+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Am I qualified to own a cat?

No it doesn't matter if you bought them or not. Mommy cat should be teaching them where to go potty.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    AJane... not quite anywhere, They tend to do it in rather sheltered corners of the house.

Would it make a difference if these cats weren't bought? Our female cat got knocked up and the four are the resulting litter.
    That sounds more like pure rebelliousness. I agree with Erin, get another box. Some cats are very finicky and don't like dirty boxes, and you can't avoid a messy box with 5 cats. If they STILL won't use it, I would have a vet check them out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Our latest cat has a catnip impregnated scratching box from Walmart.It cost all of $5 and the moment I showed it to him he knew what to do.
    It's the only place in the house where he scratches and once he mangles it too much we'll just get him another.
    I think I saw this Fluff-is it a coiled up cardboard mat?
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Actually, it's six cats, another one from a previous litter...

The mom and the other cat know how to get out of the house, so it's only the four who share the one box. I think we will get another one soon.

Actually, it's six cats, another one from a previous litter...

The mom and the other cat know how to get out of the house, so it's only the four who share the one box. I think we will get another one soon.
    Leo, I thought at first you meant get another cat. I was thinking you should just FedEx one of your kitties to Ineeda...one of the litter-trained ones, that is.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    erin_dye... only one, it's something to look at, thanks.

AJane... not quite anywhere, They tend to do it in rather sheltered corners of the house.

Would it make a difference if these cats weren't bought? Our female cat got knocked up and the four are the resulting litter.
    I would get another litter box. Where do you have the current litterbox? If they are going in sheltered corners, maybe they just need more privacy. Seriously. A lot of cats prefer a quiet corner to a high traffic area, or some like those covered litter boxes.

Leo
    Premium Member
    A corner of a room. It's not a very large house, but I reckon we can find a second spot.

on vacation
    I have 3 cats, 12, 11 and 9 years old. I also used to be a dog person but just wasn't home enough for a dog. That's one of the good things about cats is that if the litter box is clean and there's food in their dish, you can go away over night or be gone all day and they're ok.

I admit I did have mine front declawed because they did start to shred a couch once. As has been said, you can train a cat with a spray bottle full of water if you need to.

The bath thing? I leave that up to the professionals. Some cats will let you give them a bath but go back to the front declawing part of my post if you have any questions.

Once they're trained to use a litter box, they're trained. All you have to do is put them into it periodically when training so they get used to where it is and the rest will happen without too much effort.

Mine did like the houseplants. As a bathroom and also one of mine ate a spider plant once because they really do like stuff that reminds them of grass and supposedly from what I've read, cats grave grasses.

Mine don't really play all that much anymore because they're older but they used to whenever I would play with them or give them their toys, especially if the toys had catnip in them.

I know most everyone has already answered all your questions for you but I have to say, some people have the impression that cats can be wild or aren't affectionate. Think of how wild a puppy can be, and I don't really think cats are more wild than that. Mine are very affectionate too and I think it depends on when you get them in life and how you treat them but they can be very loving and actually, I also think they are very calming too.

You should get one. Or two.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I think I saw this Fluff-is it a coiled up cardboard mat?
    I think I saw the cardboard mat thing at a friend's house, and her cat is basically in love with it. She sleeps on it, scratches it, just generally hangs out with it as much as possible. What a great cheap toy. I am going to try to find one for my cat, because she does enjoy scratching the furniture. I bought her a scratching post and she wouldn't even touch it or look at it. She doesn't do it in front of me, so I haven't had the opportunity to get her with the spray bottle. I just throw a big blanket over the sofa when I leave the house. I love her a million times more than the sofa however, and would never dream of removing her claws. I'll just eventually get another sofa, and try to pick one that is a little less tempting material.

Good luck with your cat Ineeda. They are such a pleasure to have around.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

As far as the sheltered corner thing is concerned, our very first cat definitely wanted privacy.
    My mum placed his tray in the middle of the room and we all stood around to see if he'd go and he ran out of the box and into the corner of the room.
    After that, we just placed the box in the corner and he always went in there in future.

+ Reply to Thread