+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

You might make a list of all the chores that need to be done around the house, large and small, and then ask him which ones he would like to be responsible for.
    Count your blessings!

My son lives in our basement. He has his own living area and bedroom and he uses our kitchen, bathroom and laundry. He pays rent and buys his own laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. Things have worked out well for us. In fact, since I've been laid off and started back to school, the money he pays in rent has been a life saver for us. I do have to remind him to let me know when he isn't coming home after work. I know he's an adult, but that doesn't stop me from worrying.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A contract is an excellent idea....with a posted copy, signed by everybody. It's the Real World. Remember, you are teaching him for the future, and that is a very loving thing to do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    My son lives in our basement. He has his own living area and bedroom and he uses our kitchen, bathroom and laundry. He pays rent and buys his own laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. Things have worked out well for us. In fact, since I've been laid off and started back to school, the money he pays in rent has been a life saver for us. I do have to remind him to let me know when he isn't coming home after work. I know he's an adult, but that doesn't stop me from worrying.
    I bet he does appreciate that also
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    I try to stay positive....I guess emphasis on the "try". It doesn't do any good to keep on with the "what if"'s. I guess I was wondering about if I should have him sign a contract with us. Maybe that'll help him grow up. He's been a wandering soul
    We actually did this when my daughter was 13 and the pod people replaced her with the sullen clone.
    If he is paying rent, then a "lease" might be a good idea. Lay out the rules and the consequences for breaking them up front.

Whoever mentioned Hospice above, if I win the lottery, they will receive my first donation. They were so good to my mom and us and were available to us for free 1 year after mom died. They helped me a lot with grief, coping and "letting go". They also did a terrific job for a friend and the care and compassion and attention they lavished on his children was amazing. Great organization filled with wonderful people.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The one thing that annoyed me is, son opens the fridge, then states, "why don't we have any whatever" , well I learned to respond by, I don't need that, there are plenty of stores to go and buy it yourself. In a very nice tone of course.

Sometimes they think you need to go grocery shopping soley for their own requests. By the time you buy everything they like, there's no room in the budget to purchase real food.

I would make sure the food section is made clear, do you intend to provide all food? or just meals/lunches etc, and anything extra that he wants, chips junk food whatever, will he purchase his own?

I like that you have goals set for him, set up some type of savings program, reducing debt, paying rent, IMO it is so important to review those goals on a regular basis. Show him statements of the debts owning, payments being made, show him his accumulated savings account, stress the importance of good credit for future, these are all real life situtations that unfortunately sometimes as parents we don't discuss. This might help him want to start changing his life around.

It sounds like all he needs is that one little break, be it a job that he enjoys, which will encourage him to go to work everyday, start earning an income and feel like he is moving forward. This will encourage him to set his own goals, for the future, maybe find a nice little apartment. While working he might purchase little items that he will save for "when he moves to his own apartment".

Good luck to you and your son!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    The one thing that annoyed me is, son opens the fridge, then states, "why don't we have any whatever"

I do that myself- I open it up and state that very same thing. I look at Joey and say who is going to the store, you or me? Usually then he head butts my leg and I have to brush him so I guess I didn't need it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I open the fridge and stare into it and shut it and then go back later and do the same thing. Like somehow elves came in between and changed all the food in there to stuff I actually want to eat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I open the fridge and stare into it and shut it and then go back later and do the same thing. Like somehow elves came in between and changed all the food in there to stuff I actually want to eat.
    They never do, but I wish they would!!

I hate having food in the cupboard we're not eating. I'd like to plan them all out ahead of time, but it's never what I want when I want it. We've taken to MrCoz stopping on his way home to pick up a specific thing we want to eat that day. Probably not our best use of time, but it is directly on the way so it's not a separate trip anyhow, and then it's what I want on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I do that too. Usually, with each return to the fridge, my standards have lowered!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread