+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Am I qualified to own a cat?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Re-state. We have four kittens, all one month old.

Ahh, that explains a lot. Which I don't have a clue about
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I love the name frosty (the snowman)...........best of luck!
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Re-state. We have four kittens, all one month old.
    umm we need someone with experience with kittens to please help Leo.....quickly..........
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    The can of doom . . . the bane of cats everywhere. Take an empty soda can, put about 5 pennies and a marble inside, and tape the top closed. If they're being really bad, shake it, and they will flee. This also works if . . . say . . . they are trying to climb your curtains or scratch the nice furniture. It works best if they don't see you toss it or shake it, because then it's not a punishment from you, it's like the omnipresent cat god is watching them.
    By the way, this had me
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Leo, how many litter boxes do you have? Some cats do not like to share a litter box and will only go in one that no other cats have used.

Do you have older cats that the kittens can see using the box? They will learn by example if they are not doing it right off the bat.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Having adopted both kittens and adult cats, I strongly recommend adopting an older cat for your first one. They'll be litter trained already (although that isn't hard--my sister had 4 feral adult cats litter trained in a day). Plus, you'll be helping out the stray cat community.

As for declawing, sometimes at the shelters the cats are already declawed, and you could get one of those. But otherwise it is pretty harsh. There's are great catalogs & web sites of vet supplies for regular folks and they carry these little covers that you can put on the cat's claws, kinda like fake finger nails. Anyway, this will only work if you have a very calm cat who will let you touch their front paws (which surprisingly is very few in my experience). Or you could go to the groomer. But the spray bottle usually works, unless your cat is weird and likes getting sprayed with water (yeah, that can happen too!).

My cat used the box immediately...she was a 3-week-old farm kitten when I got her. I brought her home, dropped her in the litter box, and never looked back. Leo, do your renegade kitties just go ANYWHERE? They may have urinary tract problems...that's often what's wrong when cats don't/won't use the box.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Leo
    Premium Member
    erin_dye... only one, it's something to look at, thanks.

AJane... not quite anywhere, They tend to do it in rather sheltered corners of the house.

Would it make a difference if these cats weren't bought? Our female cat got knocked up and the four are the resulting litter.

Our latest cat adopted us.
    He originally belonged to our neighbour and just used to come and visit us for a few hours a day, then one day just didn't bother to go home. so now he's mine.

Declawing, ugh, evil.
    I don't care how much I spend on furniture, nothing is so valuable to me that I would mutilate any animal in that fashion.
    I'm an interior designer, so furniture is probably more important to me than it should be, but still not so important that my Buddy will lose his claws.
    We've had a number of cats over the years and none have been furniture scratchers, just provide them with something else.
    Our latest cat has a catnip impregnated scratching box from Walmart.
    It cost all of $5 and the moment I showed it to him he knew what to do.
    It's the only place in the house where he scratches and once he mangles it too much we'll just get him another.

+ Reply to Thread