+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Job Problem

Job Problem

Hi, I have a problem and hope i can consult you guys about it.

Recently, while waiting for my A level results to come out, I decided to get a temporary job, as the wait is about 6 months. Finding a job proved alot harder than I thought. I went to so many interviews and walk ins.

I responded to this ad at a recruitment agency for a shop assistant job and they told me to go to their office. It's this really posh office located at the heart of town, basically where I've always dreamed to work at. I was very surprised when the interviewer came in, talked to me, and told me that they actually have an opening right in the recruitment agency itself, and are willing to hire me! I had no prior experience, but was still recruited. The pay's decent and the job is good.

But my first day of work was a nightmare, as I got all the jobs done wrong and there was some miscommunication between me and my boss that resulted in me not doing a large chunk of the work not done. And at the end of the day, the boss told me, not unkindly, that I do not need to go back to the office tomorrow. That was probably the worst moment of my life and I cried on the way home.

I tried to come to terms with this 'rejection' and I accept that I probably single handedly screwed up the chance handed to me. However, I still cannot get over the fact that I am 'rejected' by the company. I keep playing the scene over and over again in my mind and when ever I think of that incident, I tear up very badly. I cannot seem to let go.

Is this normal?
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

seems to me that the employer was at fault... did they just hand you a bunch of stuff and set you off on your own? What kind of loser does that? I wouldn't worry, with these kind of "training" practices I'm sure the company won't be around long anyway.

And yes, feeling bad about the rejection (although I'm not fond of that word), seems normal to me. It's hard to get over the fact that you feel as though you screwed up, but in my book you really didn't.

You might feel better if you write him a letter explaining about the miscommunication and letting him know that he just lost someone who would have been a valuable asset. NOT a "can I have my job back letter" rather a "I'm so nice, I'm going to 'help' you out by telling you how badly you screwed up so maybe you wont do it again" type letter!

Oh, what are A levels?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Rain, You KNOW deep down that this is a normal reaction to a FREAK set of circumstances. It sounds to me like you did not have the proper training for the job at hand or the experience to back up the job. The failure is not on you...it is on THEM for not arming you with the tools to do the tasks they put before you. From what you conveyed above; you made it clear that you had no experience in that area and they hired you for that position anyway. Poor form from them on all accounts except one. Hiring YOU was NOT a mistake. I know that you will learn from this experience and ask about orientation and training available for any position, but especially for those that you have little or no experience in. This is a stepping stone in your career life and will make you a GREAT Boss in the future. Do not beat yourself up over this one. Sounds like they did a pretty good job of that and unjustly so. You make sure that you get paid for the hours you put in even if it takes confronting them over it. Noone works for free and definately not for free and a kick in the a** to boot. Now! You go out there refreshed and get the job of your dreams! I know you can do it!

Thank you for sharing this with us. It takes alot of guts to put yourself out there by telling us your story. Thank you also for believing in us. Hope this helps!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Cali, I sooooo like the letter idea. That would be informative for him and a closure tool for her. Excellent!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Cali, Feifer, thank you so much! I was having a very hard time coping with it, guess i'm not very strong mentally. But after reading what you guys have to say, I really felt better about myself. I did tell some of my friends, but I guess they could not help me much.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Cali, the A levels are some sort of huge exam we take to get into the university. It's based on the Cambridge education system, but I believe my country's education system is changing it to the SATS format.

feifer, I did get paid for it, and truth be told, it did feel quite bad to get paid and get booted!

Where do you live raindance?
    I took A levels too, many years ago.

I think your reaction is perfectly normal.
    Seems as though your boss really threw you in at the deep end.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Rain, Just remember that the screen between us does not keep us from being your friends too. Sometimes the people closest to you are involved in your feelings too and are unable to give good support. I know this has been a great disappointment. Do not beat yourself up over it. This is just a speed bump and now that it is behind you, you can look forward to bigger and better things. You are strong mentally!!! I think doubt and emotions get the better of us at times. You just had a bad day. Do not relive this over and over making the rest of your days miserable. Move on and only take the lessons you have learned along with you not the junk that nags at you. You can do it!!!!

Fluff, I'm living in Singapore, you took the A's too? The wait is horrible. I have few more months to go.

Feifer, thanks for your kind words, I do hope I can move on from here a stronger person (it's on my resolutions ) It is a huge dissappointment, especially since I've looked forward to it since the day they told me I could work there

Rain, first off, don't beat yourself up over this, it isn't worth it and it wasn't your fault. Remember when one door closes another one opens so this may have been a blessing in disguise. Second, the letter is a good idea but you may want to put in this letter that you enjoyed working with the company for the short time you did and that you appreciated the opportunity and to please keep you in mind if a position opens up in the future. This is not sucking up, this is giving you a wonderful reference and also accomplishes your "closure" issue. You are young and situations like this are going to happen in your lifetime. Chalk it up to a "career experience" learn from it and go out with your head high, not with a sword in your hand because that will only come back to bite you somewhere in the future. If you need help writing the letter, please p.m. me and I would be more than happy to help you with that. In the meantime, keep searching, your dream job is out there. It is just a matter of doing the legwork and not giving up! Good luck to you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast