+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a Windows 2000 expert for a second...

I need a Windows 2000 expert for a second...

So, now that you're here

I need to put something in place on a Win2k server to send me an e-mail when it's rebooted (probably upon startup would be logical), and I don't know how.

One of my clients keeps rebooting a machine, and there's a program that runs in the background that can't be auto-started. The thing is, they keep forgetting to restart that program manually, and it's causing problems. So, if the server e-mails me when they reboot it, I can get in and start it myself.

Any ideas?

John,

One way of determining a reboot would be to check the registry. I don’t know the exact entry, but you could check against a known value (previous boot time) and then use the “AT” to check every 5 minutes or so. If the variables are different you could then fire off a batch command to send an e-mail.

There is also a shareware program called “what’s up gold” that has a real cool interface to do exactly what you’re looking for.

Blue Meanie
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Thanks, I'll look for that shareware and check it out.

Me again

I just looked at the features for that software, and it appears to monitor computers on your network. I'm not sure that'll work, as I only need to monitor this one computer, and I'm not on their network. So, the program would have to run on that computer, and I don't see that it will monitor itself (I could be wrong, though).

John,

You are correct, the software is designed to monitor other nodes on the network but there is a feature that allows you to send a page/e-mail message when the monitoring software is started. This should accomplish what you are trying to do.

I am not at work right now but I have some utilities that I could probably hack in an hour or so to do exactly what you're looking for. Let me know if you would like me to do so and I'll get something to you tomorrow.

BM
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

I'm definitely interested in getting something working. 2 days in a row now this week, they've rebooted without telling me. The software processes data for a third client, and that client calls me to find out why they don't have any data - it makes both my client and me look bad.

John,

You've probably already considered it, but wouldn't it be easier to set up the application to auto-start upon reboot?

I am by no means an expert on scripting, but I would imagine that's something that could be included in a log-in script. If not, aren't there utilities that can do that? (Hell, isn't that something that Windows Task Manager can handle?)

Your idea about getting an email is a good 'un, and damn if it isn't driving me crazy because I'm positive something like that can be done, but it would still require you to get email, read email, find a halfway intelligent human being to restart the application, etc. If you can automate it, that may be the best solution at the end of the day.

Also, why is this machine getting rebooted so often? Maybe the admins/users at this location ought to leave it the hell alone!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Both of those are good, frustrating questions. But long stories

The application I need to run is not built very well, and needs a lot of hand-holding to get and keep running. And touchy. It really needs a human.

As for why the server's getting rebooted, I don't know. They don't tell me. It's a situation that's kind of out of my client's control, as they lease those servers from their ISP, so they're not even physically in-house.

Off the top of my head i can think of two possible solutions.
    The one i would probably use is if the Win2k machine is also running SQL Server I would create a SqlServer Alert to email me when Sql Agent starts, since SQL Agent is a system service i would launch when 2k launches (and most importantly without needing someone to log on first). Since every box i build that has 2k server on it also has SQL Server this would work with almost no additional configuration needed.
    If the server box does not have SQL then i guess i would have to create a windows service for that machine that emails on startup, and add that service to the box.
    I would think that Active Directory Services would have a notification tool that would also alow for email notification upon startup, but off the top of my head, i'm not sure how it would be configured.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

I just thought of a different way of looking at this problem. There are many network monitoring tools available that will notify by email when a server is no longer responding. If installed on another machine on the same network, that would also notify of a reboot.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast