+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with cooking!

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar

help with cooking!

Help! I need some advice on freezing meat....and why not ask you guys huh?

Ok...we usually buy fresh meat at the store, and the expiration date is about two days after.

Question: If I freeze the meat in the freezer, will it still be good, say if I end up cooking it 1 or 2 weeks later?

My roomate and friends say it is fine, but my dad says that it is not...Can someone help me....I would greatly appreciate it...

The meat will be good for even longer than one to two weeks later. Freezing is a form of preserving it, and the expiration date is just for meat under refrigeration. I also put the original package into a freezer Zip-loc type bag to prevent freezer burn (drying out). I always try to buy meat on sale and freeze it. You can do an internet search and find that the shelf life is generally as follows:

Type of food Expected shelf life

Beef, lamb, veal 8 months
    Pork and chicken 6 months
    Ground meat 3 months
    Sausage meat 2 months
    Fatty fish 3 months
    Lean fish 4 months
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Yea I think it is fine.
    Favourite shows: The Amish in the city
    Survivor
    Fear Factor
    The Amazing Race
    & more.

Just make sure that you cook and eat it within 2 days of thawing it (in a sink full of cold water, or in your refrigerator), and you'll be perfectly fine.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    thanks everyone..I was having some doubts about this..

I froze some steaks the other day and when I thawed them they smelled weird so i threw them out...that is when I started asking everyone..

Sorry, but it just struck me as funny that you're asking for cooking advice with your screen-name, Burntcrow.

One of the biggest mistakes that most people make with food handling is leaving food out too long. Foods must be held either below 45 or above 145 degrees. Food should be held no longer than 4 hours maximum in what is called the danger zone - 45 to 145. Bacteria begins to multiply when food is held at this temperature. This 4 hour window includes the cooldown time for it to reach 45 after cooking before storage in the fridge and the time it takes to reach 145 while cooking. The second biggest problem is cross contamination. Clean and sanatize all surfaces, utensels, etc and wash your hands after handling raw foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    One of the biggest mistakes that most people make with food handling is leaving food out too long. Foods must be held either below 45 or above 145 degrees. Food should be held no longer than 4 hours maximum in what is called the danger zone - 45 to 145. Bacteria begins to multiply when food is held at this temperature. This 4 hour window includes the cooldown time for it to reach 45 after cooking before storage in the fridge and the time it takes to reach 145 while cooking. The second biggest problem is cross contamination. Clean and sanatize all surfaces, utensels, etc and wash your hands after handling raw foods.
    Very good advice, Unk. Let me just add that raw chicken in particular should be treated as if it were toxic waste. Wash your hands and cutting boards, etc. with antibacterial soap, and don't use wooden cutting boards, plastic ones clean better. :nono
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Burntcrow - I have this guide clipped to the side of my fridge. Thought you might find it useful

Here is the link:
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/~fsg/f01chart.html
    Last edited by ADKLove; 09-07-2004 at 04:14 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Thanks for that link ADK
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast