+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    I can't find a job I lost my job in March and found another job pretty quickly but it sucked royally so I had to quit. So now I'm temping, it's something but still not a full time job. I've had a few interviews but no offers. Sometimes I don't even get an interview which is disconcerting because I have 16 years of experience in my field. I really hope I find something soon because the temp job I'm on now I'm filling in for a girl on maternity leave and she'll be back in a couple weeks.
    Good luck, karna. I know it's tough out there with the job market so bad. With any luck, maybe the girl you're temping for won't come back and you'll be offered the job full-time. That's how I got my first full-time job. I was hired to fill in for a lady who was on maternity leave for a year. At the end of the time, she decided not to come back so I got to keep the job. I"ll cross my fingers for you that something comes up!

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    I can't find a job I lost my job in March and found another job pretty quickly but it sucked royally so I had to quit. So now I'm temping, it's something but still not a full time job. I've had a few interviews but no offers. Sometimes I don't even get an interview which is disconcerting because I have 16 years of experience in my field. I really hope I find something soon because the temp job I'm on now I'm filling in for a girl on maternity leave and she'll be back in a couple weeks.
    I know how that feels Out in CA, it's even worse. I've had temp agencies tell me that I'm welcome to come in and test, but that they don't have any jobs. Hang in there. Something will hit, you just have to have faith (I know - that's hard for me too!).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My sister, and dearest friend in the world has died of pancreatic cancer. We are planning a Celebration of Life party for friends and family and I am trying to come up with wording for the invitations. Maybe i'm just still numb, but I can't think of how to word this invitation. Everyone here seems so adept at putting their thoughts down in the various forums. Does anyone have any ideas for me or experience in this to give me a kick-start. I've been looking at a blank page since 6:30 this morning. I would so appreciate any help or direction. You could pm me or reply here.
    Thanks, Lynda,
    San Francisco

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Since you say it's a celebration of life party, I would start by telling friends and family to come prepared with pictures of your sister and stories about her they want to share. It's hard to get to a party and then be asked to speak and your mind is blank. You know there's plenty to say about the person but can't retrieve it on the spot. If you know it's coming, you can decide beforehand what you want to share with everyone.

I take it everyone invited already knows about her parting so you don't have to go into details about that in the invitation. Focus on what your sister was like while she was living, not how she died.

I haven't had a lot of experience with this kind of thing so hopefully someone else can give you more concrete advice. I was a mess when my mom died and hardly remember the dinner at the church after the service. I wouldn't have been up for a celebration of her life so soon after the fact. Everyone grieves differently, though, so I hope this celebration brings you peace and helps you say goodbye to your dearest friend.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm so sorry for your loss, Punkin. I would be an absolute mess if my sister died as she is my only sibling and my dearest friend in the world. I'm not very good with with coming up with wording for invitations but why not just take a direct approach and say something to the effect of: We regret the passing of our beloved _______, ______. Please join us for a celebration of her life on..............

Again, my heartfelt condolences.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Punkin, I am so saddened and sorry to read of the loss of your beloved sister. My condolences to you and your family.

I am so sorry, Punkin.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

My heart and thoughts are with you Punkin. I think you've gotten some good advice here. I like, "Please join us to celebrate the life of (your sister). We will be sharing memories and photographs if you have any to contribute." - or something to that effect.
    When my grandmother died, it was the only time all the grandchildren were together in our adult lives. At my mom's house after the funeral we sat around and shared memories of her. It was such a joyous celebration. I've always remembered that.
    Count your blessings!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Punkin I am so sorry for your loss.

FORT Fogey

Punkin I am so sorry to know you have lost your sister. You have come to the right place for ideas; the posts above are full of good ways to approach this invitation. FORT friends always hold us up when we need to be held.

+ Reply to Thread