+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1692Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Aww Nennie, I'm so sorry.

Thank You Baby's Breath.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Pikachu, I'm sorry your job interview didn't go well but please don't give up hope. I hope the new year will be better for you.

Nennie, the first Christmas without your mom is tough but hold on to the good memories. I'm also sorry for all that your brother-in-law is going through. I also have a sister and her husband has Parkinson's disease. All I can do is offer moral support but my words often feel inadequate when there are tears on the other side of the phone.

Pikachu and Nennie,
    Cootie likes this.

Nennie, I am thinking of you. Might I suggest that you do something in honor of your mom to celebrate her life and to celebrate yours? Make her favorite food, do something that your mom used to do (take over some role she used to hold?). It is very hard, but worth it to remember those good qualities of your mom. And to celebrate them.

Pikachu, I know what you mean about losing hope. My lifetime of work has been devalued in our current society - at least by those who allocate money for such institutions like libraries...Don't give up hope. And do what you love!

Cootie we are going to spend Christmas reminiscing about some of the funny things she and my dad used to do. I have a niece(grandchild of theirs) who hasn't heard about a lot of the things they did and she is excited to get to hear these stories. I made an orange slice cake that my mom always made on Christmas that was my deceased brothers favorite. When my mom was healthy she always bought us girls prize presents and I got my daughter one this year.
    Cootie likes this.

Pikachu, See only the good things. You have a path ahead of you that has both good and bad. Materials things do not make you happy. They might be near the top of the list of things that can make you unhappy. I know it is hard to believe. It is one hundred percent true.

I had a time in my past where I did not make much money. 30 was a really emotional year. Cried a lot. I did everything I was suppose to do and was not well off. But it was my path. At 46 today, I can say that I have had a very good path. And I can see a reason for the experiences I have had in my life. And I am fine...maybe I am even younger today.

If you are not going to church, mommy lizard wants you to start going on Sundays. I think that might help.

Hugs Nennie.
    You can do it!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu
    I'm having a crappy day. I had a job interview this afternoon and it didn't go well. I've been looking for a new job for over 5 years and can't seem to catch a break. I just realized today that I'm probably going to be stuck at my current job for the rest of my life.

I originally planned to get a higher-paying job so I could afford to have repairs made to my car and condominium but since that's not going to happen, I guess I'll have to scale back my standard of living, which is hard to do because it's not all that extravagent anyway. I've been trying to keep cable and internet at home since I can't afford vacations or going to the movies too often but I might have to lose one of them at some point. I think when my current car stops running, I might have to consider taking the bus so I won't have the cost of maintaining a car.

Sometimes I just feel like my life really sucks and I see no way out. I'm not asking to be rich. I just want to have a comfortable living so I can get some little bit of joy while I'm here on this Earth. Is that really too much to ask?????
    Pikachu, don't give up on that higher paying job. My mom who is 59, graduated from college in May of this year. She finally got a job in October. The job isn't in her chosen field, she had to go back to the same field she was in before. While the wage is lower, she does have full benefits plus profit sharing. This city has existed so long on one sole sector for many decades now~~paper mills. It is looking pretty bleak for many of those well paid mill workers, who have worked in one place since before they graduated high school or just after.

I guess the point of my post is to let you know that you might have a better chance of a better job if you go back to school now, while you are younger. Even if it takes you 3 or 4 years to complete a degree you will still have an advantage over many of the people I know who thought they'd be retired at 55, but are in re-training.

Nennie, oh how do I understand about your mom. I still have mine, but it's my grandma that I miss the most. Christmas has not been the same since she has been gone. It's been almost almost 10 years. Love how you have planned to include mom in your celebrations, as painful as it may be. I believe that your entire family will benefit and that your mom will feel her family's love.

Hugs to all who are having trouble and strife. This holiday season is pretty hard for some people to deal with, hopefully we can reach out to those around us who need it, and in our time of need that those who love us will be there for us too.
    Lizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Pikachu, don't give up on that higher paying job. My mom who is 59, graduated from college in May of this year. She finally got a job in October. The job isn't in her chosen field, she had to go back to the same field she was in before. While the wage is lower, she does have full benefits plus profit sharing. This city has existed so long on one sole sector for many decades now~~paper mills. It is looking pretty bleak for many of those well paid mill workers, who have worked in one place since before they graduated high school or just after.

I guess the point of my post is to let you know that you might have a better chance of a better job if you go back to school now, while you are younger. Even if it takes you 3 or 4 years to complete a degree you will still have an advantage over many of the people I know who thought they'd be retired at 55, but are in re-training.

Nennie, oh how do I understand about your mom. I still have mine, but it's my grandma that I miss the most. Christmas has not been the same since she has been gone. It's been almost almost 10 years. Love how you have planned to include mom in your celebrations, as painful as it may be. I believe that your entire family will benefit and that your mom will feel her family's love.

Hugs to all who are having trouble and strife. This holiday season is pretty hard for some people to deal with, hopefully we can reach out to those around us who need it, and in our time of need that those who love us will be there for us too.
    I have to say I felt the loss of mom alot yesterday but we got to tell one of my nieces some really funny stories and we had a good time reminiscing about old times. I made her famous cranberry salad and an orange slice cake she always made so we had something of her with us.
    Cootie and Poppy Fields like this.

Sending warm thoughts to all...

Another thing we did is to record/tape our thoughts. The thoughts and memories won't be lost now.
    Jamie5632 likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

You are not alone, pikachu.

I want to tell you that things are going to be better, that everything will be OK. Truth is, I don't believe the first but I do believe the second. Eventually, it will all be OK again. I'm banking on it.

You are examinig your needs closely, and that's a very good thing. Does it cost more to drive or take the bus to work? Choose the cheapest. If it's taking the bus, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to let go of your car. Do you have a bundled package for internet and phone? If not, explore the offers for these services. Shop them. Consider using something like Magic Jack for your land line if you have one. Find the best package for your needs and resolve to start exploring the options before that contract is up next time. You can negotiate with your carrier for a better rate, or you can switch.

Sometimes I just feel like my life really sucks and I see no way out. I'm not asking to be rich. I just want to have a comfortable living so I can get some little bit of joy while I'm here on this Earth. Is that really too much to ask?????
    No, pikachu. It's not asking too much. Define your joys, though. What matters most? Then explore the best way to pay for them. Personally, I get a lot of pleasure from TV. We have DirecTV at a cost of $120/mo. for everything, including all major premium channels (except Cinemax which is just repeats of HBO). It's my major entertainment expense. We don't have a landline, but use our cell phones exclusively. We go to the movies about twice a year. We cook our dinners at home except for rare occasions when we dine out. We clip grocery coupons.

I'm probably a lot older than you. We downsized 6 years ago. Katrina made us do so. But, we are happy in our current circumstances. We're at a point in our lives where we want to own less. If you are not there yet, trust me when I say that I sympathize with you. My kids are not there yet, either. But there are workarounds, still. You can still create a lifestyle that brings you comfort and satisfaction.

Feel free to PM me if you need ideas to circumvent whatever challenges you are having in maintaining the lifestyle you want.

It will be OK in time. I believe this. DH and I have lived through some pretty hair raising economic times in the past 40 years. Nothing like this, but still pretty damn scary. I'm betting on you.
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread