+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Johnny, I am afflicted with severe mood swings, and have been for most of my life. I prefer not to take medication if I can help it, but I keep on the lookout for naturopathic sort of things that can help. My sister recommended 5-HTP to me, which is on the same shelf as the vitamins at the drug store. I researched it and it doesn't seem to have any side effects, though is is contraindicated for anyone taking inhibitors (which I refuse to take), so I gave it a whirl. It took a couple of weeks, but my insomnia has broken and my mood seems to have levelled off at pretty decent, so I'm pretty happy with the stuff. I'm not necessarily suggesting that you immediately start taking it, but you might want to do some research.

Good luck.
    I work at a pharmacy and I've never heard of 5-HTP so I had to google it and see what it is. The information I found is kind of scary.

Donít use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.
    5-HTP: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

I found this on the first site I clicked on which is WebMD.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've got the blues today. My daughter coming home for TG chose to go off with friends yesterday instead of spending the day with me as planned. It was to be our only full day together. She didn't get home until after I had gone to bed and the dinner I had made for us was chilling in the fridge. My other daughter ruined my surprise visit I'm making to the family reunion in Ohio by telling my mom about it. I only told my daughter so she wouldn't make plans to fly in and surprise me here and I swore her to secrecy. I had my first date in 3 decades two days ago and was sharing some of the details in a family e-mail to my mom and siblings. My mom wrote back tearing the whole thing apart and suggesting the man is crazy. I feel like one of those pathetic, deflated balloons that have gone all wrinkly and soft.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I've got the blues today. My daughter coming home for TG chose to go off with friends yesterday instead of spending the day with me as planned. It was to be our only full day together. She didn't get home until after I had gone to bed and the dinner I had made for us was chilling in the fridge. My other daughter ruined my surprise visit I'm making to the family reunion in Ohio by telling my mom about it. I only told my daughter so she wouldn't make plans to fly in and surprise me here and I swore her to secrecy. I had my first date in 3 decades two days ago and was sharing some of the details in a family e-mail to my mom and siblings. My mom wrote back tearing the whole thing apart and suggesting the man is crazy. I feel like one of those pathetic, deflated balloons that have gone all wrinkly and soft.
    Looks a like a time to step back and do some self therapy, pamper yourself, make plans for you only - don't share information with Mom.
    cablejockey and Lizard like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gut, I'm happy for your date!! Children..... I was going to say "sometimes need to be seen and not heard", but not really! I'm sorry that your daughter didn't spend the time with you on the first day home. Maybe she forgot what your free time was. I don't know what to say about the spent secrets, but I'm sorry your surprise was broken! I'm sending you a hug, "hope you had fun", "no way!", and "never again!"

Gutmutter - yay for the date, and your daughter coming home, and your plans to visit Ohio; so sorry for the spoiled surprise, and the disappointment from your mom and daughters' actions. (Sometimes it seems like family can be a little careless with feelings, even if no bad intentions were meant. )
    I hope the remainder of your week turns around, so that you can feel re-inflated and enjoy the holiday.
    remember to play

Gutmutter. Because you have not dated anyone and have been fine, your mother is just getting overly protective. And even if she hikes it up to the EXTREME, she will eventually chill out. You could tell her she is stressing you if you want to throw up a defense.

I bet the daughters will stick to you like glue when they are a little older.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving. And always be good to yourself Gutmutter.
    You can do it!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Gutmutter, I'm sorry you've got a touch of the blues. I think our adult children are similar ages and I have to say whenever my adult son (27) comes home for a quick visit, I rarely have his undivided attention. I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to spend time with you, but rather with catching up with old friends whom she might not get to see that often. It's too bad your daughter spilled your secret but I doubt it was intentional. As for Mom....well, I don't know what to say about that but please don't let her misgivings get you down. Good for you for sharing wonderful you with a new someone! I know soon you will be enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving feast prepared by your daughter so hopefully this will lift your spirits.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thinking of you, Johnny K, and hoping you are feeling a bit better today.
    JohnnyK likes this.

I thank everyone for their kind words. Sometimes you just get down and have to struggle through it. Feeling a bit better this evening.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry that all happened Gutmutter! I hope you spent some time together with your daughter even if it was for a little while! and I hope your reunion goes well! I know some of what you have posted in the past about your mom so let that stuff just roll off your shoulders! You have a good head on you so go with your 'gut' (no pun intended!) and enjoy the dates and time with the new guy! Have a great holiday!

+ Reply to Thread