+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you thank your spouse for housework?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I actually let my husband do most of the cleaning except for the kitchen and bathrooms. He's better at vacuuming and sorting things out than I am. I wasn't brought up doing any chores around the house. I don't say thanks for that, only when he cooks dinner.

Texi, you and I have a lot in common. I'm really not the cleaning type. I get bored very easily with it. I do all the laundry though (won't let him near the washing machine because the last time he did laundry, he had light blue underware ) We have an agreement with the cooking....whoever gets home first does the cooking. Most of the time he's home before me because I work 9-5 and he has to be to work by 5:30 am He is the better cook
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Well, I couldn't think of a nicer person to have stuff in common with, CC
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

*ahem* Texie, Jewls...I said I was just thinking of joining the other team. But I'll wash your floors if you buy me some jewelry.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Angel boy
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I thank him, Duxx, but I gave up office work for the glamour of holding down the homestead. Also, I find that if I do he tends to pitch in more.

What I don't thank him for is "watching" his daughter. I know so many women who act like it's the biggest favor for their husbands to watch the kids so they can have lunch with a girlfriend. That's not a job, that's Daddy-daughter time!
    I agree, hepcat!! The other night my hubby gave our 3 month old son a bath and then had the nerve to say to me sarcastically, "you're welcome!" I told him I shouldn't have to thank him, THAT IS HIS SON. He got the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by John

Men are like dogs - they like to be rewarded for the smallest accomplishment. Rub his belly, he'll be good to go.

You described my husband to a tee. When he cleans the garage I always have to "come out and look" at it. But I've seen and met other womens husbands and I am eternally grateful for the man I've been blessed with, even if he takes me for granted sometimes.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Saying "thanks" for house work means that it is a TASK IMO.. but to simply compliment someone and the hard work they put into it, makes it something to be "proud" of... like you did a great job (even if it was half-assed).

AJane, to "go to the other side"..or switch "teams".. you have to be put up in front of a panel of 100 of us, and grilled for a week before your application will even be "considered".
    Majority of applicants say it was well worth it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

*runs off to start studying*

So, Mav...is there like a book I can get from the library to cram for this test?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Dammit, Mav. Keep telling us stuff like that and that's it, I'm joining your team.

People my age have a very defined division of chores. Women cook, clean, make babies, and show up at the door in plastic wrap when the husband comes home (well, not really...but the plastic wrap thing was very popular because of a book some dip-poop woman wrote ..."Total Woman" I think it was called). We are not supposed to expect thanks for these chores, because our husbands have to leave the home to go to work. In theory, their work would be manual hard labor like building houses or paving the roads. Often the jobs that men have now are non-physically exertive at all. But the husband-wife role is still the same.

I would thank my soon-to-be-ex, but if on the rare occasion he did something like change a lightbulb...he would puff his chest out proudly and tell me how good he was. He would continue to tell me how great thou art....One time he asked me if I was going to tell him he did a good job. I just calmly said "I don't feel the need to toot your horn...when you are doing such a good job of tootin' it yourself"
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Thank him???...I usually just point out the spots he missed.

Truthfully, my husband does more than his fair share. I just can't seem to get anything done between taking the kids to swim lessons, gymnastics, FORT, playdates, etc. However, when he stays home with the kids, he get everything clean and is down on the floor playing games with them. I honestly don't know how he does it. He really should have been the one to leave his career and stay home with the kids. He never expects me to say thanks, just wants me to keep up with my share of the marital duties if you know what I mean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast