+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Do you thank your spouse for housework?

My husband helps out a lot but just has to point out every little thing he does. I often get called to see that he swept the hearth, watered a plant, so on. I can hardly keep a straight face because I always think of the Jeff Foxworth tape where he says the guy goes out to where his wife is resurfacing the drive way, to tell her that he emptied the ash trays for her.
    I'm not a great house keeper, but not a slob either. He got a little disturbed a while back because I had skipped vacuuming under the bed. He knows in advance that I will have a smart ass comeback so why does he bother? "Oh no, I forgot to vacuum under there? What WILL people think when they look under there?" We did almost exchange blows recently while getting ready for a party. I had washed the windows and cleaned the facings. After I got all the furniture back in place he came in started moving stuff so that he could put the furniture polish, that I forgot, on the facings. I never in my life realized that people polished the window facings.
    Oh yes I forgot to mention that he is very thorough about chores, meaning SLOW. I can have the dishes washed and put away (no dishwasher, thank you) while he is prewashing everything. And I love when I am washing dishes and realize that my dishcloth is gone. He has gotten it to clean the counter tops, whatever, while I'm standing there with my hands in the water.
    What does any of this tirade have to do with thanking my husband? It just proves that you probably will not blow a blood vessel or anything while thanking your husband for helping while you have your teeth clamped tight and your fists doubled up behind your back. Remember what I'm telling you girls and you may be stuck with the same partner for thirty nine years and nine months. I thank God daily for the aggravation I endure from a good man who loves me. Believe me, I was married to a jerk once. I know the difference.

My husband does help out some around the house........but most of the time its because I have to ask(and I don't feel like I should have to ask---he should see things that need to be done! he has two eyes too!)

but it when he tries to tell me how to do a chore that irkes me.......and last night he was trying to give my daughter pointers on how to do the dishes and I told him no thanks......she is doing a great job by herself! She is doing them and within reason let her do them her way.......its only my opinion but that's how I feel.

off my rant.!
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Pansygirl I agree with you. No two people do things the same way. I have spent all these years telling my husband that. In his opinion there are two ways to do things. One is his way, the other is the wrong way. That is not necessarily the case. Like you, I feel the kids should do things their way. Usually they will follow what they've seen their mother do in the kitchen. Nothing wrong with that. Besides if it means I don't have to do it, have at it.
    Another thing I just thought of. We have lived in the same house for twenty-four years. Most things in the kitchen have always been kept in the same place as now. Why doesn't he know that that mixing bowl goes over the sink instead of under the counter? I hate to play the hide and seek game when I'm trying to get a meal ready.

Mudda, I hear you on the hide-and-seek, nothing is ever in the same place twice at my house!!

Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    Au contraire, mon frere! My OCD former spouse knew allllllll about household chores. Three times a week, 2 1/2 to 3 hours a session. The man cleaned EVERYTHING.
    I have always enjoyed your posts, but I have to say, this last one is probably the funniest post I have EVER READ. You should be writing professionally, or do you? Any recapping in your history? I am still !!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    I have always enjoyed your posts, but I have to say, this last one is probably the funniest post I have EVER READ. You should be writing professionally, or do you? Any recapping in your history? I am still !!
    Thank you...you made my day.

Naw, I don't write professionally, unless you count job requisitions and corporate policy statements and training guides...heh heh.

The recappers here do such a fantastic job, there's no way I could possibly submit anything even close to as entertaining as what I read every week!

This is interesting timing. I just got back from a 4-day vacation with an old girlfriend. I have been married 22 years, and have never gone away without my family, so I wasn't sure what I'd be coming home to. (I'm home during the day, so most of the household chores fall on me with my 17-year-old daughter helping out occasionally.) I got home last night, the kitchen was clean, clothes had been washed and dried (not put away), the house had not been vacuumed (we have two dogs who do a good share of shedding -- I vacuum every day), but the house was in good shape, and they were both SO HAPPY to see me. My daughter hugged me for 5 minutes straight, telling me I am never to leave home again, she missed me so much! My husband is a wonderful man anyway (I was married to a dud before, so I also know what I have), but he was so attentive and happy to see me. I have decided I need to do this MORE OFTEN, ha! Ordinarily I do the inside, and he does the outside. He's one of those who can't sit still, and so he is constantly working on improving our front and back yards, so I am not about to complain! I think I am very fortunate. There is hope for most....there are some good guys out there. I should add, my husband's grandmother lived with his mother and three siblings, and SHE RULED THE ROOST. She taught ALL the kids (2 boys, 2 girls) how to iron, clean, wash dishes, etc. We didn't marry until he was 32, so he was quite able to take care of himself when I found him! That's probably the secret.

GG, just saw your post.....you are quite welcome. You definitely have a talent with words.
    Last edited by roseskid; 08-20-2004 at 07:50 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678