+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Sorry Fanny Mare. We who still have our fathers are lucky indeed. I hope you feel better today.
    Thanks Debb. I hope you had a great day with your Father
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    at the kitten glue trap story--what an image!

For all of you in Lyme country (which includes me--been there, done that, and it is one mean sickness), just was reading a story in the paper the other day about Lyme--that while the majority of the cases present with the bullseye, a LOT don't. Some don't even have a rash. Since the PR for the bullseye has been so effective even many doctors don't know that a substantial minority (like 40% or so) of cases do NOT have it. So, just beware. As was said above, if you get the right drugs for it early you get off with just the "flu" symptoms, but if you don't it can dig in deep and cause all kinds of serious long term problems--one friend who got it in the early days before they realized it was in our part of the woods (literally) wound up needing a pacemaker for a while and even went blind for a while. So even if there's no bullseye it is worth being tested for Lyme if you are in Lyme country.

Also, re spider bites, even if it is non venemous, you can get an infected bite, get cystitis, get blood poisoning, etc., and DIE. So hope you are all cleared up now! I tell you, it is worth investing in a good full length mirror if you live alone, not for vanity but for health! And then use it! When I had my Lyme, I had the bullseye, but not where I could see it without a mirror, and as I was feeling so bad I never looked---and neither did my sig. other.
    Yes, I have a friend out on a LOA right now fighting Lyme disease. She did not have the target mark - she just felt off and not healthy for years. Went through all these diet changes thinking it was allergies to food. They actually finally found it because she also has mercury poisoning! I did not know this, but apparently while most of us ingest small amounts of mercury (usually from eating fish) and just pass it out, if you have Lyme disease, the mercury actually attaches itself to the Lyme. So on top of having Lyme disease, she now has toxic levels of mercury in her system. She had to take a leave of absence because the treatments were really taking their toll on her and trying to focus full time at a stressful job was just not allowing her body to heal.

Just an update on my SIL. I think I mentioned previously that I just didn't feel like we were getting the full story. Well, we finally got it. She is stage 4. Basically they have told her that absent a miracle (which we are all praying for), average life expectancy is 44 months after diagnosis. We are all just rallying together to provide as much support for her and the family as we possibly can. Other than that, we keep saying our prayers and hoping for a miracle.

ETA: And if I learned anything from this experience - STOP SMOKING and get your yearly annual physical!!! If they had caught this earlier, it was pretty treatable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate it when doctors give expectancy times because, then, people tend to start living by the calendar.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I don't know, I'd think I'd want to to have a ballpark figure--it would definitely impact some of my life choices.
    candor, Jamie5632 and KatesMom like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Them, and your body, may not even be playing in the same ballpark.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

KatesMom said :"average life expectancy is 44 months"

These things remind me of that old saying about if you keep looking at a tree while you are driving and worrying that you're going to hit it .... you probably will hit it. That might not be the precisely accurate old saying but you get my point I hope.

When they say you have a 95 percent of a bad outcome they are covering their butts ... concentrate on the 5 percent good outcome. In your sil's case ... here's hoping her outcome is netter than average. Prayers and good thoughts and expectations for her, you and yours.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My doctor never gave me any kind of statistics when I had cancer, which I thought was odd.
    I'm sorry about your SIL KatesMom. Also sorry to hear she's been told she has under a year to live. That isn't necessarily true, but must be a scary thing to hear.
    KatesMom likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Cancer can be unpredictable. My mom's best friend was in her 70's when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The day before she was to go in for surgery, she had a car accident and was seriously injured. She was in ICU for months. She was too weak to treat for cancer or do surgery. She was not expected to live from the accident injuries, but she hung on and survived. After months went by, they checked her cancer status and she had no sign of it! That was about 7 years ago and she still is cancer free! They have no explanation for it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Back to Lyme disease---very interesting story in this week's New Yorker magazine, July 1st issue, has a bunch of little cartoons on the cover. Apparently there is a controversy about whether the standard antibiotic treatment cures it or just drives it into hiding....and the vast range of symptoms that can go along with it...and the quarter or so of cases with no bulls eye rash. Also, that it is now a nationwide disease--east west south to Florida--not always with the same tick host. I'm about halfway through...fascinating.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope they're wrong about the antibiotic treatment.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread