+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree966Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I'm so sorry. Nobody should have to go through what your family is going through.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I will be seeing a counselor because this is all really tough. We have already seen that he doesn't seem to have a "rock bottom", but that he is willing to die unless we bail him out. His partner recently died and he almost died, but it didn't scare him straight. He has adult diapers because the meth gives him uncontrollable diarrhea, and he still considers the drug worth it. He lost his teeth over it. He has sores on his body. He is as thin as a concentration camp victim. He has severe breathing problems from smoking it and can barely walk across the room. None of this bothers him enough to give up the drug. During his crashes, he talks about killing himself. It all sucks so much.
    Anyway, I was lucky enough to get an appointment with a counselor for tomorrow because my friend works for one. I am hoping to get some coping skills and advice for me and my dad - who is the one that supplies the money. I have even recently told my dad not to give him cash and to only give him food or things he needs, but my dad gave him cash again today. Very frustrating!
    But, at the same time of all of this, my brother loves me so much and is my little brother that I have always looked out for. I find it hard to just let go of him completely.
    Thanks for letting me vent here!
    Maude - my heart goes out to you and your entire family. It sounds like you brother is very sick and in a lot of pain. It also sounds like, based on the physical ailments you are describing, that maybe the drugs actually give him some relief from all the pain, which may be why he is not willing to let it go. Yours is truly a difficult and unique situation and I hope the counseler is able to help you as you work through this time.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Well, the appointment went fine, but not much accomplished. Way too much backstory and giving him the foundation to get any advice yet. The counselor seems really nice and I will see him again next week. I guess this will take a bit longer than I had expected. Thanks for all of the support.
    I'm worried about the emotion that this will be stirring up. My friend recommended a book about a meth addict, written by his father, called "A Beautiful Boy" and the title almost made me cry! My little brother was such a cute little boy! Stupid drugs!

Maude

Well, the appointment went fine, but not much accomplished. Way too much backstory and giving him the foundation to get any advice yet. The counselor seems really nice and I will see him again next week. I guess this will take a bit longer than I had expected. Thanks for all of the support.
    I'm worried about the emotion that this will be stirring up. My friend recommended a book about a meth addict, written by his father, called "A Beautiful Boy" and the title almost made me cry! My little brother was such a cute little boy! Stupid drugs!
    My mom read this book and just raved about it. The son in the book also wrote his own book which might give a perspective from the other side of addiction.

I think you are heading down the right path by taking care of yourself and your sober family members. You can't make your brother get the help he needs, but you can get help dealing with the situation. I wish you the very best.

maude~flanders: my heart breaks for you and for your brother, praying for your strength to help your brother and get through this yourself. My addiction was oxycodone and its cousins, and it will always be with me - but from what I've read and heard, nothing is as addicting as meth! So many lives have been wrecked by this horrible drug, it's just heartbreaking. I feel there's a special place in hell for those who manufacture this poison.
    "Welcome, Meth Dealers!"
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    My mom read this book and just raved about it. The son in the book also wrote his own book which might give a perspective from the other side of addiction.

I think you are heading down the right path by taking care of yourself and your sober family members. You can't make your brother get the help he needs, but you can get help dealing with the situation. I wish you the very best.
    Really? Does he come out of it? I don't think I can handle reading it if he dies in his addiction. Although I feel like that will be our ending. I would like some hope.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and kind words! I am amazed at how people you've never met will reach out with love and kindness to others on-line.

FORT Fogey

....Thanks again for all of the encouragement and kind words! I am amazed at how people you've never met will reach out with love and kindness to others on-line.
    This is the essence of the sisterhood/brotherhood of FORT. I've seen endless examples of FORT members reaching out to other members in times of illness, tragedy, and death, not only on the board but in PMs, phone calls, etc. I was greatly encouraged by FORT friends after an accident I had last October. We seem to be a very special "breed." Long may we wave!!!

Prayers for your entire family as you walk this difficult path.

Really? Does he come out of it? I don't think I can handle reading it if he dies in his addiction. Although I feel like that will be our ending. I would like some hope.
    I also wish you all the best as you navigate this difficult time Maude!

I actually heard an interview on the NPR show Fresh Air with this father and son talking about the books they wrote, so I know for sure that the son survived his addiction. If you are interested you can listen here: Memoirs of Meth Addiction from a Father and a Son : NPR

The books are:
    Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Meth Addiction by David Sheff's
    Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-20-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: adding book info

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

..sending healing thoughts and prayers...

+ Reply to Thread