+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1953Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Talk about your troubles

Yes, that's a good suggestion, the side effects. I developed some side effects to one of my long time meds--not a common one, but one where you had to read the whole package insert practically to find it. My doc switched me to a another med and poof! the side effect vanished.

My dad's GP and the ER doctor saw my dad have a terrible episode in the ER. They were in shock and told my mom to call the family. My mom said they looked at each other and just froze. They didn't know what it was. Later, the ER doctor told the family that he suspected a medication he was taking could be the cause. He was not on any new meds when this happened, the first time in Jan. Then they returned in March. I researched the med theory as best I could online, but didn't find much. I'm not sure what his GP has to say about it. They are not going to really research this. My dad is a heart patient. The GP isn't going to do anything about his heart meds. He defers to the cardiologist and the cardiologist doesn't think it's his meds. I've asked about that.

I did find some interesting theories on Aspartame. lol Seriously, I've decided to give it up. I like decaf iced tea better than sodas anyway. I'm not sure if the scary stories about aspartame are true, but, I'm going to lay off of it for a few months and see what happens to me. I'm going to suggest it to my dad too, though, I'm not sure if he will go for it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, I know I'm going off thread now, but as a drinker of diet Coke and unsweetened iced tea I want to know if I should switch to only iced tea--what does aspartame do supposedly?

Back on thread---they SAW an episode and they still aren't going to try to figure out what the problem is????

The local ER transfered my dad to a larger hospital where his cardiologist practices and where the hospital has a very good Neurology dept. It's a highly rated hospital. Once he's left the ER, he's not their patient. They drop it after that. He returns to his GP, but he just deferrs to the cardiologist. The cardiologist says go back to the neurologist and the neurologist says he's stumped. What do you do? I have to keep trying to figure this out or find someone who isn't too busy to really research it. He has not had an episode since he went on the heart monitor.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

This is a site where you can enter various symptoms or combination of symptoms:

Symptom Checker - check medical symptoms at RightDiagnosis

This page has some possible causes of neck spasms:

Neck Spasm - Causes - Better Medicine

As you all have been discussing, side effects are a possibility. When multiple drugs are involved, it gets impossible to determine whether a symptom is a side effect of a particular drug or an interaction between two or more drugs without either going off drugs altogether or eliminating the drugs in reverse order of when they were prescribed.

Thanks to all for your information and tips.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Have you talked to a pharmacist? They can be very helpful, and have been known to come up with ideas that no one has considered.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Debb07--it is surprising how sometimes even nurses can guess the answer (I will not say diagnose, because they cannot do that). I have heard of a few instances where a nurse friend who is just listening to a list of the problems said that sounds like blah blah blah and no one before came up with the correct diagnosis.

Aspartame--some will say that it is not healthy. For years I drank diet soda. And I would drink more and more chasing a taste I suppose. The other chemical that they advertise as "healthy" gave me the worst hot flashes ever. There is no way that could be healthy. So we have different bodies that react to chemicals in different ways. I use no artificial sweeteners. And I try to limit my deserts to the weekends.
    prhoshay and Ellen like this.
    You can do it!

Have you talked to a pharmacist? They can be very helpful, and have been known to come up with ideas that no one has considered.
    it is surprising how sometimes even nurses can guess the answer (I will not say diagnose, because they cannot do that). I have heard of a few instances where a nurse friend who is just listening to a list of the problems said that sounds like blah blah blah and no one before came up with the correct diagnosis.
    Yes to both of these.
    Just in my recent experiences:
    (a) my husband's skin- and prostate-cancer stuff, and the medical professionals who have been the most helpful with the most helpful or useful info, and
    (b) editing/proofreading papers for some of my young cousins in university now preparing for various professions, including future pharmacist and future nurse,
    I've learned that they have to know A LOT of scientific, clinical information. And that they don't have the same corporate/political pressures or obligations or whatever as do physicians (in some aspects) -- so they have the freedom to be, to some degree, more candid and honest than the typical U.S. HMO physician, and just as well informed for most practical purposes.

When it comes to making important health decisions -- yeah, talking to nurses and pharmacists are at the top of my list.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I will look into the suggestions.

My dad's pharmacist actually owns his pharmacy and grew up as friends with my parent's family. He's super nice. His pharmacy is closed on nights and weekends, but he has told them to call him at home anytime if they need a prescription filled. We appreciate this. I don't want to overstep bounds, but may shoot him an email and see what he has to say about my dad's spells and his meds.

Funny thing is that he is the person who got me thinking about Aspartame. He does not sell diet sodas in his pharmacy. He told my mom that they would kill you. I guess he was talking about the Aspartame in them.
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread