+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

One thing us exercisers have come to know is that you've got to love what you do, or it will be useless for you! Walking and "Curves" just happens to work for me.

I think running is hideous, therefore I do not partake. I don't think the alignment of my legs is suitable for running.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The only thing I will willingly run for is if there is a sno-cone or ice cream truck cruising through the area and I have some spare change on me. If someone would start an exercise program like that, I'd be very tempted to become a member! Have us run a set distance every day and then we get a frozen treat at the end.
    prhoshay, nennie and Debb70 like this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    The only thing I will willingly run for is if there is a sno-cone or ice cream truck cruising through the area and I have some spare change on me. If someone would start an exercise program like that, I'd be very tempted to become a member! Have us run a set distance every day and then we get a frozen treat at the end.
    I give myself a treat.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Newbie

My trouble is my insecurity with my job. It keeps haunting me always.

My troubles is.... pain in the neck... it just won't go away.

Perhaps someone can offer some advice on something that is troubling me. It's about my parents. They are in their 70's, but quite active, though they tire more now. The problem is that a certain couple of family members have started to visit them on almost a daily basis, usually at meal time and stay a long time. They either seem to expect my mom to cook for them or they wish to enter the kitchen and prepare their own food.

My parents love to see these family members, but it's gotten too much and for too long. (At least 6 out of 7 days per week.) They will come at lunch and stay until dinner, hinting they are hungry. I've tried to step in, but my mom is too afraid of hurting their feelings. I think my parents are being take advantage of. And it's costing my parents triple what it normally would. My thought is if you are that rude, you should have your feelings hurt.

These are people who buy most of what they want. They have cell phones, cars, etc. Why they don't buy their own food and go home and prepare it escapes me. They never bring any food with them or offer any money, in fact one of them asks for money too!
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think you're totally in your rights to say something to people who do that. Remind them that your parents are on a fixed income and can't afford to support guests who invite themselves over for meals. Perhaps you should suggest that they bring food with them (already prepared food, like from a restaurant) for themselves and your parents when they come to visit or change their visiting times so it doesn't coincide with mealtimes. I would also suggest to them that they make their visits less frequent because the total number of people visiting is overwhelming to your parents and they need some time to rest instead of constantly entertaining visitors.

You can try to put it in a nice way, like maybe they didn't realize what they were doing. If they keep on doing it, though, you might have to get more direct and nasty with them. Some people just can't take a hint.

It's terrible that people act that way. You have to protect your parents, though, since this can't go on.
    livin4reality and Debb70 like this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Thanks Pickachu. I think I will say something. I had thought about just buying a loaf of bread and peanut butter and setting that aside for the guests, but it seems odd to tell the guests to eat that, while my mom preprares her regular food for her and my dad. I don't think my mom would be comfortable with that.

My mom has called them before and told them she would not be at home so not to come, but they wait a couple of hours and come anyway. I think it's time they were informed the polite way to act. I'll say it nicely.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks Pickachu. I think I will say something. I had thought about just buying a loaf of bread and peanut butter and setting that aside for the guests, but it seems odd to tell the guests to eat that, while my mom preprares her regular food for her and my dad. I don't think my mom would be comfortable with that.

My mom has called them before and told them she would not be at home so not to come, but they wait a couple of hours and come anyway. I think it's time they were informed the polite way to act. I'll say it nicely.

I agree with both of you...but, make sure your parents know what you are doing and are okay with you stepping in. It could turn into a messy situation for you and a lot of hurt feelings if they don't back you up.

Yes,I agree with inthegarden we tried this with my MIL. It turned out somehow, the rest of the family thought we were being the bad guys.She was too embarrassed to back us up.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread