Okay, I need help. I've seen "help with cat food, my cat can read my mind, what should I name these kittens, etc." but I need input of a different sort from the expert, veteran cat owners. What to expect????
I've never owned a cat, always dogs (and well now, various fish and one hamster). I haven't been "allowed" to have another pet but due to other circumstances, that restriction is about to be lifted
Anyways, I am strongly considering a cat. Needs to be kid friendly (my kids are 4 and 8) among other things I am nervous about so I thought I'd run it by some of you guys for info:
1) How hard is it to train them "not" to scratch on furniture and bedding and is it really horrible to declaw them?
2) How hard is it to really give them a bath? brushing?
3) Do they easily go to the litter box?
4) Do they really find delight in houseplants?
5) how much do they really punce around and jump on shelves and stuff?
6) If they try and play too rough, is there a good way to train them not to bite or claw?
Any other info (pros/cons/tips) would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to adopt a homeless kitty from the shelter (I've looked at so many and I want to take them all home ) and I'm thinking "kitten" so they could adapt to our lifestyle better.
Thanks in advance!