+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post-Traumatic Stress Anyone?

Post-Traumatic Stress Anyone?

As I live in Manhattan, and have for a few years, there are constant studies and signs about PTS. I had been doing the whole griedf counseling thing, and was warned that other memories might come back. As I work in a hospital I was able to speak with someone working on one of the studies who said that there were no new cases of PTS after 9/11, but that it triggered the whole childhood/previous trauma bit, and I should look into it further.

My question, anyone here have PTS? What is treatment like? Did therapy work? I've been having the dreams, unwanted memories, detached etc, had a violent childhood but am a fully functional member of society by psych terms.

Just curious.

Just wanted to throw a your way, Glitter. I don't have any advice or experiences to share.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Me, too, Glitter. Have had some traumas in my lifetime, but nothing like 9/11. I can't give you any information, but can throw some love your way.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

What they said. I suffered terrible, panicky flashbacks in the nights after my brother died of cancer, and that was a natural death, not a horrific event like 9/11.
    I would really urge you to get counseling, because the pain and fear need some sort of healthy release. Otherwise, like PTSD, it will come out in some other unhealthy fashion.
    Most employers have an Employee Assistance Program that offers free counseling.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Not that this will help much but I was diagnosed with PTS after 1 counselling session. I kind of knew it was there but would avoid some activities and/or places to help harbour the memories. Just the counsellor saying matter of factly " You have PTS" helped me. I think I went to 2 or 3 more sessions but her 'diagnosis' gave me an explanation for things. I dont think I will ever get over it completely I have just learned to live with it. Its the past and I cant change it, all I can hope for is for some reason it was meant to happen and I will be a better person as a result.
    Good Luck to you and I do think that talking is key. Keeping all of your feelings inside can only go on for so long. Whether it is a counsellor, a friend or a relative talking is is the way to go.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I had a bad case of PTSA after a nasty physical assault. I won't bore you with the detials, but if you want to PM I'll share what I know - if you think that would help.

I want to give a hug not just to Glitter, but to everybody in this thread for all you've had to go through!

Anyway, Glitter, can PM me if you'd like to talk, even though you've already gotten some excellent advice in the thread here. I won't go into it in depth here, but my husband's entire family is in New York, and 9/11 affected them deeply and irrevocably.

BTW, I'm not quite sure what you were saying about the person you spoke to at the hospital who said:

there were no new cases of PTS after 9/11, but that it triggered the whole childhood/previous trauma bit
    Could you clarify?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

To respond to Snowlfake's query:

The counselor said that PTS in general doesn't come from one such incident as 9/11. If people have had no other trauma in their lives, then they were able to process it normally, and that few NEW cases of PTSD were diagnosed.

However, those who have had trauma in their lives previously, such as an abusive childhood, attack, etc. had a much harder time as 9/11 brought these memories to the forefront and reaffirmed the person's distrust in the order of the world, etc and brought back memories they didn't want, etc.

Thus, all 9/11 really did was bring people in to help with resurfacing memories in light of the new violent action seen/heard/experienced.

And a big ol' thanks for all the group hugs! I think the diagnosis did make me go 'ahh, so that's why . . .' and I have already been able to get more sleep then before. While I'd love to be able to talk to my friends about it, and as dear as they are and helpful as can be, my childhood is so foreign to them, it feels like I'm subjecting them to it rather than helping myself.

As I look at it, everything happened to form the person I am today, and I'm not half bad, I just want some rest!
    Last edited by Glitternerfball; 08-11-2004 at 07:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread