+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Technogeeks unite!

I'm no technogeek but I'm posting in this thread rather than making a new one.

HELP! I'm trying to save my resume to CD and I get error messages. The first one says: "Incorrect function" then I click ok and get another message: "You do not have access to folder 'D:\'. See your administrator for access to this file."

I don't get it. I've never saved anything other than music to a CD before. I really need to get this done so hopefully someone can help me.

You "don't have access to D: drive" (what I assume is your CD-R or CD-RW drive) because Windows can't "write" directly to it. You could if you have a CD-RW drive and were using a CD-RW disk, but that's getting too complicated.

If this is a pre-built computer (Gateway, Dell, HP, et al), and the CD-R(W) came with it from the factory, then you've got CD burning software preloaded--probably DirectCD or Nero (if you're lucky).

Launch this (or a similar program), and it should walk you through the steps of getting that file on a blank CD.

By the way, just for the future, we do have a Computer Helpdesk thread under the General Discussion forum.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

My technical supervisor walked into my office yesterday and dropped a box on my desk. It's my new laptop--a Compaq, 1.9 Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, Bluetooth built-in, WiFi, three USB ports, and a camera card reader.

I've just set it up the way I want it, and I'm taking her out for a spin right now.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Thanks phat! I have a Gateway computer and it came with Roxio. Can I use that? I'm so embarrassed that I don't know how to do this!

And thanks for the tip about the Computer Helpdesk thread

Woo hoo!!! All I had to do was format the CD. to you phat
    Last edited by DreamerFish; 06-15-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Does anyone have the PalmOne LifeDrive Mobile Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerFish
    Thanks phat! I have a Gateway computer and it came with Roxio. Can I use that? I'm so embarrassed that I don't know how to do this!

And thanks for the tip about the Computer Helpdesk thread

Woo hoo!!! All I had to do was format the CD. to you phat
    I have the Roxio software that came with my Gateway a couple years ago works great.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    My technical supervisor walked into my office yesterday and dropped a box on my desk. It's my new laptop--a Compaq, 1.9 Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, Bluetooth built-in, WiFi, three USB ports, and a camera card reader.

I've just set it up the way I want it, and I'm taking her out for a spin right now.
    Oooh. How'd the spin work out, phat?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Slingbox

I read about this in my Sports Illustrated I just got today. Anybody have on or have you heard about it?

The Slingbox is a compact and elegantly designed, state-of-the-art electronic device that connects to the back of your TV. It redirects, or “placeshifts,” the TV signal from your cable box, satellite receiver, or digital video recorder (DVR) to your computer or laptop of choice, no matter your location — so long as you have a high-speed Internet connection. This utterly unique device will transform the way you watch TV. Whether you want to watch your soaps in the laundry room, or catch the big game during a conference call, or watch your local news from China, the power is now in your hands.

With a virtual wave of a magic wand, every PC can be transformed into your TV so long as there is a high-speed Internet connection. Now, you can watch live TV using the SlingPlayer™ software. Or, control and manage your TiVo or other DVR from anywhere.

The Slingbox fits neatly into a consumer’s existing TV and network infrastructure. All that is required is a video source providing TV-based entertainment - either cable, satellite TV, or a DVR - and a home router. A broadband network connection is required only if you want to use the Slingbox to view your video source from outside your home.

In just four simple steps, the Slingbox is ready for use.
    1. Connect the TV source to the Slingbox.
    2. Connect the Slingbox to your home network router.
    3. Plug in the Slingbox power adapter.
    4. Install Sling Media’s software application, the SlingPlayer™.

The Slingbox is now ready to view and control your TV programming via your Internet connected Windows XP PC or laptop as if you were sitting in your living room, watching your TV source, and using its own remote control.

The Slingbox is powered by a high-performance digital signal processor from Texas Instruments and leverages Microsoft’s latest Windows Media technologies for live TV streaming. The Sling Media software used to view the streaming video from a Slingbox and to remotely control a user’s cable TV, satellite box, or DVR is called SlingPlayer. SlingPlayer uses proprietary technology designed by Sling Media to significantly enhance the consumer viewing experience.

The SlingPlayer proprietary software encompasses several innovative technologies and features including:

SlingStream™ - a proprietary streaming technology specifically designed to address varying network conditions while optimizing your video playback experience. SlingStream provides the best possible video experience by continuously monitoring the connection speed and dynamically adjusting the video compression ratios to match your available network bandwidth.

SlingRemote™ - a virtual remote control that displays right on your PC screen the remote control buttons for the device that you connected to your Slingbox. If a DVR is connected, you can play your recorded programs and control the action. Recordings can even be scheduled within the SlingPlayer software. Use the SlingRemote to control whatever TV source is connected to the Slingbox.

SlingBar™ - a convenient way to watch TV while using your computer for other functions. You can watch TV while surfing the Web, writing an email, or working on a spreadsheet. Using the SlingPlayer application, the video window and the SlingRemote can be "docked" to one side of the PC screen, in what’s called the SlingBar mode. Your PC desktop will dynamically resize to fit the remaining screen space.

In the coming months, SlingPlayer software will be available for select PDAs, smart phones, and Macintosh computers and will be fully compatible with the Slingbox. Please visit our support site for the latest information on additional Slingbox and SlingPlayer platform compatibility.
    http://www.slingmedia.com//slingbox/

I saw this on HGTV's "I Want That." The slingbox is quite cool especially for those into sports. The price is a little high but if you only have one TV it may be a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I saw this on HGTV's "I Want That." The slingbox is quite cool especially for those into sports.
    That's why they invented it. The guys who came up with the idea travelled quite a bit and were having a hard time keeping up with the S.F. Giants while on the road.

+ Reply to Thread