+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes.

I had the most bizarre experience yesterday. I agreed to attend church with my parents at their church. I grew up going there and it's not for me, but they have evolved over the years, so I attend there on ocassion because it makes my parents happy, (Christmas, Father/Mother's Day,etc.)

This was a special Patriotic Day service and everyone was to dress accordingly. I bought a special red blouse and flag pins for my parents. The singing was nice. They started with the National Anthem and followed with special songs about America. That was great. Then the preacher started preaching and it went down hill. It was all politics and about how God wanted this country to be. He knew all the details. He didn't seem to understand the distinction between church and state.

He said liberals were devils and he wanted to kill Lady GaGa. I'm not a fan of hers, but I don't think it's Christian like to kill people for their political views. It went on and on about how horrible the government is and how God is going to get those people who don't agree with his agenda. Basically to arrest gays. I think he was on the far right side of the Tea Party. The only American forefathers he quoted were George Washington and Ronald Reagan.

I wanted to get up and leave, but didn't want to make a scene. I feel like I let myself down for not standing up for what I believe, but it really didn't allow for that. My parents have attended that church for over 40 years. I know my mom doesn't believe that way, but she tolerates it.

I have decided that I am not returning for any reason, save a wedding or funeral. I hope my parents understand that you don't condemn people, because you disagree with them politically. They knew how it went for me, without me saying a word. It was odd to leave church and feel so disgusted. Normally, when I leave church I feel so good inside.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    cablejockey likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Debb, sorry you had this experience. It's sad that as a Christian, I've had to apologize for "fellow believers" on occasion. We've gone to churches where we had pastors who went off into directions we couldn't accept, and were excoriated as "church hoppers" when we left to attend another church. We just keep remembering that the messengers may be faulty, but we're there to focus on God . . . and we hope the messenger doesn't get in the way of that! If he does, we step around him and go somewhere else.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm impressed you kept it buttoned up for your parents' sake, Debb. I have to admit I'd have been tempted to say something on the way out, assuming your church also has the pastor/minister standing at the door as people exit, shaking hands. Something like, that was the most disgusting sermon I've ever heard--and especially on a day to celebrate patriots, including our many servicepeople who are gay.... Or so I think from a safe distance!

Did you talk with your parents about it? I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as polite as you.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Trouble does certainly come in threes. On top of the broken window and broken air conditioner, my car is having problems. Right before Father's Day weekend, I couldn't get my car to start one day. There was a security warning on the dashboard. When I finally got it to start and took it to a shop, they said the dealer would have to fix it. Since I was going out of town, I took my chances and the car did fine during the trip. Today, it once again didn't want to start so I took it to the dealer once it did start.

The shuttle to take people to work was taking forever to get going. The van was there by the driver wasn't ready to go so since it was about an hour after I should have been at work, I tried calling work to see if a co-worker could give me a ride. I couldn't get ahold of anybody I know. I tried calling my supervisor, a supervisor in another section, and a friend of mine but nobody was answering! I assumed everyone was in a meeting but when I got to work, people were at their desks so I talked to the bureau chiefs secretary and told her I thought there was a problem with our phone line. She confirmed there appeared to be something wrong because she had been unable to check her voicemail all morning.

This is not shaping up to be a good day. I hope the repairs on my car aren't going to cost a fortune and I hope someone will give me a ride to pick up my car. I don't feel like walking several miles in the rain. I forgot to get my umbrella out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Maybe these hellion-predictors are just jealous.
    The high-scoolers I've tutored in the past and tutor now are great young adults. Sure, they have their "moments" with their parents, but 99.9% of the time, they're ALL intelligent, respectful, thoughtful, funny, and fun.
    Their parents started "doing the hard work" during the diaper-days, and now they're reaping the rewards.
    I think people who talk this way are jealous too. I've met some who even before my child was born was smiling and advising me to get lots of rest because once that baby comes I wont get any sleep for 6 months! They have a dire prediction for every age group! I learned to smile back and say, we'll see.

Oh my Pikachu, what a day. How did you get to work?

REf. my church experience. I took my parents out to lunch and we talked about everything but the sermon. They know me and they know how I felt about what was said I'm sure. I guess they didn't feel right apologizing for the preacher. I will wait until the topic comes up again and then explain that that type of disrespect of another's political opinion is unnecessary and inappropriate. They know I'm done. I might not agree with someone, but I respect their right to their opinion. And I don't think they are evil, because I disagree with them.

What is really sad is that kids are being exposed to that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    So glad to hear you are feeling better, Gutmutter. I hope you have a full recovery soon!

This is not a trouble, so much as an annoyance: I hate it when people tell me my daughter's are going to turn into hellions as they get older. When they were little and heading into pre-teens people told me to wait until they were a little older, they will turn awful. Now that they are teens, people tell me to wait until they are 15 or 16 and how impossible they will be. My kid's are 13 and 14 and lovely people. When I insist they are, I get a sarcastic, "oh, so they are just so perfect, aren't they?" Yuck. Why does everyone insist my kids must be awful to be normal teens? We have a great relationship (yes, they fight once in a while and disappear into their rooms and push buttons and stuff but nothing heinous) but we talk and they still like to be with me so I'm hoping to keep that relationship going right through to adulthood. I'm not sure why, but it makes me SO irritable!
    That always annoyed me too. It started before my son was born and continued through his college years. We had our normal ups and downs and some days I admit, I wanted to pinch his head off. But, He grew into a wonderful young man that I am extremely proud of and enjoy his company. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your children and will be able to enjoy them as adults. Just you wait...you'll see...
    spockwhat likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think it's normal for kids to rebel in their pre-teens/teens and it is still possible for them to turn into people that you like and are proud of; I don't believe, for one minute that it means that they tell you everything, nor would that be normal. I remember when I was under the delusion that I knew everything about my son and that he was doing everything right. I did come to find out that that couldn't have been further from the truth, and it broke my heart.......but I knew that I had to get real. I did discover that the saying about teens, "when their mouths are moving, they are lying." That's their job; thinking back on my teen years, I remember how I worked to maintain MY privacy, and did whatever it took with my mother. Did I lie?? OF COURSE I DID.....who didn't? My business was MY business, and not hers. I let her into some areas of my life, but definitely not all....and we were extremely close. I told her more as I became an adult, and we had a good laugh, and it felt good. She'd get that knowing look in her eye, and I understood that she had been there, too. My son and I have that kind of relationship, to this day.
    spockwhat likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I lost a veneer over the weekend! It fell out, but I caught it and it's not damaged. And my dentist is on vacation this week! Lucky for me, they have agreed to get me in to another office today. I don't know him though and am terrified he may not be experienced with veneers and mess it up. I pray it goes well.

+ Reply to Thread