+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know something about hawks?

Anyone know something about hawks?

I don't know who to ask, so I thought maybe someone on the FORT would have a suggestion. We have lots of experts around here!

For the past two mornings we have had FOUR hawks hanging out in our back yard. They are very beautiful, however I think they want my beloved duck Marti for breakfast! I can't bring her in the house (ducks are very messy - no sphincter, you know) so she is in our back yard which pretty much makes her a...well...sitting duck.

Does anyone know how to "discourage" hawks from staying around?

I just did a quick search and the only thing I found was from Clemson University. It said that fireworks and scarecrows are the only things they have found that work with hawks. Unfortunately, they are not easily frightened away.

A hawk adopted my grandfather once. We all called it "Charlie". It would wait for him to come out of the house in the morning and follow him around all day. Unfortunately, it also tried to feed Poppy and was always dropping dead and half dead animals around him. This led to the not-so-pleasant experience of having a live snake dropped nearly on his head once. Anyway, that was totally off subject, but it just shows that hawks are pretty intelligent and independent and you'll probably have a hard time scaring them off. Particularly if there are four of them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Perhaps a fake larger bird, like a great horned owl might do the trick.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My aunt used to tie tiny pie tins to the limbs of her fruit trees to keep the bird from pecking her fruit. It worked great. I am not sure if it was the sound as the hit the limbs or the sun sparkling off of them. If it was the sound then maybe you can hang a few cheap wind chimes from the dollar store in the trees. hehe
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Is there any chance they're an endangered species or anything? That might limit your options, so be careful.
    I know nothing about fending off hawks, but maybe you could build the duck a little area with a roof, to protect her?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Hawks, and all other Birds of Prey (including vultures) are federally protected and you will be fined for harming them. Make sure that whatever you do to scare them off doesn't hurt them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

You may want to contact a wildlife reserve to see if they have any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Hawks, and all other Birds of Prey (including vultures) are federally protected and you will be fined for harming them. Make sure that whatever you do to scare them off doesn't hurt them.
    Oh no, I definitely don't want to hurt them! I just don't want them to eat my pets. If I wasn't worried about that I'd be thrilled to have them around (although I wouldn't want them bringing me dead things to eat).

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming if anyone has something to ad!

MR, I found a site that carries something called terroreyes. It is like a big 2 foot beach ball with a face of a big bird on it. I'll try and attach an image. Maybe you could replicate it on both sides of posterboard and hang it in your yard. (Sounds like a good end of summer activity for bored kids!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by MollyRose
    I don't know who to ask, so I thought maybe someone on the FORT would have a suggestion. We have lots of experts around here!

For the past two mornings we have had FOUR hawks hanging out in our back yard. They are very beautiful, however I think they want my beloved duck Marti for breakfast! I can't bring her in the house (ducks are very messy - no sphincter, you know) so she is in our back yard which pretty much makes her a...well...sitting duck.

Does anyone know how to "discourage" hawks from staying around?
    Molly, four hawks are a lot to be hanging around a small area; they're pretty territorial. So maybe two of them are this years chicks, which would mean at least two of them will be gone soon.
    Some hawks are migratory, so maybe they're just passing through on their way to somewhere else.
    Also, you might not have anything to worry about anyway, depending on what type of hawks they are. We only have a few in the U.S. that would be any danger to a duck. Maybe you could get a bird book or look for a website that will help you identify the hawks so you could find out if there's even anything to worry about.
    Without knowing what kind of hawks they are, I'll agree with some of the other posters here; the best bet would be to put some type of cover on the duck's pen.
    Hopefully the hawks are just passing through and you won't have to worry about it long. Good luck!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast