+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    John, can you come over to my house and help us finish our projects? The list is 2 pages long! We live in a really cool flat/slant top, early Eichler rancher. It is a funky home in an older neigborhood, but some of the issues we have run into while fixing it up are crazy. Anyway, here are some of the things we've tackled in the past few years:

Took out vynil kitchen floor and painted the concrete.

Painted everyroom in the house 3 times...or more until the colors were just right.

Ripped out tons of thorny bushes and landscaped. Paid someone to put in new lawns and sprinkler systems (worth every penny!)

Built a sandbox for the kids.

Spent 10 hours changing the front door lockset (we looked like 2 morons)

Changed two of our homes 3 house letters...can't find the pewter toned screws for the third letter and my husband refused to put it up without them.

Started refinishing our kitchen cabinets last summer but haven't had time to finish.

Fixed massive wall cracks.

Ripped out half the bathroom now we need someone to put it back together.

Wood Floors - Paid Someone

Electrical -replaced lights, switches, outlets, added new lighting, etc. - Paid Someone

Too many things still on the to do list so I will stop. By the way, I love every second fixing up our home. Sense of pride you know!
    Martha, I thought you were in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    My husband decided yesterday would be the day to rip out our living room and hallway carpet. We want to install hardwood floors, but will be a few months before we have the funds. We are now walking on unfinished plywood floors. I was thinking we could maybe sand down the plywood and add a stain or a paint or something over it to make it presentable for the time being. Has anybody ever heard of or seen anyone do this?
    You could always paint a faux rug on the floor. Use stencils to make a design. I think it would be fun.
    When we built our house we had to wait for several months to put carpet in the bedrooms. I just got cheap rugs and it was fine. We lived on the unfinished wood floor in the living room and dining room for months before we could afford to get them finished. Had to wait for the income tax return. Again, cheap rugs saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    You could always paint a faux rug on the floor. Use stencils to make a design. I think it would be fun.
    When we built our house we had to wait for several months to put carpet in the bedrooms. I just got cheap rugs and it was fine. We lived on the unfinished wood floor in the living room and dining room for months before we could afford to get them finished. Had to wait for the income tax return. Again, cheap rugs saved the day.
    That is funny! We have actually thought of all kinds of things to do with the floor. Paint a picture or design on it or just stain it. My mom even said the same as keemameelia, just paint some lines and make it look like "wood boards." I think we have come to the conclusion that we are just going to start buying a few boards at a time and get started. We were also trying to hold off until tax return time, but my husband got tired of hearing me say "I can't wait until tax return so we can pull up this carpet!"
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Martha, I thought you were in prison?

So, another weekend, another project! We have two wall heaters. We had new ones installed 2 years ago to replace the broken ones from 1949. These new ones work great and actually heat up the whole house. The only problem is the 5 1/2 foot heater covers that are an old almond color and dingy rusty black. You see one of them as soon as you walk in the house. Our whole living room looks great then there's the disgusting heater covers. The manufacturer doesn't make them to fit anymore and none of the ones on the market fit either. Being the weekend warrior that I am, I proved to my doubting husband that they could look good and "painted" the heater covers with a high heat paint. They look awesome!!!! Both of the rooms with these heaters look 10 times brighter and cleaner. Even mr.applesauce agrees.

Well, we spent this past weekend sanding, filling and painting the plywood floors in the hallway and living room. Not too bad. We painted it a fawn color with a high gloss. We are going to buy a large area rug and throw it down in the middle of the room and a runner for the hallway until tax return time and then we will finish it up. Found a beautiful linoleum (looks like rock tile) at Home Depot. I think that is going to be my new kitchen and bathroom floors! We will definitely wait to pull up the flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms though! I am not saying anything to my husband about that floor! Thanks to all who gave suggestions on what to do with plywood floors!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

wow you guys have all been hard at work!!
    I have a few complaints about my house.. first of all when we bought the house there was not one sheetrock wall. Every single wall in my house is either troweled stucco, wood panneling or faux brick ( ) The upstairs looks like the outside of a tudor house with the dark brown beams and white stucco... if I knew how to take that off I would in a second. We've been living with it now for a few years and I think this spring is going to be the time that I finally rent a commerical paint sprayer and do the entire interior of the house. We need new carpet in the living room too but that can wait a bit longer (it's 1980's dusty rose )

One thing that we did have done recently is window replacement. We had 1970's slider windows in the 2 upstairs bedrooms and it was darned cold in there in the winter so a few weeks ago we ordered custom casement windows and they finally arrived Friday and the installers came over to put them in.
    We put out a huge amount for only 2 windows ($1700.00) but they did such a good job! The removed the 2 old windows and disposed of them and installed the new windows capping and all in 2 hours!! No muss, no fuss they even took a shop vac upstairs and cleaned up any mess that was up there. I'm so happy with it!!
    I just know if we would have tried to install them ourselves disaster would have struck.
    When it's a big important job and you have no experience it's always best to let the pro's do what they do best.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Well, we had PG&E out to do the annual Fall check up and light our heater pilots. He's gone and I have no heater pilots turned on. Need to replace the burners and have the whole vent thingy cleaned out. Thinks there's metal fatigue on the furnace or something. We just replaced both heaters 2 years ago!!!! and...we just cancelled our extended homeowner coverage (that paid for the inital replacement) because we have all new everything in the darned house. Not happy and am making phone calls to the heater guy.

I have a question about roofing prices since we will have to replace our roof. The insurance guy estimated the total roof surface to be about 2000 square feet, and it is currently asphalt shingles. We will most likely have someone do it for us, so I am wondering how much have people paid for labor when reroofing the house?

Any other advice/information would be welcome, too, especially regarding materials (has to be relatively lightweight, no slates or such ) since I am not a fan of asphalt shingles. I would rather have metal roofing but I am wondering how much more it would cost than asphalt shingles. We looked into Ondura roofing, but the reviews seem less than stellar, so I guess we will not do that either (unless someone would have some positive experiences about it??).

ETA
    ps. The good news about our disaster roof is that insurance covers materials (=up to asphalt shingles cost), including new ceiling tiles for kitchen/den.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 04-09-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

It's Spring again, and you know what that means. The Honey-Do list is growing again. Time to finish up the laminate flooring and baseboards, trim the hedges, blow the leaves out from under the bushes, and add to the mulch.

All in preparation for selling the place, because we're moving! We bought a new (and I mean NEW) house, on an acre, further out in the country. We close on May 27, and they should have the house done by then.

Congrats on the new house, John!

I need to find a honey to help with my to-do list...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread