+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you thank your spouse for housework?

Do you thank your spouse for housework?

An interesting thing happened today..
    I worked like a dog until 11pm last night getting my house in 'mother in law shape' because I was expecting some parents for an interview. I got everything done except sweeping the floors. I left hubby a note.. I said "It would be great if you could sweep the floors."
    So when I woke up the floors were swept and he even vacuumed while I was in the shower..
    He said ok.. I swept and vacuumed for you I said "Great!!" and he just kinda looked at me, expectantly.
    Was I supposed to say thank you? When did ALL of the housework become my job? I know that the FORT is littered with awesome men who take on all of the housework so my question is:

Do you/Should you thank your spouse for doing housework?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I actually let my husband do most of the cleaning except for the kitchen and bathrooms. He's better at vacuuming and sorting things out than I am. I wasn't brought up doing any chores around the house. I don't say thanks for that, only when he cooks dinner.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Hell no, that's her job.

*ducks*

Okay, yes, I thank my wife for doing the housework, sometimes. Probably not nearly enough.

Men are like dogs - they like to be rewarded for the smallest accomplishment. Rub his belly, he'll be good to go.

You mean after I've been revived with smelling salts? Yeah, I give him a cookie. Sometimes even a gold star.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Gee I guess I lucked out in the husband dept.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Hell no, that's her job.

*ducks*
    Bad dog!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Men are like dogs - they like to be rewarded for the smallest accomplishment. Rub his belly, he'll be good to go.
    *sigh* it's not his belly he'll be wanting rubbed
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Dux...now, do you mean housework that I've nagged the s*** out of him for days to do? That will earn a sarcastic "thanks a bunch!", sure. Or are we talking about those (rare), spontaneous bursts of husbandly generousity that occasionally occur when, say, I work on weekends at my paying job?

See, John, I disagree...men are like dogs in many, many ways (but that's a different thread ) but I find that my husband is more likely to channel his inner Martha after a, er, *belly rub* :rolleyes Reward him first, and reap benefits afterward. I personally think he should be thanking ME.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Yep -- I ALWAYS thank myself for doing the housework. I start kissing myself up one arm then down the other.

I thank him, Duxx, but I gave up office work for the glamour of holding down the homestead. Also, I find that if I do he tends to pitch in more.

What I don't thank him for is "watching" his daughter. I know so many women who act like it's the biggest favor for their husbands to watch the kids so they can have lunch with a girlfriend. That's not a job, that's Daddy-daughter time!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I always say comments like.."Wow! It looks great in here!"..or how it smells so clean..etc.. something to at least acknowledge that cleaning was done. Not for any other reason, but I know that's what I'd want to hear.

I don't require "acknowledgment" of any sort, I just like to make Zaaam happy by doing something... if she doesn't notice, then I'll gently remind her of the "mess" that was there before I whipped it into shape!

I just think it's just a good thing to always say something that is nice about it being done... Lord knows a compliment might be all that the other person needs to hear to "keep doing it", or to make him/her know that it's appreciated.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast