+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree966Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

It looks like I won't be going to culinary school in New York after all. It's all because of a little thing called money. I'd rather not get into details.

I'm being encouraged to move to NYC anyway. I'm still undecided about that, but I'm leaning toward going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    My other suggestion would be to have a friend who will be honest do a mock interview with you and give you an honest assessment. Also, somewhere there is a thread about job interviews that has a lot of good suggestions. Good luck dberk. Sometimes it just takes patience.
    Thank everyone!

Mariner: I couldn't find the thread about job interviews under General. Am I looking at the wrong place?

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    I just found out that I didn't get two jobs that I had interviewed for. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry to hear that.

If you felt comfortable asking why you didn't get the job I would ask, with a little comment about how interested you were in the job because .

The reason you didn't get the job may have nothing to do with you, someone else could have been a better fit. What kind of jobs were they? Is it in a field you have experence in or are you trying to break into a new field?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Mariner: I couldn't find the thread about job interviews under General. Am I looking at the wrong place?
    Here's the link to that thread, dberk!

FORT's "Job Interviews" Thread

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    It looks like I won't be going to culinary school in New York after all. It's all because of a little thing called money. I'd rather not get into details.

I'm being encouraged to move to NYC anyway. I'm still undecided about that, but I'm leaning toward going for it.
    I'm so sorry to hear that.

Thanks for linking the job interviews thread Pom. Sleepy, I'm so sorry to hear that school appears out of reach at the moment. Do you know anyone in NY or would you just be moving there on your own?

Here's my annoyance/trouble for today:

I am supposed to start teaching English in September. The NYC BOE gave me a commitment letter and told me to interview on my own or they will place me, although there is a chance I won't even get placed for September. If they place me and I refuse the school, I cannot teach in NYC public schools for two years. So I did months of interviewing and narrowed it down to two. One was a few blocks from my house and I had to give a sample lesson. They called me at 5:45 on Friday to cancel for that Monday. They gave me a number to confirm and reschedule - I called and got an answering machine. Since by saturday I heard no response I made other plans for Monday (which included going to the doctor where I found out I was dehydrated and had some heat stroke because I didn't have air conditioning and it was so bad in NY at that time). The guy calls on the Sunday before that Monday, at 9:50 at night, when I was asleep - fitfully. And leaves a message that he's worried that I haven't gotten back to him, but that he doesn't have access to the phoen that he gave me the number too (uhm, duh!) and wants to reschedule. I call back, get another anwering machine, tell him to call me tomorrow to reschedule. He then doesn't call on Monday morning, so I call, get him, and ask when he wants to reschedule. He wants to do it an hour later than our original time - if he wanted that, he shouldn't have canceled for that day! I tell him I can't fit it in, he calls back and says okay, two hours later. I tell him I can't (at that time I'm buying an airconditioner). So he never calls me back or answers. Ever. Again. So I think - fine, he was rude and disorganized and do I want to work for a principal like that? I had another offer and I accept. They say okay, they'll call me back with details. No call. Two days go by - I call again, no answer. Then I get an e-mail saying they are sorry they offered it, because their budget has been cut so they can't afford another teacher right now.

So, now I have no teaching gig. I did turn down another offer to work at this school that just dumped me - in an e-mail. So the BOE sends me to a job fair. There are hundreds of teachers, many English - and I only see about 7-10 English openings. It was absolutely viscious in there. I do get one interview set up for Monday, but now I'm feeling pretty dejected. I'm either going to not get a job for next year, which would be SOOO horrible because I went back to temping for the summer and was looking forward to not having to pay 550 a month for health insurance, or I'm going to be placed in a horrific situation. To top of this week, all my friends were out of town for my birthday (except you great guys here ) and others that were supposed to help me move stuff down to a community garage sale this weekend backed out, so I don't know how I'm going to deal moving the shelves I wanted to sell, and the clothes/books and sitting there from 9-5 w/out someone to spot me so I can use the restroom.

Thanks for letting me to Vent! This little thread has saved me so much in therapy costs!

And sleepy - sorry to hear about that! If you need a place to stay in NY and promise to cook, feel free to crash here! I can also send links to hostels if you just want to stay in the city for a few days. I've met people who lived in the one on 103 and Amsterdam for 3 months to fulfill his NY dream.

dberk, sorry you didn't get the jobs you interviewed for. Like someone else said, have a friend do a mock interview with you. Hopefully that will help you pin point what (if anything) you are doing wrong.

sleepy, I'm so sorry that you won't be attending the Culinary Institute. Maybe you can try again next year. Don't ever give up on your dream.

Glitter, what a horrible situation that principal put you in. If he was just organized, you wouldn't be going through this. I hope everything works out for you.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    Sorry to hear that.

If you felt comfortable asking why you didn't get the job I would ask, with a little comment about how interested you were in the job because .

The reason you didn't get the job may have nothing to do with you, someone else could have been a better fit. What kind of jobs were they? Is it in a field you have experence in or are you trying to break into a new field?
    The first job I interviewed for was at an insurance company. I was over qualified for the entry level position since I have 20 years experience in that field, but just wanted to get my foot in the door.

The second job was secretarial/bookkeeping for a local business. I have a lot of experience in this, but that was years ago.

Pom, thanks for the link. I'm headed there now.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    dberk - I empathise with you here. I know anytime I've tried to apply for a job for which I was over-qualified, I was met with suspicious looks and questions re why would I want to take a step down. I've been told that people who interview over-qualified applicants don't think you'll be staying long, that you may be looking for a step up - leaving them in the same predicament. I don't know how helpful that is, but that's what I've been told.

Good luck on the search!

+ Reply to Thread