+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any other Body-For-Lifers or general exercise nuts?

I love to exercise. I do aerobics, Pilates, and just plain old walking. It would be nice if I could find something that would return my body back to pre-baby shape, mind you. Short of surgery, that is.

I suppose if I could curb my M&Ms addiction...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I also make a point to make healthy eating choices, which can be very challenging, especially in an office environment when someone always comes in with leftover brownies, birthday cake, coffee breaks, etc. etc. I exercise to keep my metabolism up so Iím allowed to indulge every once in a while, and by that I mean like every two days or so . I take supplements and vitamins to ensure that I consume adequate nutrition, popping more GD pills than one could count (Daily Vitamin, C, E, B-12, Calcium, and Flaxseed) with every bloody meal.
    dvm-- sounds like my office. In the five months I've been working at my new job, I've gained 10! pounds. Fortunately, I recently got back into my fitness routine (joined a cool gym on Sunset Blvd... it's so fun! Also picked up a trainer for about 10 sessions...really pushing my finances-- but I figure it's an investment) and am feeling a lot better.

Two years ago I lost 25 lbs. The "healthy" way-- eating moderately and eating healthier foods and exercise. Nothing crazy. My weight fluctuates and it drives me nuts-- but exercise is one thing that always makes me feel better, no matter how my jeans fit or what the scale says.

You're right about complacency, though... once you stop exercising, it is too easy to quit altogether. If you skip a day or two-- it isn't the end of the world. Your muscles won't forget all the hard work before then. I always thought taking more than two or three days off made me a "failure" and sometimes I would stop altogether. I just had to keep. Going. And taking a day or two break makes me anxious to work out again!

My husband did BFL @ 4 years ago & lost 40 lbs. in 3 months. He followed it very closely, did all the work, had the bars, the shakes, supplements...
    He's kept most of the weight off. He gained about 10 of it back, but I was glad b/c I thought he had gotten a little too skinny (He's 6'4" & had gotten down to 190 lbs. Yuck.) Now he just works out regularly & does cardio @ 3 times a week (we both do, plus I do Pilates) & he looks great. The only thing we do anymore is the bars (you can look on-line & find them for a lot cheaper than at the store, I can't remember the name of the site that he gets them from) & the shakes (pre-packaged ones b/c they are convenient & I get them at Costco really cheap). We also take CLA, but I get it from Vitamin World.
    We also try to eat fairly healthy & what's funny is that after you've been eating healthy for a while, when you decide to eat "bad", you actually feel kinda sick afterwards, which makes you think twice before doing it again!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: Any other Body-For-Lifers or general exercise nuts?

