+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1558Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4190572;
    Not only a teenager, but he graduated from high school in June, right? So he's in his late teens, and probably feels even older at the Children's Hospital? He may already have something like this, but are there any teen groups that he could join? A support group for teens and maybe even twentysomethings who have cancer?
    I forgot about that. So if he's 18 -- or close to 18 -- then he's already an adult. (When I turned 18, I was legally an adult in Wisconsin, where I lived at the time.) Children's Hospital has to be a real pain in the butt, then. Yeah, whatever can be done to get him into a more adult situation, with young adults, etc., will certainly help with him with taking control of his own treatment and recovery. A young adult support group for him, and a parents' support group sure couldn't hurt.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4190572;
    Not only a teenager, but he graduated from high school in June, right? So he's in his late teens, and probably feels even older at the Children's Hospital? He may already have something like this, but are there any teen groups that he could join? A support group for teens and maybe even twentysomethings who have cancer? The shared experience might be helpful for him, and it might be better for him to be on the younger end of the group rather than the older (especially if his friends are also starting college and having that new adventure).
    (
    I think this is an excellent idea. Victor is at an age where peers have alot of influence over one another. Maybe if Victor finds a friend in a support group of peers who IS following Dr. protocol he will be more likely to take it more seriously. It would be worth looking into. I spend 1-2 times a week in my local hospital chemo room and over the last 6 months I have seen (very sadly) several teenage and young 20's males receiving treatment. Knowing you are not alone and have someone to talk with going through the same thing may make a huge difference?
    Blessings and good healing vibes for Victor and your family.

I hate to even post here with the troubles some of you are having, but I'm depressed and just need to vent. It's school budget time again and cuts need to be made. Our new principal recommended cutting my (world languages) class and a gym teacher. I'm not out of a job... I can bump newer teachers, but I really love the class I teach. The new principal deliberately misrepresented my class when he made the recommendations to the school committee, saying my curriculum was not language based, just cultural. Professional libel, as my curriculum maps are on record and have been for over five years. The union rep wants me to file a grievance, but I don't know if making waves is the best way to go about things. I also really, really, really don't want to have to learn a whole different subject matter to teach. Wah. I know, pretty small potatoes compared to what a lot of you are going through, but I'm just reeling from this. It feels prersonal.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Every body has problems. Don't feel guilty. There is no rating scale that a problem must fall on to be considered "worthy".
    And I find talking and supporting others problems big and small helps me forget about mine. So don't feel guilty. Someone is always going to have a worse problem than yours, doesn't mean that makes yours invalid.

Can you let the committee know the class was misrepresented?
    Can you talk to the principal and give arguments as to why this class is so important? Are their numbers that show this is a popular class with the students. Filing a grievance seems extreme if done before exhausting other avenues.
    Whatever happened to the concept of a well rounded education?
    Kids do need more than the 3r's.
    Anychance parents of past and future students can get involved?
    If facebook and twitter can topple a government in Egypt, then why not save a class in Mass.?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic

I just pray for all of you that are experiencing troubles. You can't compare them, as they are yours. We may not know the answers, but we know who does!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Thanks MRD and chitex3. I have so many blessings to count, I do feel badly for bringing this here. I can usually look on the bright side after a good sleep on a problem, but I seem to be wallowing a little this time. I sent a documented e-mail to the principal with cc's to the super and union stating the misrepresentation, etc. Maybe that's all it will take. The worse possible outcome is that I'll be teaching art next year and I was an art major in college, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I'd feel really bad putting the new art teacher out of work. She's really good at what she does and I'm her mentor, so we have a close relationship.
    Count your blessings!

Gut: you did the right thing by sending the email. It shows you are dedicated to what you do. Sometimes, the cut backs that everyone needs to make, never makes any sense. This sounds like its one of those times. I hope it all works out for you, keep us posted.

Bug. Lots of good advice. He knows you love him but he's still a teen trying to gain independence. It's just 1000x harder when you have so many critical health issues going on.

Gut: Ugh. That's a horrible position to be in. I hope the e-mail helps clarify things.

Bug - have you taken him to the grocery store to let him pick out food he wants? When I went through chemo I learned that some things you usually like just turn you off for no reason. Letting him pick out foods he thinks he could eat might give him some power back.
    Count your blessings!

He's doing a little better with eating and drinking. He went to the movies the other night with a friend and because he wanted to do that, I requested he get nearly all of his liquids in before leaving. He did. Today he wants to go to lunch with his ex girlfriend so he has already had 1/4 of the liquids along with a bagel and cream cheese. I think his fainting spell scared him enough to take the time to drink and eat. I've backed off a bit but if I notice he isn't getting close to his daily intake, I'll push a little. He gives attitude but I've explained to him I don't have to pay for his fun time so he better snap out of talking to me like he does quickly.

He was set to get a tattoo last week. He got into my face over drinking his juice and I canceled the appointment. He knows I'm not playing.

Even when he wasn't ill, my son had the attitude that everyone was put on the planet to do what he wanted and that their opinions didn't matter. He lost a girlfriend and a couple of friends because of this. I've noticed it more because I am home with him all day. I have tried to talk to him about the way he treats other people but I'm afraid this is going to be something he will have to figure out through heartbreak and loss of friendships. I love the kid but I would not want to have him in any group of friends......drama drama!!
    Last edited by buglover; 02-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread