+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Digital cameras and other gadgets

Re: Digital cameras and other gadgets

I have a question about printing digital photos. I took pictures on my Kodak -- it's a 6.1 megapixel, but I took a lot of the pictures on the 4.0 setting (for reasons I can't explain, but thought was based on advice from two more camera-savvy friends).

Anyway: I posted them on the Kodak gallery website. My mother's friend Rodger burned them from the website to a CD, and she took that to Sam's Club and printed them. And they look awful! They're all pixelated, and I don't know why, because they looked great on the computer. So that's my question -- does anyone know if all the putting them on the Internet/downloading them/printing them elsewhere could have been the reason? The digital camera is fairly new and I've never printed pictures taken on it, so I don't know the best method.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy, try taking your memory card to a wal-mart or whatever and reprint a couple of sample shots-- the 4 mp setting should have been plenty good enough even if you wanted to make large prints up to 12x16 inches. If your pictures are on the internal memory of the camera, I'm guessing a camera shop would still be willing to hook up your camera and print it out.
    If they looked good on the computer, then something else went wrong, and it's not in your camera or memory card, although you'd have a hard time finding out the exact problem. If it's the Alaska pictures, post some in Vacation Photos here, and let us be the judge!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Leo
    Premium Member

Chances are when Rodger downloaded them off Kodak's site they weren't in the original high-resolution quality anymore. The Kodak site isn't all that useful when it comes to saying what resolution they display pics at, but I did find this page:

Kodakgallery.com Help

Question
    Can I download my original high resolution image files?
    Answer

If you want to download high-resolution files of the images you have uploaded to the Kodak EasyShare Gallery, you have two choices:

1. Sign up for a Gallery Premier subscription. For as little as $24.99 per year, you can have a unique kodakgallery.com/your name Web address, secure storage, one-click publishing, and free high-resolution downloads of all your images. Subscribe to Gallery Premier.
    2. Purchase an Archive CD containing high-resolution copies of all the images you have uploaded to the Gallery. Purchase an Archive CD.
    Neither sounds like a terribly appealing option, however. I don't know if any of these photo-sharing sites will allow free downloads of the high-res images, since that goes against their business models (i.e., Buy Prints Here!). The easiest way may well be to put all the high-res images on a CD then send it to your mom's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2477379;
    Chances are when Rodger downloaded them off Kodak's site they weren't in the original high-resolution quality anymore.
    See, that's what I think it was. Knowing Rodger, I highly doubt he paid money to download them.

The Kodak site isn't all that useful when it comes to saying what resolution they display pics at, but I did find this page:

Kodakgallery.com Help

Neither sounds like a terribly appealing option, however. I don't know if any of these photo-sharing sites will allow free downloads of the high-res images, since that goes against their business models (i.e., Buy Prints Here!). The easiest way may well be to put all the high-res images on a CD then send it to your mom's friend.

That's exactly what I've done -- put them all on a CD, directly from my computer. I'm urging Mom to go try to reprint them from that. Thanks for the research, Leo!

And thanks, QueenB. They are indeed the Alaska pics, so I definitely need to post some.

Resurrecting this thread to ask for help again.

My mother says her DVD player will start playing a DVD, then show a blue screen, during which she can still hear the sound, then go back to normal, then back to blue, etc. It did it on more than one DVD, all from the library, although her workout DVD didn't do it, she says. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? She's five hours from me, so I can't go look at it.

If the opaque side of the DVD has scratches all the way through so you can see light through it, it's toast; otherwise she might try wahing the DVDs from the library with a little dish soap and warm water and dry them thouroughly before trying to play them--I haven't had the exact problem but usually have to wash rental DVDs before they will play without making my player shut off. it's worth a try anyway. I also blow the player out with a can of compressed air when it starts acting up; it seems to help sometimes and sometimes not.
    ????????
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks, Queen, I'll tell her to try all that. I also think (after talking to her more) that it might have something to do with the fact that her DVD is hooked up through her VCR -- it's a dual-deck one, and it's hooked through one deck that has recently stopped working. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. i also wonder if it has to do with her settings somewhere, as it seems to happen on movies with that chapter function, but she wouldn't have that on the workout DVD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345