+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Excellent post, Poppy Fields. I remember when I was at my bleakest (mid-divorce, needed an apartment with 3 teens, budget cuts and pink-slipped temporarily) I came across a Zen passage in a little book called "Life Without Stress". In the chapter about being fully present in the moment, it had you ask yourself some questions: Am I in physical danger in this moment? Do I have a safe place to stay? Do I have enough food to nourish me? If those basic areas are covered, then you can relax in the moment. The past and the future are illusions. All we really have is the present moment and the only control we have is our CHOICE of how we view it and respond to it. Reading and understanding that stopped the anxiety attacks I had been having and helped me move through that time with an appreciation for what I had... not fear of what might happen or anxiety over what I didn't have.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Exactly. Control what you can. Recognize the difference between what you can control and what you can't. That's what the Serenity Prayer right? Makes serious, comforting sense.

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

--author, Reinhold Niebuhr

"God" is whomever you do or don't need for him to be.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I really never write about death because I know that there are no words that I could write that capture how important our family members are to us. When my baby sister passed away 17 years ago at her age of 20, I could not sort the pieces of why bad things happen to good people. I would just be happy to sit at her gravesite and not talk to anyone.

You would think I would not to sweat everything else. I guess our minds just grab onto things

My attending to that which should be attended to is really a kindness to others even though they might not think it.

My parents seem restful of their health worried. I want them to have a restful good new year.
    You can do it!

I am not sure if this is in the right forum but I am troubled a bit about a phone call I received saying my computer has 7000 corrupted files on it...blah blah blah. The guy went on and on about being a supervisor of some company and gave me this long number, then had me do some things...the numbers matched what was said on my computer and being I don't know a whole lot about computers I came here. Now I realized later in the phone call when the guy directed me to some site for anti virus stuff for $189.00 and got mad when I wouldn't sign up and give a credit card number or a debit card number that I might be being scammed and hung up after he told me to call my husband at work for his credit card number etc etc. Long story short, I called the number back and there was a recording from some federal dept saying that it was a fraud. I guess my question is should I be worried even if I didn't give them my address, or any other important personal information? I guess I am freaking out because now I feel like this person can see everything I am doing online. I am so glad I didn't give any credit card info but still am worried. Is there anyone on here who can tell me or explain to me how they would know the numbers in my computer....I can't remember what he called it but they matched what was in my computer. I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I had a stroke a year ago, lost some of my memory (short term) and can't explain things in the right wording anymore........help?

I have heard of this scam and its been going after people for all over North America. Their main aim is get you to buy their protection stuff. so its good that they dont have your credit card number. If you have your own security softwear--Noton etc then use it to give your computer a scan and get rid of anything they have done to it so they could see everything on your screen.

To add on to the last post, if you don't have updated anti-virus software there are free products out there that are extremely useful. I use a combination of these two free products to secure my home computer.

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Malwarebytes (Just click the "Download Now" links for the free version - you just get additional direct support for paying)
    Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
    cablejockey likes this.

Thanks, I redid and re downloaded everything...took my husband all day but I feel better, changed all my passwords so I feel a bit safer now.
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shyra View Post
    Thanks, I redid and re downloaded everything...took my husband all day but I feel better, changed all my passwords so I feel a bit safer now.
    I would, if I were you, contact the police, though.
    By the way, the type of stuff they knew - the numbers, etc.- is fairly common info that anyone, even with minimal computer knowledge - can easily glean.

Still, call the police so that they can be aware.

Good luck!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think this might be the scam you experienced:

Unsolicited phonecall from 'Microsoft' about virus is a Scam | Computer Repair Tips

They rely on a robodialer to call you (they do not have your phone number), and upon the fact that most home computers run Windows OS.

As long as you didn't go to their website and download the "assistance" software so they can "diagnose" the "problem," you'll be OK. Even if you did, the malware scans you ran should find and remove it.

BTW, where I live the cops would laugh their asses off if I reported this and expected them to do anything, whatsover, about it.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.

I had one of these guys call me yesterday. I told him it was a scam, he said, no, no, not a scam. I asked for the number of his company so I could call back to verify (he gave me a number), and the name of the company which resulted in some incomprehensible gibberish. I called the number he gave me - it was an unregistered voicemail site. That's some high-quality scamming for ya.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread