+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you thank your spouse for housework?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think it's an urban legend men even know how to do household chores

I've told this story before, but I was once called out of a super important meeting with every freaking manager in the district to give instructions on dryer use. He'd never turned it on before and needed a certain piece of clothing.

Harmoj! Sounds like your hubby is a gem and is taking good care of you.

My husband does a lot of housework, but I don't thank him. He has obsessive compulsive disorder, so he can't really help himself, and most of the time it bugs me. For example, he does the dishes after dinner. Why? Because I don't do it right (apparently there is a correct way to load a dishwasher). The end result is good--no dishes. We switch off on laundry and diapers when he's home. All in all, he contributes a lot more than average. (Confession--I'm a rotten housekeeper. For the heavy duty scrubbing activities, I have a maid come in every other week )

About "babysitting" your own offspring: I've almost got him cured of thinking of it that way. He's gone so much that it doesn't come up often, but when I do get the rare night out, I don't ask him if he can watch the kids anymore. I just leave.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    I think it's an urban legend men even know how to do household chores
    Au contraire, mon frere! My OCD former spouse knew allllllll about household chores. Three times a week, 2 1/2 to 3 hours a session. The man cleaned EVERYTHING.

You know the china hutch with the good china that gets dusted inside a couple times a year? Dusted out and all dishes and crystal washed once a week. He vacuumed the bed. He vacuumed the curtains. He was in the bathroom 15 seconds after I left it to ensure there were no water spots in the sink or on the faucet...and to ensure I didn't put any trash in the wastebasked. Because...you all knew this, right? Bathroom trashcans are for D-E-C-O-R-A-T-I-O-N, not for trash.

Two shirts = a full load of laundry. I did do the cooking, but every night after I'd cleaned the kitchen, he'd sneak upstairs and reclean it. He had a special basket by the back sliding door with glass cleaner in it. If one of the dogs made a smuck on the window? It was gone in 5 seconds. He would fluff the couch cushion and smooth out the buttmarks after I got up...even though I was going to get a drink and would be back in 30 seconds.

Oh, and NO MOPS. He scrubbed every floor that wasn't carpeted by hand. Three times a week. For real. One pair of shoes only by the front door, and please tuck your shoelaces in, ok???

This probably sounds like I can't stand the man, but we really are still good friends. He married a coughdumbyounggolddiggercough with 2 kids so I'm guessing his OCD housekeeping days are over. Except I know she doesn't know how to cook (she called a mutual friend for help making HamburgerHelper) so maybe he's gotten a new hobby.

Hi,
    I am sort of new here, I have been lurking on the ANTM threads for a while.

I couldn't help posting when I saw grammargoddess and spegs' posts. My husband has OCD as well. And honestly, most of the time I love it. He is not as far gone as your ex is goddess, he can at least wait until I finish my dinner before washing dishes! But he does clean after I do, which I found very annoying until I decided that he needed to do that to make himself happy. So now, I just let him clean his little heart out. Our apartment is always immaculate. Not that i was messy before, it just was cleaned the "right way" for him. Fine with me! More time to watch my crack TV!

I could really use an OCD husband for a week. Maybe I can find one on Trading Spouses, and get fifty grand to boot. (Although he'd probably allocate the fund to cleaning fluid.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    I've told this story before, but I was once called out of a super important meeting with every freaking manager in the district to give instructions on dryer use. He'd never turned it on before and needed a certain piece of clothing.
    I have a client who bought 30 pairs of black socks after his wife died because he didn't know how to use the washer and dryer. Not too surprisingly, he was remarried within the year.

Quote Originally Posted by cahalanmac
    Hi,
    I am sort of new here, I have been lurking on the ANTM threads for a while.

I couldn't help posting when I saw grammargoddess and spegs' posts. My husband has OCD as well. And honestly, most of the time I love it. He is not as far gone as your ex is goddess, he can at least wait until I finish my dinner before washing dishes! But he does clean after I do, which I found very annoying until I decided that he needed to do that to make himself happy. So now, I just let him clean his little heart out. Our apartment is always immaculate. Not that i was messy before, it just was cleaned the "right way" for him. Fine with me! More time to watch my crack TV!
    I loved that he cleaned. What I didn't love was the frequency...3 times a week for a couple hours at a stretch. I just felt like any time we had to spend together, he spent cleaning!!

And....

cahalanmac! Welcome to the FORT. Yes, Mr. Spegs is not as extreme as GG's ex (which is probably why he is not an ex...yet). I don't mind the cleaning as much as the timing and the whining. Because he doesn't think he has a problem, which is hard. He thinks everyone wants the vacuum marks even all the time, and he complains when footprints in the freshly vacuumed carpet don't drive me crazy, too. Like GG's ex, he cleans the plates after dinner as soon as they hit the counter. Sometimes he eat there, standing at the counter, washing everyone's dishes (we have three children, so mess is unavoidable. The man lives with pain).
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Spegs,
    I now have a vision of you being married to Adrian Monk.

Chairman of the Bored Cruella_DeVil's Avatar

Chiming in....

:rolleyes At one point... many, many, many moons ago, it use to be a 50/50 deal as far as the household chores, etc. Somehow, the longer we woman are married to these guys they seem to become senile, retarded, just plain stooooopid when it comes to doing anything around the house other than sit on their fat ass and watch sports.

No way would I thank him if he actually bothered to do anything and if he tries these days he pulls the old "do it half assed" and maybe she won't bug me to do the chore (whatever it may be) again!!!! SUX and I have been on to that gig for a long time but haven't said a thing. I do *think* all the time what a jackass he has really turned out to be but as long as there is a paycheck...

I guess after you have been married as long as I have been you become immune or just ignore it all to keep from going insane!!!! May as well just start and quit :deadhorse.

MHO? No thanks to any husband unless it truly is above and beyond. If you treat them too politely they turn into MY husband. I have definitely learned MY lesson. Yep, that idiot did turn into HIS father!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast