prhoshay and AmyKay like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You've also go to make sure you're dealing with the right person. Dealing with the workers won't get you very far.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

AmyKay, I dealt with a similar problem with neighbours at the old house we used to live in. I built a fence just down one side of the property similar to the ones in these pictures.

Scalloped Picket Fence Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

(when I say I built it, I mean me, and boy, I was proud of myself! I didn't like feeling like I HAD to do it, but in the end, it turned out to be one of the nicest features of my property. All of that said, I'm sorry you have to deal with the headaches you are facing with this property owner.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

+ Reply to Thread