So my cousin, who from here on out will be referred to as my least favorite cousin, threw out a 30day ab, arm, and squat challenge. Since I haven't worked in the last 6 months and can feel myself getting even more unhealthy on a daily basis, plus I love me a good challenge, I decided I would do this.
    The dining room being the best place to do a work out I head there. First exercise 15 sit ups. Good I love sit ups. When I was in the Army I could do hundreds of them at a time. Finally work my way down to the floor and wonder who's going to get me back up. Somethings poking me. Crawl to the wall and use it to pull/work my way up. Justins Army man. I better sweep the floor first. Ok time to get serious. Get back on the floor. Something doesn't feel right. Oh better go put a bra on first. Repeat wall crawl. Get bra on and am ready to start. Do a sit up, or at least attempt to. Ok somethings not working right. Oh I know I should use my tennis shoes instead of my houseshoes. That might keep my feet on the floor. Repeat wall crawl. Get my tennis shoes on. Ok here we go. We are going to rock this. By rocking I mean laying on the floor looking like a turtle stuck on its back. Richards gf walks by at this time. Hey are you busy? No. Can you hold my feet down? Sure. She is approx. 4'9" weighing 80lbs. First sit up I damn near threw her into the wall. Sit up 8 and I don't want to do anymore. She's trying to motivate me. "You can do it. Get up here." I threw that little hussy out of my house and told her to never come back. Painfully finish the sit ups. Can't believe how bad that was.
    Now time for 5 crunches. I'm not sure if I was working out my abs or just giving myself a neck adjustment. Done!
    5 leg raises. I got this. This is my favorite ab exercise.
    Now time for a 10 sec plank. Is that where I have to hold myself up between two objects? Better consult the internet. Nope this is some kind of weird push up thing using my elbows. Is this supposed to make me healthy or give the one joint in my body that doesn't suffer pain a reason to hurt me? Get that out of the way. Luckily I don't have a stop watch so I was able to count ten seconds really fast. Whew Ab challenge out of the way.
    Now for the squat challenge. Got to do 50. FIFTY?? Go check internet because surely to God it says 5. Nope its 50. I got to 20 and decided I'm going to chuck that challenge. They win. The back of my thighs feel like they're quivering. I wasn't sure if I was doing squats or trying to poop something the size of a truck. I might need more instructions on how to do these.
    Now the arm challenges. 5 push ups. I have never been good at these. In the army during fitness challenges I would get in the line of someone I knew who wouldn't judge my push ups to harshly. But hey! I only have to do 5. Work my way back to the floor get into push up position and my arms immediately start shaking. Ok I have seriously let myself go way to much. And doooown. Suck in a dust bunny. Spend the next 5mins rolling around on the floor trying to cough it up. I have never denied being the worst house keeper in history and now I just proved it to myself. Try to finish the push ups only making it half way down each time. I think about all the fitness test I did in the Army and think, "Try judging these, bitches!"
    Now for 5 dips. I see people do these and it looks so cool and kind of easy. I push a chair up against the wall and get into position. Hey! I'm holding myself up and it doesn't feel to bad. And doooown. OH Holy Mother of God! What sadistic bastard came up with this idea?? Fire is now shooting down the back of my upper arms. Strain with everything I have and make it back up. By the third one I'm convinced someone was holding a hot poker to the back of my arms. The fifth time I was down I wanted to just let go and let myself fall to the floor. But I'm not sure what might be on the floor beneath me. Only way I was able to dig deep and pull it out was the fear that if I fell I would have one of Justins army men stuck up my ass.
    Time for 10 bicep curls. Can't find any of the weights that I've been tripping over for years so I weak legged my way to the pantry. By this time my whole body is starting to quiver. Find two cans of green beans. Are these a pound? Nope only 14.5 onces. Even better! Do the bicep curls.
    Now its time for 10second punches. This is great as I'm now in the mood to hit someone. This is by far my favorite exercise and I'm glad I saved it for last. Which means I must have been doing them wrong.
    That's it. I'm done. Except the guilt I feel for only doing 20 squats. So I talk myself into giving them another try. I got to five and decided I'm keeping the butt. I mean people sing songs about my butt. How much they like it, how it makes the rockin world go round. Yeah I'm keeping the butt. Plus at this rate it would be the 60day squat challenge and I didn't sign on for that.
    So that's day one. I'm pretty sure if you listen quietly you'll hear Richard Simmons crying.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Hahahahaha! You should do stand up!
    I need to do some at-home exercises, but maybe not these.
    CantGetNuf likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I've been planning on getting back into a regular exercise schedule in January, however, I've had what I believe to be bursitis in my left hip. It's now bothering me almost everyday and most every night. I intend to get a cortisone shot in it, but am waiting on my health insurance card. They keep promising me it's on the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else that might help the pain? I know I can take Ibuprofen, but I hate to make that a habit, as long term use concerns me.

Are you sure it's bursitis? Hip pain is often associated with sciatica. Physiotherapy can help with that. But if you are waiting on insurance, try stretching if it's not too painful.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Are you sure it's bursitis? Hip pain is often associated with sciatica. Physiotherapy can help with that. But if you are waiting on insurance, try stretching if it's not too painful.
    I'm not familar with sciatica. I'll google it.

I've never been diagnosed, but I have had bursitis in my shouldar before years ago. I've also had two frozen shoulders. No one knows what causes that.

Anyway, I made an appointment. I can't get in until Feb. 3. I did get my insurance id numbers so I think I'm okay on that now.

I'll look up some stretching moves. I'll try anything...................... ........................

I think you hit the nail on the head! I think it is sciatica, because I have pain that generates in my lower back and down the side of my leg. I found these stretches! THANK YOU!

Best Sciatica Stretch For Fast Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief - YouTube
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12