+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Your best bet is to buy a quart of any colour you're interested in and paint a large square of cardboard and place it in the room.
    Look at how the colour changes with the natural light level throughout the day and also with the addition of overhead and/or indirect lighting from lamps, pot lights etc.
    Colours have so many different undertones and a colour that looks perfect in the store can look very different in your home.
    Just now found your post and you have given me a great suggestion, fluff. Thanks so much--we'll definitely do this when we begin the odyssey of looking for paint for our den and kitchen. We are extremely happy with the color we finally settled on in our living room/dining room area, but it was a major hassle zeroing in on it. Thank you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Using Plywood as a Finished Floor?

My husband decided yesterday would be the day to rip out our living room and hallway carpet. We want to install hardwood floors, but will be a few months before we have the funds. We are now walking on unfinished plywood floors. I was thinking we could maybe sand down the plywood and add a stain or a paint or something over it to make it presentable for the time being. Has anybody ever heard of or seen anyone do this?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    My husband decided yesterday would be the day to rip out our living room and hallway carpet. We want to install hardwood floors, but will be a few months before we have the funds. We are now walking on unfinished plywood floors. I was thinking we could maybe sand down the plywood and add a stain or a paint or something over it to make it presentable for the time being. Has anybody ever heard of or seen anyone do this?
    I've seen people do that with old hardwood floors, but not plywood.

Why exactly did your hubby think it was a good idea to pull up the carpet yesterday... months before you were going to replace it?? I would think a week before the replacement would have been the preferable timing of that fun.

I think I'd throw rugs down and let that be it for the time being.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Yes , I agree with Broadway......throw down some rugs.........or maybe go to a carpet store and get some remnants ........? Although you just pulled up carpet.......... :rolleyes

I wouldn't put any effort to making the plywood looking nice........
    Now if your husband wants to do it on his own then I say go for since he was the one that ripped up the carpet early......

good luck....
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

We are in the midst of finally redoing some major rooms in our house - moved in 20 years ago, painted, and that was about it. Got some new carpeting (insurance/flood) about 15 years ago - light beige, 2 kids, 2 dogs - you get the picture of how the house looks.

Finally, DH and I get house to ourselves. Have Son paint the living room and hall - have HD out to measure for carpeting in LR/Hall, Slate tiles in Kitchen, and carpet in Family room (all one side of house) Moved everything from LR into extra bedroom (my daughters old room) - for the duration. Got major furniture pieces out there, just nothing in the bookcases or desk, etc.

So, guess who decided to move back home last week??? Love it, hated her situation, but meanwhile, everything is displaced, the measurements took place the day after my surgery (on crutches) while my hubby and son had to go down and collect her furniture to move back (bad relationship, we are very glad she is out of).

meanwhile, haven't heard from home depot, want to get the damn thing scheduled so we can put stuff back and move onto the next room.(Kitchen) - which should be a REAL treat!!!!

I really want to get this stuff all done by the holidays. Please?!?!?

Now I know why we haven't done this for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Melitta my mom did this some years ago just to cut down on dust and to seal the plywood to make it easier to clean and to keep bacteria to a minimum. She used regular floor paint. I think it may have been for concrete or something like that but it did it's job until they could lay the new floor. Its not exactly a question of aesthetics but cleanliness.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I guess I was going to post all of the work I've done on my house this year, but I haven't had time since I spend all of my free time on it. I'll try to sometime.

Yesterday I did some priming on the flashing on my roof. Needless to say I actually melted part of the soles of my shoes on the hot shingles.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

ACK... mkwdood, how have you kept from pulling your hair out????

brusch... all I can think about reading your post is ... hot shingles and burned rubber? Yummy smell!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

bleah! almost as bad as tar.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I did most of my home improvement in May this year... I enjoy redoing the house. In June, I replanted flowers all around my house, and put out a food garden. My tomatoes and potatoes are great

Painted the ceiling and cleaned all the paneling upstairs.

Painted the ceiling in the Music Room.

Painted the doors in our guest bedroom.

Painted the kitchen cupboards and walls, wallpaper over our sink, took old border down and replaced with new border, put new ceiling tiles, rebuilt a light fixture and painted it.

Cleaned out the cellar and garage, and threw out every thing we dont use.

Painted the ceiling in the bathroom, painted the walls, and rebordered it.

Painted the dining room, took the old border up and replaced it.

The only pain I didnt like in my remodeling this May, was putting the border up.. Oh what a mess. Thank God my fiancee' did most of the wallpapering. He has more patience than I do with either.

+ Reply to Thread