+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    ...Funny thing is that he is the person who got me thinking about Aspartame. He does not sell diet sodas in his pharmacy. He told my mom that they would kill you. I guess he was talking about the Aspartame in them.
    That goes with what I've learned from my nurse friends and pharmacy/nursing-student cousins.
    Among other artificial/convenience/corporate big-agra food crap, I quit Aspartame over a decade ago. No regrets; don't miss it.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    That goes with what I've learned from my nurse friends and pharmacy/nursing-student cousins.
    Among other artificial/convenience/corporate big-agra food crap, I quit Aspartame over a decade ago. No regrets; don't miss it.
    I think I can stay away from Aspartame. It will require some thought. I am a Type I diabetic, so think nothing of getting sugar free jello as a treat. No more of that. I also would usually get the lower sugar products in ice cream, cookies, etc. Since I will be avoiding the sugar substitute, I will probably have to take more insulin. We'll see how that works. Lately, I'm consuming more fresh and canned fruit instead of processed sweet treats.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I never understood why people like those nasty diet sodas anyway. Yuck! Water is the way to go!!! Yum!! I'm sure a little every now and then will not hurt you. We overdo damn near everything in this country.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It's not that I was a huge diet soft drink consumer. I would have about 6-8 ounces of diet 7 Up per day. Probably not enough to hurt you, but still, there are the foods that also contain Aspartame. I suspect Diabetics consume more than others since, we have to count our carbs, (same as sugar) to determine how much insulin to take to cover them.

I was enjoying some nice tasting flavored water, when I noticed it had quite a bit of sodium. I don't need that.

Plain water is good, but I just like a little something extra at times. lol

Having even ANY Aspartame daily is too much, IMO. Those kinds of chemicals can build up in your body when you ingest them regularly. I can't even imagine what that stuff does to your liver. I used to drink a lot of diet soda, but I finally quit when someone sent me an article listing all the potential side effects of Aspartame. It scared the hell out of me.

Water and iced tea is pretty much all I drink now. It's cheaper and better for you anyway.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ok, I'm an idiot when it comes to these things! Is Aspartame in all artificial sweeteners? I use Splenda in my coffee - I thought I was switching to the "better" artificial sweetener?

FORT Fogey

I stopped drinking diet soda several months ago when I read that aspartame could cause irreversible brain damage, strokes, and heart attacks. Also, if you don't eat meat or dairy, you will have low cholesterol. And, when I called Walgreens to ask a question about a certain type of soap, the pharmacy department answered the phone by saying, "Walgreens. Have you had your flu shot yet?" I thought flu season was over. I've never had a flu shot.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I drink mostly iced tea and water as well. Usually plain water, but also water with mint, lemon, lime, or Angastorra bitters. I love sparkling water, but it's so expensive.

Do any of you use stevia as a sweetener? I rarely sweeten my drinks, but when I do, I've been using that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

One of my sons has switched to a kind of fizzy water called Syfo in a quest to give up soda (gives him the bubbles effect without the sugar/artificial sweeteners thing) and the other has bought a charger thing that injects bubbles into a bottle of water. My guess is that's cheaper than buying the Syfo---the charger fills a big bottle of water that you keep in the fridge and pour out when needed. The bubbles seem to stay in as well as they do a 2 liter bottle of soda. I've asked for one for my upcoming birthday, going to try to make the switch to water.

Good luck with the pharmacist, Debb--let us know what he comes up with!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Thanks, PWS, for the tip. On Amazon, a seltzer bottle is $46 + shipping. If you buy the C02 cartridges in packs of 100, the cost is about 50 cents per quart.

+ Reply to Thread