+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Tivo, or not to Tivo. That is the question.

To Tivo, or not to Tivo. That is the question.

I am really thinking about TiVo lately. I know there are several manufacturers of these machines. Does anyone have any input, positive or negative, that would help me decide about whether it would be a good investment? I am already paying AT&T about $85 a month for my digital package. Would I have to pay an additional monthly charge? Will it record programs from my premium package? My VCRs won't record any channel above 99. (Well, my Go-Video is supposed to, but I can't figure out how.) I get up early and depend on taping my shows that come on after 9:00p so I need to be able to tape Sopranos and Six Feet Under and these channels are in the 500 range.

Any input will be appreciated!

I got rid of digital cable and bought TiVo instead. I cannot live without my TiVo now.

Yes, you do may monthly, and it is about $13 a month.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fanatic
    I have and love my ReplayTV. It is similar to TiVo, but you don't pay for a monthly fee, that is if you get an older model (on eBay). If you get one of the newer models, you can "tape-trade" over the internet. Check out my post below about some ReplayTV screen captures.

And yes, if you hook it up like the instructions say, you can recieve all channels that your digital cable/satellite receiver gets.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...4305#post64305
    ScreencapCentral.com
    --Brian S.

Love my Tivo! Love it love it love it.

I got in before they eliminated the lifetime registration, so I don't have a monthly fee, but I would pay monthly to keep it if I had to.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Tivo changed my life. I can not (and do not) watch TV without it. Like Zhora, I got in on the lifetime, but from messages I received (at least with the DirecTV with Tivo option) they are lowering the monthly rate to $4.95.

If you're serious, I recommend that you check out www.tivocommunity.com. The amount of information on that web site will blow you away. You'll also see that I am nowhere near the Tivo fanatic that some people are.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

TiVo's great, and I want to get one. Here's the scoop:

If you have just cable (anything non-DirecTV), you pay $12.95 per month, or have a lifetime subscription offer for $249 (one time, no monthly fees), in addition to the $300 or so you'll pay for the box. Make sure if you're buying one now you get the Series2. You can record one program while watching another, or while watching regular TV.

If you have DirecTV satellite, you have to have a different TiVo/Receiver combination. You will pay $4.95 per month, and there is no lifetime subscription option. You can record TWO programs while watching another, or while watching regular satellite TV.

Hope that helps!

We love our Tivo! I love love love the convenience of it!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the input. I'll spend some time this wekend at that link BF posted. I think this will be the next new toy for me. All of you sound so enthusiastic about it!

Lynda oink!

I'm determined to use each smilie at least once. Hey, I've been looking for a New Year's resolution! That's it!!!

Hey BF, does that lifetime fee transfer to other Tivo boxes, or is it only for the one you register?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    The lifetime fee is not the lifetime of the person, but rather the box. But if something happens to the box and you need to replace it, you just have to call and get some sort of authorization. As long as you buy the same make/model, they will transfer the sub.

I think they are becoming a little less stringent on that rule because of some lawsuits, but I haven't had any problems. I had to return the original DirecTV with Tivo recorder because it broke after 3 months, and had to make TONS of phone calls, but everyone was really nice and it worked out (just too a little due diligence on my part).

Also, DirecTV has now assumed all customer service and tech support of the DirecTV units that have Tivo (in the past you had to contact each separately) so I think that will make things much smoother.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast