+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Just wanted to give a little update...last week I was called for an interview in my old department and they offered me the job earlier this week and I took it. Things have gotten even worse since then, even tho I have been killing her with kindness. Ive come to the conclusion there must be issues elsewhere in her life, but why she only takes it out on only me I will never know (maybe because I cry so I seem to be weakest?). Once it was announced to my old co workers that i was coming back I cant tell you the amount of support (we missed you, etc) I got. I know I have done the right thing, I just have to make it thru the next month Thanks again for all the input!
    Lizard and Cootie like this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Good for you, AmyKay! I hope in the future you end up in a higher position than that petty woman. You would know how to treat your employees with respect so you wouldn't make them feel the way your current employer makes you feel. I'm glad you got a job out of there. I'll cross my fingers for you that new opportunities come your way.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to make someone a supervisor in the section they work in precisely for this reason. I felt like my boss never claimed authority because he was already friends with some people in the office and he never made an attempt to respect me as an employee because he had already written me off when we were co-workers.

People give great advice here. When you have not done anything antagonistic and get poor treatment, the reason always is lack of confidence on that other person's part. You should not feel bad about it. It really is nothing you can fix or do anything about. Just act in a way that invites the least drama.

Be kind to yourself and do not judge how people treat you. Just spend you time on positive things.

Congrats on the job move!
    You can do it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I still think you should have treated her like she didn't even exist! It may be a little passive-aggressive, but it works! And, like you said, she went after you because you gave her a reaction that made her feel superior....and people will do what they think works.

Congratulations on your new position.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Sorry, but I have to vent about my stupid co-workers.

Our previous boss left at the beginning of July. A supervisor from another section is now our boss but he hasn't spent one day in his office with us yet. I sent him an email once to tell him about a problem with misdirected problem and offer a few ideas for solutions. He never did respond to me or even acknowledge that he received my email.

My co-workers are really taking advantage of the lack of supervision. Two of them already only work until 3:30 and that was fine when we had another co-worker who stayed until 5:00. Unfortunately they only person who worked until 5 besides me had a stroke a few months ago and it's still in a rehab center. I'm the only one here until 5 but I don't have the information the case reviewers do so I can't answer questions for people calling us.

It bothers me to have people call at 3:45 (which is a reasonably early time to call a business, not 5 minutes before they close) and have to tell them I can only take a message and have someone call them back the following day. If I was a supervisor, I would insist that one of the case reviewers stay until 5:00. Whether they wanted to split it up by one person stay Monday, Wednesday, Friday, the other person stay Tuesday, Thursday, or alternate weeks staying until 5, whataever. They could work that out between them.

I was taught that if you know you're going to be off work, you should notify your supervisor ahead of time to get permission and give them a chance to make sure enough people will be there as needed. One co-worker sent an email at 9 this morning saying he was leaving at 3:00. Another co-worker sent an email at 2:30 saying she was leaving at 3:00. To me, that's just not enough notice.

I'd like to leave before 5 too once in a while but if I take off, there would be no one here to answer phones.

I also have a gripe about the fertilizer section. Almost every day I get a phone call at 4:30 from someone in their section saying everyone is gone and asking if they can forward the phones to our section. I don't feel like I can say no so I agree but I really resent it. If they need someone to answer their phone, shouldn't it be their responsibility to make sure someone is in their section until 5? I'm not getting paid extra for answering their phones and I don't even work in that section so I feel llike I'm being taken advantage of.

While I'm on a rant, I'll add another incident that happened today. We hired a new co-worker recently and she decided that she wanted to get rid off a bunch of surplus supplies we have in our office. I can understand up to a point. If we no longer have a particular printer, we don't need to hang onto toner cartridges for it. However, if it's a surplus of things that are still useful, like manilla folders, 3 ring binders, pendiflex folders, etc. I think we should either hold onto them so we don't have to order more in the future or see if another office can use them instead of putting them in the trash. Our office paid for all that stuff and it's a waste to toss it out.

After the cleanup, I peeked in the boxes to make sure there wasn't anything I might use, put aside some thing I didn't think should be thrown out (including parts to our desks), and put some boxes out in the hall with a sign for other offices to help themselves to whatever they wanted. Later in the day, I noticed someone had put a pot with fake flowers (looked like weeds) in the spot where all the surplus supplies had been. Please tell me that the main reason the cleanup was done wasn't to display those cheap, ugly fake weeds! :

I think I'm going to need a drink after work.

That is great news AmyKay! I hope the time passes quickly for you.

Pikachu I'm sorry. It sounds as though you are having to pick up the slack for your irresponsible co-workers.
    To bad they couldn't donate the surplus supplies to a school or to a people or animal shelter.

At least I don't have to feel bad about taking work time to get pictures ready for the Project Runway forum each week. With everyone else goofing off and leaving early, I dare anyone to complain about me! At least my other work is caught up when I'm doing my personal stuff.
    AmyKay likes this.

pikachu I feel your pain. yet again today I was told what an attitude I have and how Im not a team player. I can NEVER say no, because then I wont be a team player. Sorry I dont have any advice for you myself!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

That story kills me. I have to buy manilla folders with my own money because our school budget won't cover them. I'm talking over $50 of my own money to cover all the students I have during the year and I turn them inside out and reuse them for other students.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That story kills me. I have to buy manilla folders with my own money because our school budget won't cover them. I'm talking over $50 of my own money to cover all the students I have during the year and I turn them inside out and reuse them for other students.
    That's awful. But admirable of you to do that.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread