+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I do everything I can, as a teacher, to make sure bullying isn't happening in my classroom or in the halls, but it's so frustrating how many teachers don't bother to come out between classes for hall duty (it's required in our contracts) or stand in a group talking with their backs to the students, or leave their classrooms unattended to go copy papers or whatever (also not permitted). It drives me crazy. Of course with the internet and phones, not all the bullying happens in school, but it carries over. It's the one thing I'll really get angry about.
    Count your blessings!

Bullying is still alive and well. Sarah has had problems with it since 4th grade. There was a kid that picked on her endlessly. Either telling her she couldn't do anything if it happened on the playground to actually telling me that the boy has ADHD like that is an excuse. Last I checked ADHD was an attention problem, not a problem knowing right from wrong.

Now, in 8th grade, there are boys who are constantly calling them names and Thursday one of them punched her. She doesn't have school again til Tuesday, but you can bet momma bear will be calling to get this solved. She just wants to go to school and learn. I hate picking her up and having her break down because of these kids.

On the bright side, she has a friend that has been a friend since 6th grade. He wrote on her facebook wall Thursday telling her how great she is and to not let others get her down. I told her to thank him and to tell him her mom approved of her marriage to him. She wasn't impressed with the last part.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The "It Gets Better" concept isn't only for LBBTQ kids...maybe it would help some of the bullied kids you all know to look at that site. The point being it doesn't really matter why you were bullied, only to know that if you hang on things do (for most) get better.
    Of course even better would be schools that don't put up with it.

I recently took a grad course about gender differences and the thing that really took me aback was the recommendation that if your child is being seriously bullied, you should move them to another school. I guess ingrained bullying is really hard to stop once a child has been targeted. Sad. But it's not just kids. I've seen adults do it, too. We have one teacher who is a pariah on her team, and when one of them talks about bullying, I think, "Really? Have you looked in the mirror lately?"
    Count your blessings!

Dagwood I'm so sorry that your daughter has been having a rough time. I hope that she can rise above it and remain being the sweet girl that she is.
    PWS Thanks for mentioning the "It Gets Better" campaign. A good friend of mine who is now a succesfull playwrite/actor retured to his HS to share his story . Anthony Wilkinson: "It Gets Better" - YouTube
    CYA

My daughter called me sobbing today because she just learned her father (my ex) has cancer. He talked with my younger daughter, who called my older daughter. My son doesn't know yet. Both girls are understandably upset. I'm a cancer survivor, so I know he has a tough row ahead of him, but I kept telling both daughters that there have been a lot of advances in cancer treatment and it's not automatically a death sentence. He will find out more next week about the specific kind of cancer (lymphoma - Hodgkin's or non-Hodgkin's).
    Anyone with a prayer to spare - I'm hoping he has a successful treatment and my children can find solace.
    Count your blessings!

I will send good vibes for your Ex Gutmutter.

Praying, Gut.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Aw, man — cancer sucks. Sending warm, positive thoughts your way.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best wishes for your ex Gut
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread