+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Well, we did a few more things this weekend. Painted the custom closet doors that don't fit , at least they look good. Replaced the brass mail slot with a nice pewter finished one. We also went looking for new tile for the kitchen floor and some new carpet for the bedrooms. When we had our wood floors put in, we cut the old carpet back too far and it doesn't reach the transition strip. Needless to say, there has been a lot of tripping going on.

I need to ask for some advice on floors and bathroom remodels but my husband just walked in with tamales! I will ask later...

Thanks for all who replied. I did find a person on Bob Villa's site that has done just plywood floors in her house. She filled in gaps, sanded, painted, and stained. She says she is very happy with the way her floors look. And after two years, the floor still looks new. She even drew designs on the floor in her children's room before sealing the wood. The other magic word she used in doing all this to her floor was CHEAP!

This will also help when laying the new floor as it will be completely smooth. We aren't doing the "wood" floor that you buy in a box and glue or snap together. We are using wood boards bought in the lumber section, which we will cut to different lengths to lay a pattern and then glue and press together to keep in place. This is going to be a very rustic look, which I love. We had some friends who did this and the floor is absolutely beautiful. They then also took the same wood and built a dining room table and chairs, just stained it a slightly different color than the floor. Also beautiful.

Anyway, this will be an adventure!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Melitta my mom did this some years ago just to cut down on dust and to seal the plywood to make it easier to clean and to keep bacteria to a minimum. She used regular floor paint. I think it may have been for concrete or something like that but it did it's job until they could lay the new floor. Its not exactly a question of aesthetics but cleanliness.

Duxxy, I can see why your mom did this. OMG the sand that was trapped under the pad under the carpet!! No wonder I had to dust every other day! After seeing all of that sand, I have absolutely no problems with walking on just plywood...anything has to be better than having that dust floating in the air every time we walked across the carpet! I vacuum regularly and have a very powerful vacuum, I never imagined that that much dirt was still being ground into the carpet. I think that we will be pulling all carpet out of the house once we finish with the hall and living room.

BTW, thanks for the advice!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Actually I'm trying to avoid home improvement hell , so here's my question. Has anyone laid saltillo Mexican tiles before (they're the 12-inch tiles that range in color from yellow/tan to pinkish terra cotta)? We live in So. Cal. and want to do this ourselves, and we want to know, have they held up over the years being walked on? Do they crack easily? Did you have any nightmares laying them down? We would seal them, so does anyone have any input about any of this. Thanks in advance. Hoping someone can offer some advice.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I also have a question about laying tile...has anyone ever laid a Noce Travertine? I have a garage full of 18"x18" tiles waiting to go in my kitchen. While they are absolutely beautiful, I have heard this tile is difficult to put down. It is not a buffed/polished tile. It is a very raw finish with lots of pock marks. Our kitchen floor is currently a painted concrete but unfortunately has a repair running through the center from replacing the pipes. Therefore, it has some areas that aren't perfectly smooth and level. I guess what I really want to know, can 2 lame homeowners do this on their own in less than a weekend or should I have my contractor do it?

Applesauce, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I really hope someone can offer both of us some advice.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I have to say I have never layed any kind of tile.......but speaking from Home Improvement *#** experience........with a perfectionistic spouse that I live with I would absolutely hire a contractor in a heartbeat.

I did have a neighbor that layed tile in their living room a while back....and they rented a special cutter from HomeDepot and ..........if you ask me it was a really really big project, one I could see getting done quicker with someone that did it alot........

Good luck and I say if you want to do it yourselves go for it!

Hope there is someone out there with some real experience for you........
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Actually I'm trying to avoid home improvement hell , so here's my question. Has anyone laid saltillo Mexican tiles before (they're the 12-inch tiles that range in color from yellow/tan to pinkish terra cotta)? We live in So. Cal. and want to do this ourselves, and we want to know, have they held up over the years being walked on? Do they crack easily? Did you have any nightmares laying them down? We would seal them, so does anyone have any input about any of this. Thanks in advance. Hoping someone can offer some advice.

hey rosekid, i got your question about the saltillo tiles from the pet picture thread. i have to say, i'm of no help. sc and i just bought this house in december and the previous owners had laid the tile. they did it themselves which is obvious from the imperfections, but we love the tiles all the same.

this i do know... my boss has saltillo tiles throughout his house, too. however, his are the square ones and from the pics in the other thread, you can see that ours are a different shape with rounded ends. anyway, my boss has had his tiles for over 25 years and they still look amazing! a contractor told him it would be a good idea to acid wash and reseal them, but b/c of the $$ he opted not to. but... none of his are cracked or broken and they've lived through the raising of 3 boys. so i would think they are pretty sturdy. for me, i love them b/c of the millions of colors. gives the room a lot of character. i think they are beautiful.

i know this didn't answer anything, but if you are able to get the saltillo tiles, i say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    hey rosekid, i got your question about the saltillo tiles from the pet picture thread. i have to say, i'm of no help. sc and i just bought this house in december and the previous owners had laid the tile. they did it themselves which is obvious from the imperfections, but we love the tiles all the same.

this i do know... my boss has saltillo tiles throughout his house, too. however, his are the square ones and from the pics in the other thread, you can see that ours are a different shape with rounded ends. anyway, my boss has had his tiles for over 25 years and they still look amazing! a contractor told him it would be a good idea to acid wash and reseal them, but b/c of the $$ he opted not to. but... none of his are cracked or broken and they've lived through the raising of 3 boys. so i would think they are pretty sturdy. for me, i love them b/c of the millions of colors. gives the room a lot of character. i think they are beautiful.

i know this didn't answer anything, but if you are able to get the saltillo tiles, i say go for it.
    THANK YOU. Mr. Roseskid and I love the saltillo's and actually have one box of them at home that we've been experimenting with different sealers, etc. We are actually going to do the square ones (I think they're 12x12), but I think your tiles are lovely, too. I agree the myriad of colors is one of the qualities that make them so attractive. You really did answer my question about longevity. I'd say 25 years and 3 boys is a wonderful testament to their durability . Thank you so much.

Bella and your kitty are adorable......it looks like you have their bed in a nice sunshine-y place, with a view no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    My husband decided yesterday would be the day to rip out our living room and hallway carpet. We want to install hardwood floors, but will be a few months before we have the funds. We are now walking on unfinished plywood floors. I was thinking we could maybe sand down the plywood and add a stain or a paint or something over it to make it presentable for the time being. Has anybody ever heard of or seen anyone do this?

I am an avid reader of decorating magazines and recently came across one that made a subfloor (like yours) look like old planks by simply drawing in lines and "nails" with a magic marker. Looked like a real, old plank floor and was pretty cute if you're into the rustic look. I'm guessing they poly'd over it so it wouldn't be splintery.

+ Reply to Thread