+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1581Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: Talk about your troubles

Debb, chances are the dentist you'll be seeing today is competent - especially if your dentist's office referred you there.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Debb70, there are a lot of things in this world that make me sad, but Christian churches that don't focus on the words of the one they are following, Christ, are such a disappointment. I'm sorry you had this experience at your parent's church. A poor pastor can often change the entire landscape of what a church is about. Hopefully, the congregation sees this guy is not a positive influence and they turf him. I would love for you to be able to go back and have the positive experience you've had in the past with your parents.
    I think I'd throw a quote at him on the way out the door: "Therefore let each of us stop passing judgement on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way." Romans 14 vs. 13. Who's your brother, brother? EVERYone... Christ didn't exclude anyone, but many "christians" are astoundingly good at exclusion.

I hope it goes well with your veneer! ETA: What Kip said was right on. No worries, I'm sure it will be just fine!

prhoshay, believe me, I certainly expect SOME rebellious teenage behaviour. They're normal... I was normal too, I remember... I do hope they aren't as normal as I was.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, we don't get the final say in what they do....we can only hope we've raised them with good abilities in making decisions. Sometimes they will, and sometimes they won't. As long as they don't end up dead or in jail, I guess we've done our jobs right.

Don't doctors have the final approval of whom they turn their patients over to when they are not? Just make sure you give your doctor feedback, good or bad, on your referral doctor. He can't know about a problem or compliment if no one tells him/her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Good news! The dentist I saw was great! He's a new dentist, but very competent. He's my dentist's brother-in-law! And my sister-in-law works in my dentist's office. lol I know. It's crazy. As it turns out, he's going to be joining my dentist very soon to work in his office. (He has a huge, very nice office building and they are going to fill it with family members. I think they have some more dentists in the family too.)

Now that my veneer is back in place, I can have some real food? Most of the weekend I ate only soup. I'm hungry. lol
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.

After reading the real problems that people are having I feel kind of dumb posting this, but I need to unload. I may have mentioned earlier that I live in a condo complex with mostly older retirees. It's a small complex -- about 13 units -- so the HOA board also manages the property. Board members have entered my unit without permission, scolded my contractors, complained to my guests about parking -- the list goes on. They don't ask, they tell. This is the third condo I've lived in and the first where I'm treated like a renter.

When I first moved in, the HOA treasurer, who's my next-door-neighbor, told me that my semi-enclosed patio is considered a "common area." It's the only patio with a spigot, so she attached a hose that she uses to water her plants. I didn't challenge it because they'd already complained so much in that first week I didn't want to cause any more tension. So I basically didn't use the patio for four years. She, however, uses it about four times a week.

This year, when the weather turned nice, I put a grill back there. On the first day my neighbor told me to move it to a different spot because she could see it when she walked by and thought it was an eyesore. I said I wanted to put a patio table and chairs out there too. She said, "Ok, but as long as it looks nice."

Then I started getting mad. My property tax plat says the semi-enclosed patio is a "limited common element," meaning it's for my use except for emergencies and maintenance. Not only is my neighbor using my space, she's telling me what I can and can't put in there! (I have good design taste, BTW.) I suggested that if the HOA wanted a central spigot, maybe they could move it so I that I could have exclusive use of my patio. She said that isn't a budget priority.

So now my choice is to let my neighbor continue to use my patio so she can water her plants, or pay to have the spigot moved so I can have full use of my patio without feeling like I need to get permission. And also WTF???!!!
    Last edited by candor; 07-08-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Ummm...who pays for the water?
    just1paul likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ummm...who pays for the water?
    I was just going to ask the same thing...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Candor how frustrating! My initial thought to get that woman off your patio asap, was a water spigot extender, if the hoa would allow it as a temporary measure. To have no feeling of privacy must be unnerving at best. I hope you find a comfortable solution.
    remember to play

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I agree with the others. If you're paying for the water, they have no right to use it. If the HOA is paying for the water, I'd go to the next board meeting and let them know what you've found out about what your property tax plat says, and insist that others need to stop invading your private space.

Old people can be really nasty. I know this, as I am one (and I live in a large community with an HOA). But they will only continue to walk over you if you keep silent and allow it.

And it's not a small complaint. This has to be like a sore tooth that just bugs you all the time.
    Ellen likes this.

Is everyone required to maintain their own landscaping or is the condo board responsible for it? Typically "limited common elements" refer to parking stalls or patios and it's more for maintenance than access, you should check your condo docs to see what they say specifically. Usually if owners are responsible for their own 'green spaces' they'll have access to their own hose bib or to a common hose bib on common property and alternately if the condo association is supposed to be looking after it they would be granted access to yours but I would think that should be limited to a condo maintenance person/crew not to anyone who wanders over, regardless of who pays for the water (generally water costs are shared in a typical condo tho).

I know it's a bit different up here but I would think that you have the same right to privacy as everyone else in the condo and I assume you are not allowed to go hang out on her patio.

+ Reply to Thread