+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Job Problem

Rain, by the way, I was a recruiter and career counselor for a few years and had my own business. I am more concerned about your getting a bad reputation by handling the situation poorly (and this reputation will follow you throughout your lifetime) than in you losing this job. Please remember to maintain your dignity when you write this letter. Everything that a person puts in black and white comes back to haunt them in the future and speaks volumes about a person as an employer and a human being. Like I said, if you need help, I am here for you.

Clarabella, I am not sure that saying she enjoyed it, when she clearly did not, is a good idea. She needs to remain true to herself. A more appropriate statement would be that she was looking forward to a long and rewarding work experience with the company that she would have been proud to represent. If there is a possition in the future that would be more suited to her abilities and training then she would be willing to consider a position there again(if she would after their deplorable treatment of her). I know I would not want to return to the scene of such bad circumstances.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Raindance,

I have some extensive experience with hiring, and sadly, I have had to fire people in the past.

This is a very clear example of how an employer set you up for failure. Not intentionally mind you, but probably they were swamped with work to be done, and rather than following the extensive evaluation process they undoubtedly advocate to their clients, they grabbed you when you walked in.

They needed to remember than when someone first starts, it is actually more work for everyone around you because they need to take the time to sit down and explain expectations and process to you. If they don't, then you will most likely fail.

I've seen this before, and frankly it isn't your fault.

However, that is small consolation for you I'd bet. Here is the lesson learned I would advise you take from it...

Anytime you are in a job where you are not 100% sure of your responsibilities and duties, take that step to pin down your boss on those things and make them understand that you need to know it.

Rather than looking bad, it actually is a very good sign when an employee does that in a professional manner.

Sadly, even though I would fault the boss for this event, you and I both know that it never is the boss who is held accountable, so that is why you have to be proactive.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bill, again!, the writer of good advice! Very well said!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Originally posted by Feifer
    Clarabella, I am not sure that saying she enjoyed it, when she clearly did not, is a good idea. She needs to remain true to herself. A more appropriate statement would be that she was looking forward to a long and rewarding work experience with the company that she would have been proud to represent. If there is a possition in the future that would be more suited to her abilities and training then she would be willing to consider a position there again(if she would after their deplorable treatment of her). I know I would not want to return to the scene of such bad circumstances.
    Your suggestions are even better, Feifer. Since I don't know the complete picture here, my main concern for her is that if she wrote a nasty letter full of anger and venom it will someday come back to bite her in the future and serve no other purpose but to shed a dark light on her character as well as give the boss yet another justification as to why he let her go. Your suggestions are far better than mine, as long as the outcome is that she leaves the situation with dignity and professionalism.

Sorry to get here so late Rain.

I'm sorry that this 'dream' job didn't work out. However, I object to any employer that doesn't have some sort of leeway. Mistakes are bound to happen, and necessarily so, in order for anyone to be a productive employee. So that's too bad that you weren't given more of a chance.

You did mention that it is your ideal job, so perhaps this can shape your goals a little more now. You can handle it and now have a better idea of what you might encounter.

I understand taking things personally. It's natural. Do your best to write it off as a bad day and know that you will be more prepared for the next 'first day'. Doesn't sound like it could go much worse.

Good luck!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I can echo Bill's statements, as a supervisor for years doing hiring and firing.

I'd much rather have a new employee who asksme how to do things and does them slowly but right, than one who assumes how to do things and does them quickly but wrong.

Since you had no experience in the position, I can understand your wanting to prove yourself. But just keep in mind in the future, there's no shame in asking your boss how to do things, or telling them that you haven't a clue how to do the thing they expect you to do.

Your boss set you up for failure by knowing you had no experience and dropping you alone full-speed into a critical position.

And don't worry too much about it. No one lasts on their first job - they either quit or get fired in a short amount of time. Almost all of the time. It builds character

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Rain, I think that Bill and John put it very well; you were set up for failure. I'm sure it hurts, but you should know that it wasnt your fault.

Hang in there. Consider this a learning experience. I know you'll have better luck next time.

Originally posted by raindance
    Fluff, I'm living in Singapore, you took the A's too? The wait is horrible. I have few more months to go.

I didn't mind the wait, but I know a lot of my friends went out of their minds, particularly if they needed certain grades to get into University.

I am a bit of a freak in that I really enjoy taking exams

I work at a staffing service and feel so bad for your getting let go. There is an amazing amount to learn where I work and when I bring in new people to train, I need to introduce each thing gradually. You can't expect someone to come in on their first day and start placing people on jobs. Don't let this one experience ruin the field for you if that is what you want. It doesn't sound like you got the training you needed to do the job. Choose another company in the same field and give it another shot!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast