+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digital cameras and other gadgets

Digital cameras and other gadgets

I need some help from my fellow FORTers...

I have a Kodak Easyshare digital camera that I bought a few years ago. It is a nice camera, but the darn thing does not hold a charge for long, or sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I did drop it once , which I think contributed to the problem. I've bought new batteries, the same thing happens. Its very frustrating, because you go on vacation and whip out your camera to take a photo at the perfect opportunity and it won't work. Then you get back to the hotel , and suddenly it works again.

Anyway - I am going to NYC this weekend and am seriously thinking about buying a new camera, but will be devastated if I get a new one and have the same battery problems. Otherwise I'll take my camera and a disposable as a backup.

So my question to you guys is:

Do you have a digital camera? What brand? How many pixels? Are you satisified with it? How long can you go without charging it? Dou have any accessories for it that are especially helpful? Tell me your pros and cons, please!

Thanks in advance, guys!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Do you have a digital camera? What brand? How many pixels? Are you satisified with it? How long can you go without charging it? Dou have any accessories for it that are especially helpful? Tell me your pros and cons, please!
    OTS!

I have a Kodak easyshare LS443, with 4 mega pixels, and a 3x optical zoom. I have had it for about a year and a half, and have had no complaints about it what so ever. I have used it on two trips and it worked great. I havn't had a problem with battery life. At home, after using it, I just put it on its dock, and leave it there until the next time I need it. While away, I take it around for the day, and when I get back to the hotel room, I charge it overnight, and it has yet to lose the charge when I do that.

I love the dock it comes with because it becomes so easy to charge and hook up to the computer. You just press a button, and all your pictures get transfered with ease.

When I bought mine it was around $399, but now Kodak has a very sleek one for $299, which has 4 megapixels and a 2.8x optical zoom.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply AIwannabe.

I have the dock too, it is pretty handy. I'm glad you haven't had problems with yours - I guess I really messed my camera up when I dropped it. I must have knocked some connector loose or something. I guess alcohol and cameras aren't the best mix.

For anyone else who replies, I want to stay under $500, preferably under $400.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

OTS:

I have a Sony CyberShot 3.2 pixels. They now make a few upgraded versions ranging from $199.99 for a 4.1 pixel to $399.99 for a 5.1 pixel.

I love mine. Even for a 3.2 pixel, the picture is very clear and I have a few added features including movie-making w/ sound.

As far as battery life, I have the self shut off feature engaged which turns off my camera after 30 seconds of inactivity. I have gone 2-3 weeks of semi regular picture taking without having to recharge. I also don't recharge until absolutely necessary as to prolong battery life. If I'm away from the charger, I just throw an extra set of batteries in my bag and switch when needed.

Here's a link to the Sony Cyber Shots:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DigitalCameras
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I dont have a digital one. I want one though....Maybe for christmas.
    Favourite shows: The Amish in the city
    Survivor
    Fear Factor
    The Amazing Race
    & more.

Thanks speedy. So you can use regular batteries in it if your rechargeable ones go dead while you are out and about? If so, that is a definitely a plus.
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks speedy. So you can use regular batteries in it if your rechargeable ones go dead while you are out and about? If so, that is a definitely a plus.
    Unfortuneatly, no. I bought extra rechargeables and the day before I think I'll need to change out batteries, I throw them on the charger.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I have a Sony Cybershot 4.1 megapixel camera, and I love it. I got it for around $299, if I remember correctly. It is very good with maintaing battery life, especially with rechargeable batteries. With regular alkaline batteries, it lasts for around 20-30 shots. It's a great camera, and I totally recommend getting it.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Thanks for the reply AIwannabe.

. I guess alcohol and cameras aren't the best mix.

That's true of lots of things isn't it...but it sure is fun!
    Sice you already have the dock you might want to look at the newer Kodak models OTVS...I just got the DX6490 which is a little more than you wated to spend ($450, but that's with the dock), but I think that's mostly because it has a 10x optical zoom; the other Kodaks looked good to me and I think most of them do use a rechargeable battery. They also have some new technology, for instance the chip is supposed to record color more accurately. I get all the photography magazines and settled on the Kodak after reading the reviews for all the brands; it was highly rated for ease of use, features etc.
    I've got to mention, though, that at my job there are at least 5 people who purchased Hewlitt-Packard cameras last year, and I also got my Mom and Dad one for Christmas last year. The prices are quite a bit lower so you can afford more accessories and still stay in budget, and the cameras are quite nice too...all the guys at work are happy with theirs (of course my parents haven't 'had time' to learn theirs yet ) I think the HP may be a little less expensive because the brand is more associated with PC's, but these are quality products.
    I also think all the HPs use AA batteries, and if you get the lithium ones from the camera department they last a whole lot longer.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

OTS, I've got an Easy Share as well...the basic WalMart model that they had on special last Thanksgiving for $99. It's a cx4310 with 3.2 mega pixels (as I read straight off the front of the camera cause all I know is that I wanted a digital, and I got one that seems to do the trick for me). I've never had any problems with mine holding a charge going straight from the dock....except when I'm at concerts cause I keep it on most of the time waiting for that "special moment" to take a picture and it zaps the heck out of the battery...but that's why I have my 2 sets of rechargables with me so I can swap them out when the time comes. Even on the entire time though, I get a good solid hour before the battery gives out on me. When I do "normal use" with it, I can go days with the same charged up battery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast