+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with cooking!

I saw some new freezer bags advertised that are a double layer. They sound like they would be quite useful. I think I may get some to try. I usually bring the meat home and divide it in to meal sized portions. Then put it in zip bags and it doesn't take long to thaw.
    Clorox wipes are good to keep in the kitchen to wipe up as you cook. Just don't use the same one over and over.
    Here's a tip that I got from my daughter. When you plan to freeze ground meat, put it in a zip bag and roll it flat with a rolling pin or heavy glass. You can store many packages if you need to and it thaws quickly. Remember to leave a small area of the "zipper" open to release the air from the bag while you're rolling it. Then close completely.

I have one of those FoodSaver vacuum seal machines and I love it. I'm able to buy meat in bulk and freeze single portions since it's just me. It's also great for salads

Jay
    Unklescott, what would be the cost of a Food Saver machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Unklescott, what would be the cost of a Food Saver machine?
    I think I paid about $120 for mine a couple of years ago on QVC. You can get them from $80 on up. Here's a listing of various models from various retail outlets.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products_...-18004700.html

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Here's a tip that I got from my daughter. When you plan to freeze ground meat, put it in a zip bag and roll it flat with a rolling pin or heavy glass. You can store many packages if you need to and it thaws quickly. Remember to leave a small area of the "zipper" open to release the air from the bag while you're rolling it. Then close completely.
    Woah, Muduh, I have to try that. Thanks for the tip. I hate defrosting a block of ground turkey, chicken, beef, whatever. If I haven't remembered to put it in the fridge the day before, I find something else to make that night.

I'm naturally frugal. I share a membership with my sis-in-law at Costco, and we go together, buy huge quantities of chicken breasts and such, then divide them into freezeable portions.

Burntcrow, it's a shame about your steak but if your nose was telling you something had gone bad, you were right to "listen" to that gut feeling.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

We also break all of our chicken, chops and such into small dinner size portions. I usually have my husband wash it all, wrap it really good in plastic wrap, then put it into a freezer bag. Notice I let my husband do it . I can't stand raw meat and poultry. Yuck.

My philosophy is if it isn't being cooked that night, put it in the freezer. I have wasted so much money due to spoiling.

applesauce I do the same thing.

I always freeze it if I'm not going to eat it the same day......!
    And I always wash it first ! And I agree if it doesn't smell good trust your instincts and throw it out.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Very good advice, Unk. Let me just add that raw chicken in particular should be treated as if it were toxic waste. Wash your hands and cutting boards, etc. with antibacterial soap, and don't use wooden cutting boards, plastic ones clean better. :nono
    Sorry to disagree but a recent study just came out that showed that wooden boards stayed cleaner after washing than plastic one. I know this cause my wife shoved the article under my nose since I also thought plastic was better.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Sorry to disagree but a recent study just came out that showed that wooden boards stayed cleaner after washing than plastic one. I know this cause my wife shoved the article under my nose since I also thought plastic was better.
    Wow! Ok, I guess I stand corrected, but I have always read that bacteria can get into the woodgrain, and multiply ferociously. But if you had the article under your nose, who am I to argue?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Just dropping by to thank everyone for their advice...My roomate can't cook and its easy to screw up when you really have no experience with these kinds of things...ADK, that website was great...

so..I went to the store yesterday and bought some ground beef, chicken quarters, and pork chops, all of which are in the freezer right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12