+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any other Body-For-Lifers or general exercise nuts?

Any other Body-For-Lifers or general exercise nuts?

I figured with the 1000s of people on here, there would be at least a few exercise nuts around. I've been on Body-For-Life, designed by Bill Phillips, for quite a while. Does anyone else drag myoplex or similar supplements to the office?

It would be really interesting to here what sort of training everyone does, along with fitness goals and anything that gives you that extra spark to excel (favorite workout music, nutritious recipes, recommended home gym equipment, etc)

Hope to hear from everyone! I have to go drink my Myoplex.

Eric

My company has a gym in the building where I work. I go and work out in the morning before I start work. As far as supplements go I usually eat a Met-RX protien bar for breakfast in the car on the way in. When I get to my desk I mix up some creatine and drink that down before my coffee. I also keep some protein powder that I'll either mix with water or skim milk or mix into some oatmeal. Gotta keep that protein intake up if you want to build muscle.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Funny this thread came up today. This morning, I started doing a combination of Pilates and Yoga again after I had stopped for awhile due to a bout with illness. They are truly the only exercising I can keep doing without getting bored. No diet supplement, though. Unless you count Oreos and Chili Cheese Dogs.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

ESMattyD-

I was a huge EAS nut when Bill Phillips and Muscle Media came into the light. Never took the BFL challenge, but do use the principles of food amounts. I now use a few other brand name supplements as EAS is not the same as it used to be and their prices are way to expensive.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Hey Speedbump,

My wife accuses me of being in some sort of Bill Philips cult. I'll say something like, "Well, Bill suggests that you have protein with every meal," and she'll flip out. Sometimes I do it on purpose.

I use a variety of different supplements too. For protein, I usually just use the cheapo Designer Whey Protein. I can get like a 2 month supply for $50 or $60 from GNC. For snacks I use EAS Advantage bars and shakes, since they're only 200 calories or so, and since they're super cheap at Kroger. I'm also thinking about getting back on creatine, since I enjoyed really good results with it in the past, as far as building muscle more quickly.

I always make sure I get my 6 meals in each day. Every meal is protein/carb combo with pretty low fat. Drink so much water that I, with my woman-like bladder, have to run to the restroom every 2 hours. And I must work out int he morning because I'll never do it after a long day of beating up on plaintiff lawyers.

What are you currently taking? Anything fairly inexpensive?

esmattynd - When you took creatine, how long did you use it for? I recently read something about cycling it 8 weeks on and then 4 - 8 weeks off.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

The BFL is a great guideline for getting in shape or kickstarting your workout program. You don't even have to take supplements to have solid results with the dietary and workout plan. It basically helps eliminate guesswork. All you need is the commitment. The only "gimmick" is that he wants you to use EAS products. One can buy the same products from other retailers and save a bundle. I only use MRP's and cycle with creatine. I've found that I do well with keeping it simple.

I have my workout plan already in place as soon as I get the greenlight from the doctors. Been dealing with some surgery issues the last 10 months and my weight has jumped about 20-30 pounds. Some of the drugs I'm on has slowed down my metabolismm. I can do real basic excercises but for short periods. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to my old routines.

I fell out of the Bill "cult" when BFL became the sole focus of Muscle Media and EAS. Then, Wieder joined in, Bill left Muscle Media and it no longer seemed like a secret club. On the flip side, because of mass marketing, BFL has changed thousands of people. It doesn't have the same hype as South Beach or Atkins because unlike those fad diets (which I'm guilty of trying) BFL actually requires some sweat and hardwork into achieving your goals. It's not the quick fix that so many desire.

FH- there are so many types of creatine concoctions available nowadays. I stick with the old fashioned powdered kind. It's cheaper now and does have the same results as long as you're consistent in your loading phase. You can actually stretch your creatine by cutting a few grams since studies have shown that your body pisses a good amount away anyways. A buddy of mine takes Advantage creatine serum. He swears by that stuff. You drop 5 drops under your tongue before a workout and that's it. It also cost's about 15 bucks more. Depends on budget I guess.
    Last edited by speedbump; 08-12-2004 at 01:55 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    This is a really cool thread. Thanks, esmattynd! I LOVE to exercise, and have been at it, religiously for the past 4 years now. I originally got into it right after my boob job, with the intention of someday looking like a Playboy Centerfold – hell, I had the rack for it, so why not right? Wrong. Whatever goals I had originally when going into a fitness plan went out the window when I realized that fitness and health are more about feeling good about oneself among countless other things in general. I do 5-7 miles on a treadmill or elliptical 3 times a week, with total body conditioning 3 times a week (The Firm workout tapes are a GOD SEND!). I used to squeeze Pilates and/or Yoga a couple of times a week too, but it’s become hard to commit my time to nothing but exercise when I’ve also got work, reality TV, and the occasional happy hour. Props to SG to sticking to pilates and yoga because flexibility is probably the most important part of a fitness program next to heart-healthy cardio.

I also make a point to make healthy eating choices, which can be very challenging, especially in an office environment when someone always comes in with leftover brownies, birthday cake, coffee breaks, etc. etc. I exercise to keep my metabolism up so I’m allowed to indulge every once in a while, and by that I mean like every two days or so . I take supplements and vitamins to ensure that I consume adequate nutrition, popping more GD pills than one could count (Daily Vitamin, C, E, B-12, Calcium, and Flaxseed) with every bloody meal.

But the point to all of this, of course, is just keeping healthy. I rarely get sick and have no back pain because I condition my abs five times a week not only to look good, but to prevent injury—especially when I’m not getting any younger. I encourage ALL of you to do something- anything! Exercise makes you feel better all around about yourself and other people. And although I went into it initially because of vanity (which is understandable-- I got a boob job for chrissakes! Sue me—I was 20 and wanted to wear plunging necklines ), it really just makes you FEEL good (and for those of you who are somewhat vain—when you FEEL good, you LOOK good ).

I am proud to say that I resisted a co-worker's suggestion that we go get burgers and fries for lunch today for lunch!!

I was nice about it, but I made it clear that I would not eat such junk during the week, unless its my one "free day," which I typically reserve for a weekend day. I know its sometimes hard to say "no" to the office birthday cake, the donuts people bring in, etc., but if you say "no" enough, people should eventually stop trying to tempt you.

I see these other attorneys and businessmen downtown with the biggest beer bellies - its digusting! I don't understand how anyone lets to get to the point where they can't see their own feet. Plus, can you say "chronic back problems." I've never been to a chiropractor in my life (don't get me started about them!) and I'll do everything I can to avoid it.

Speedbump, dvm, etc., thanks for the great posts! Its nice to know there are a few like-minded folks around here. Have a great and healthy weekend!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    I see these other attorneys and businessmen downtown with the biggest beer bellies - its digusting! I don't understand how anyone lets to get to the point where they can't see their own feet. Plus, can you say "chronic back problems." I've never been to a chiropractor in my life (don't get me started about them!) and I'll do everything I can to avoid it.
    I know what it is... complacencey! Exercise takes a lot of motivation/determination at first, but you just have to keep at it until you're body feels like crap if you stop.

You all have a great weekend too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast