+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Technogeeks unite!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Okay, I just bought what I think is my favorite technology item yet...

[IMG]images/img/cruzer.jpg[/IMG]

It's the "Cruzer" 512-meg USB hard drive. Just plug it into any computer, and you've got a tiny portable storage device, about as big as your pinky.

I'm on-site with a client who uses them all over, so I had to get one to do my job, but I love it! It's extremely handy.

I've also recently purchased 2 webcams - one for my wife's computer, and one for my laptop, so we can see each other while we chat when I'm away from home. It works pretty slick, and I finally got to show her around my hotel room

Next stop: a Palm Tungsten, like Bill's (the only person who's a bigger technogeek than me, I think).
    I finally got around to getting one of these, and was surprised to see how much the price has gone down! Just picked up a 512mb PNY "Attachť" on sale for $34.99 at Best Buy. WooHoo!

Now who can tell me the cheapest place to get a wireless card for my Sony Vaio laptop that will work with my MacIntosh Airport Station?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

My new "toy"...

...is a Treo cellphone/pda. I just got it a few days ago and how in the world did I do without it for so long!?! I'm determined to organize "my life" now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blueyz28; 11-21-2004 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added pic

I love my thumbdrive, and paid twice as much when I bought it as I would now. I just upgraded to a wireless router so that I could sit upstairs where it's warm and cruise the web in comfort on my laptop rather than down in the cold family room on my desktop. Soooo spoiled, and it was sooo easy to set up! I put it off 'cause the wired router worked so well, and hardware is not my forte, but of the two of us, I'm the expert. The access is actually faster now.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

I upgraded my cell phone (again) since I don't have a land line at home and use my cell for everything. My last phone was a Nokia 6800 with the flip-open QWERTY keyboard and I really liked it. I upgraded to the Nokia 6820 which is essentially the same phone but is Bluetooth-enabled (helloooooooo wireless ear set!) and has Blackberry technology as well. With my corporate discount, I got the headset for $25 (as opposed to $120) and the phone, well...I've never paid for a phone in my life but I ponied up $50 for this one.

Next I want a wireless print server. My home laptop and my work laptop are both wireless and it's a pain in the tushie to have to plug a printer in when I want to print.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    ...is a Treo cellphone/pda. I just got it a few days ago and how in the world did I do without it for so long!?! I'm determined to organize "my life" now!

I just bought the Treo 650 a week and a half ago and I absolutely am in love with this thing.... I've been eyeballing smartphones for a while but until recently, they've been too large, but this one finally has it right.

It actually takes GREAT pics for a phone camera (very crisp clear images)...also, my Palm data from my old device synced perfectly with this one so I didn't skip a beat. I also really like the way the text messages are rolled into one "chat thread" if you're texting someone back and forth.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Those Treos are totally rockin'. Our office has a handful of 'international' Treos, and when my boss was in the Pacific Rim, I could e-mail him from my couch at 11:30 p.m. from my little G100 and get responses just fast as if he was across town. Some technology can still amaze me.

I have a laptop from work that I bring home to browse my wireless home network. I have two PC's and another laptop at home. I have a Blackberry from work, a Pocket PC on loan to me from work, a personal cell phone and my legacy Handspring Visor (read: Palm compatible).

And I'm tired of it. None of them does everything I want a single device to do. I've considered a tablet PC and a full-featured smart phone. I'm glad to hear two ringing endorsements for the Treo, as I've considered one for a while.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Good lord Phat...remind me to steer clear from behind you at airport security.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    Good lord Phat...remind me to steer clear from behind you at airport security.
    I'm usually a pretty easygoing guy, igotatreo, but I don't have a lot of patience at the airport--I get restless easily, and all that waiting doesn't sit well with me--and I certainly have no patience with airport security.

Maybe my problem isn't with airport security but with my fellow passengers who seem stunned--stunned--every time they get to the metal detector and are confronted with a request by the security personnel.

I don't have a lot of patience for the dilly-dally, especially at that point. I want to be through security, have my damn belt and shoes back on, reading a paperback or Premiere and drinking a Bloody Mary about the size of a Big Gulp.

With me, I have shoes and belt in hand, coins/keys/cigarettes ready for the little dog bowl, laptop/celly/other electronics ready for the X-ray machine, and I break on through to the other side. God help anyone who gets in my way.

Just to stay on-topic (), I usually carry my personal cell and my best laptop when I travel, business or pleasure. If nothing else, I like to write FoRT posts when they come to me, so I like the availability of my laptop, and I also can listen to MP3's and watch DVD's.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'm the same way at airports, Phat. Although, I don't yet carry a laptop with me(I don't own one, but I am getting one from work very soon), I am always amazed at the people who go through security with their laptops and don't yet know the drill. You have to take your laptop OUT OF THE BAG moron! Put it in a bin BY ITSELF, then you can send it through.

Personally, I put all my metal(keys, phone, change, etc) in my carryon bag before I even get in line. Shoes and belt off--everything I can do to expedite the process.

Phat...do you still use your Handspring visor? Will the software install on Windows XP? I have an OLD Visor...think grayscale screen, and I still have my file backup on my new XP machine, but I just never got around to installing the software for fear it wouldn't even install on XP.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread