+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Am I qualified to own a cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett530
    I would get another litter box. Where do you have the current litterbox? If they are going in sheltered corners, maybe they just need more privacy. Seriously. A lot of cats prefer a quiet corner to a high traffic area, or some like those covered litter boxes.

If the kittens are choosing to use the same spots repeatedly to go to the bathroom, try putting a litter box there. Once they have gotten used to using the box in the spot they have chosen, if you move the box, they are more likely to use the box wherever you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I think I saw this Fluff-is it a coiled up cardboard mat?
    There was a coiled one and one that was just tightly packed straight strips.
    We got the straight one because they only had refills for the coiled one at the time and not outer plastic case that the refill fits into.
    I'll get a coiled one when the one we have wears out though.
    It's been really good, better than any of the carpet covered ones we've had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    As far as keeping the cats off furniture and scratching, I wrap aluminum foil around the edges. For some reason, cats don't like the feel of their paws against it. I'm also against declawing.

I use the aluminum foil around our back door so kitty doesn't scratch it up when he smells me cooking dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I think the kids and I have decided on a beautiful white kitten about 3 months old and his name is going to be Frosty (the snowman ). He has to be neutered so he's not going to get to come home for a few days.
    Good luck, ineeda!! One word of caution about having a white cat - no matter how much you brush him or vacuum, you're always going to find white cat hair everywhere! I had a mostly white cat (for 17 years) and I kept the lint roller refill company in business!!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Oh, here's a tip - get two kittens. They end up scratching each other more than attacking you, and it's pure entertainment to watch them play.
    I couldn't agree more. PLUS they keep each other company when you're not home.

I've NEVER given my boys baths, but I do brush them every day which they LOVE.

Litterbox training is really easy. The only time they've ever had *accidents* is when Mommy didn't clean out their litterbox in a timely manner. :nono

JUST SAY NO to declawing. Yuck. My boys have never scratched my furniture, curtains, etc. They have a couple of scratching posts to scratch their little hearts out. ALSO, I used to trim their claws once a month (this was when I could see). They didn't like this at first (three months old), but after a while they got very used to it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 08-31-2004 at 03:53 PM.

I have 2 cats now. Once my husband and I get a bigger house (We live in a one bedroom condo now), we will eventually get rid of the cats (maybe give them to friends) and get a dog. Frosty that's what my friend Cody named his new dog. Him, his daughter Emily, his girlfriend and twin baby girls got an all white terrier (Keran?) and Emily was the one who came up with the name Frosty.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Litterbox training is really easy. The only time they've ever had *accidents* is when Mommy didn't clean out their litterbox in a timely manner. :nono
    That was certainly my experience when I had cats. The second one died at the end of March. I got two litter mates when they were twelve weeks old. They had a blast together. The only problem for the first year or so was that they would wake up every few hours to play. Unfortunately, that usually involved one getting on each side of me while I was sleeping and leaping at each other over me. When I tried to put them out of the bedroom, I would hear thump, thump, thump as they tried to paw open the door along with meows every 10 seconds or so. The love was well worth the sense of sleep deprivation though. They were also remarkably adaptable. I lived in a loft apartment for about 5 years. It only took the cats about 2 days to figure out how to climb the ladder to the loft (imagine a cat weaving back and forth up the rungs). They loved to lie on the edge and survey what was going on down below. Good luck with your new kitty!

I think you need to ask the cat that question: not us.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Ineedalife, funny you mentioned about the softpaws. I saw an article about them a few weeks ago, and it looks like a really good idea, although I hope it's really easy to apply them; I could imagine that could be a little scry with some cats. Maybe if you started hadling its paws everyday when it's a baby the cat would be ok with it. I don't have a cat now, but I have to make a comment about declawing. It's not the procedure itself that bothers me, but someone gave me a cat that was declawed one time, and since he didn't have claws, he had a bad habit of biting really hard and not letting go, like a bulldog! whenever he felt you were invading his space. i couldn't get him to stop and had to get rid of him, festering cat bites are no fun. I always wondered if he had developed that problem after being declawed, or if he had always been mean and that's why he ended up declawed and given away.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I have 2 cats now. Once my husband and I get a bigger house (We live in a one bedroom condo now), we will eventually get rid of the cats (maybe give them to friends) and get a dog.
    Wow. I coudln't even imagine getting "rid" of my cats. They are so much a part of my life.

+ Reply to Thread