+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US Open (tennis)

US Open (tennis)

My 16-year-old son just won a trip to Manhattan to attend the US Open. He wants to take his tennis-buddy who is also 16. For those of you that live in NYC, what do you think about that? How easy will it be for the boys to get around? How safe will it be for them?

I'm not sure that the TV station he won them from will even let him go without an adult, and I'm not sure if the other boy's parents would go for it (I'm not sure I"m going to go for it either). The boys are very level-headed and I wouldn't worry at all about them going wild and doing anything stupid. On the other hand, NYC is a big place.

??????

Quote Originally Posted by MollyRose
    My 16-year-old son just won a trip to Manhattan to attend the US Open. He wants to take his tennis-buddy who is also 16. For those of you that live in NYC, what do you think about that? How easy will it be for the boys to get around? How safe will it be for them?
    Getting around the city wouldn't be much of an issue, since there are many subway and bus lines. There is a subway stop on the 7, one of the lines running through the northern part of Queens, which has a stop very close to the tennis center where the US Open is being held.

As for safety, I think your son and his friend will be fine, if they don't go out of the way to cause any trouble. I actually live in an area close to there and think it's ok if you keep to yourself on the streets.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Well, it's a moot point now. The station just called and told him that since he's under 18 they won't award him the prize. They claim that the contest rules stated you had to be 18, but it's not on the site now and we're positive it wasn't on there when he filled out the entry (because he looked for an age requirement). Unfortunately it's his word against theirs, so I think he's s.o.l.

Couldn’t you accept the prize for him? I know that some places have contests that state if a minor wins the prize will be awarded to their guardian. Of course that would mean you’d have to go with him.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Yes, I suggested that they put the prize in my name and they wouldn't.

Also about half an hour ago they added "contest rules" to the site (the ones that they said were there all along).

+ Reply to Thread