+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Am I qualified to own a cat?

how is Frosty doing? it's been so long since we've heard anything.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Hey! Thanks for thinking about him! I absolutely am in so much love with him and the kids love playing with him too. He is great! After a bout with a respiratory infection (supposedly its common in shelter/rescued animals ), he is doing fine and is a playful, spirited little kitty.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I hadn't been in here in a while, so congrats Ineeda! I am so glad you took the plunge! Frosty is a beautiful boy. May you have many happy years together!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Your cat is so cute, ineeda! Congratulations!

I have three cats of my own, and all my advice can be found somewhere in this thread already. I do advise people to consider adopting a 1 or 2 year old cat instead of a kitten, since so many of those cats don't get adopted because they don't have the kitten "look". All of my cats were at least a year old when I got them, and they have been just as much fun as any kitten would be. I love them dearly.

Also. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    She is an unrepentent hussy, Unk. I never thought she'd turn out to be a user when I first fed her. She HAS to be caught and fixed before she drags another litter in on us.
    I'm not expert, but I believe you can rent/borrow a "have a heart" trap from you local animal control in order to get you "hussy" kitty. As you said, she really should be caught because there are already so many kitties in the world that don't have homes. Good luck, SG.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Hey! Thanks for thinking about him! I absolutely am in so much love with him and the kids love playing with him too. He is great! After a bout with a respiratory infection (supposedly its common in shelter/rescued animals ), he is doing fine and is a playful, spirited little kitty.
    I'm new here and just got finished reading all the posts in this thread. I want to congratulate you on your recent addition to your family. I'm the proud owner of two cats. The unconditional love is truly amazing. And talk about personality. After a bit of time, you'll be able to understand what each sounding MEOW stands for. Me and my female cat have quite the conversation. Most people don't believe we are able to have a conversation until they witness it for themselves. With each question I ask her, she answers in a different meow tone. Anyway.. enough about me and my cats.
    Congratulations again. Wishing you many years of unconditional love & happiness.

MEOW!!!!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Thanks Sweetdreams and to the FORT!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    1) How hard is it to train them "not" to scratch on furniture and bedding and is it really horrible to declaw them?
    2) How hard is it to really give them a bath? brushing?
    3) Do they easily go to the litter box?
    4) Do they really find delight in houseplants?
    5) how much do they really punce around and jump on shelves and stuff?
    6) If they try and play too rough, is there a good way to train them not to bite or claw?

Any other info (pros/cons/tips) would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to adopt a homeless kitty from the shelter (I've looked at so many and I want to take them all home ) and I'm thinking "kitten" so they could adapt to our lifestyle better.

Thanks in advance!
    I've had cats my whole life....so I think I'm qualified to answer some of these. I don't normally give my cats baths, they do that all on their own. However, when it's a kitten I do usually give it one to clean it up (but I've found my last two cats) and yes they hate it. My cats LOVE houseplants so I can't have them around. Although I'm told that plants that don't resemble grass, cats will stay away from. Whenever I bring plants or flowers home my cat looks at me like it's his birthday. Yes they do go in the cat liter easily and it is easy to train them in that area. Most will start using the cat liter the instant you show it to them. If you are getting a kitten they will play which will include plenty of pouncing and jumping. If you aren't going to get them de-clawed, you can buy these plastic claw tips that go right over there nails, that way your kids or you won't be scratched to death. I've been told that cats are easily trained but I don't have experience in it. I'm sure it takes plenty of patience. Make sure that when you pick one out you pick one that has an outgoing personality and is friendly. Have fun!

Congrats Ineeda. Frosty is adorable. I would recommend investing in an automatic litter pan. All you have to do is add clumping litter, empty the reservoir and clean the rake periodically. The cats jump in and potty. 10 mins later the motor turns on and rakes the clump into the reservoir. Clean up is easier and there is no kitty litter smell.

I have 2 cats. Olivia adopted me when I moved here. She was living under my house b/c her previous owner moved and abandoned all of her cats. She would sneak a peak at me everyday when I came home from work. I "tried" to ignore her. One day I was working in the garden and had to stop and rest. I was sitting on the steps and she immediately came running, purring and rubbing against my legs. I "visited" with her for about a month and decided to bring her to the vet. Her ears were infected so I "decided" to bring her in so that I could treat her ears. The dogs were rather amused. Several months later I was in New Orleans trying to finish cleaning out the house when the adorable kittens from across the streat came to visit. I'd always wanted a gray cat and figured if one was a little friendly I'd bring her home. Well, I caught Nola. She was on the friendly side. I put her in the house. When I returned the next day she was hanging on the inside of the curtain of the picture window. Where's the camera when you need it. I brought her back with me and just adore her.

Funny how Olivia took to the new kitten. Every time Nola would go near her she'd bop her on the head 3 times. Now they groom each other and curl up and sleep together. Nola seems to believe she's a dog. She acts just like my Maltese.

When I had Nola spayed I had both declawed. At that point I had not read about declawing. If they accidently scratched me I would break out in horrible hives. For Nola it was like nothing ever happened. It was harder on Olivia b/c she was older - not sure of her age. They both have seemed to have forgiven me.

Enjoy your new kitty and post pictures as he grows.

toothdoc
    Last edited by ToothDoc; 10-10-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Insane Squirrel free2b_a_skwerl's Avatar
    I'm not really sure what to say because I've only two cats before. One, was a mean, peranoid freak, but the other was like almost the polar opposite. She was a nice one. I mean, they basically range, it depends on the cats' personallity.
    Last edited by free2b_a_skwerl; 10-13-2004 at 04:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789