+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove

applesauce promised me California vineyards - what does Michigan have to offer????
    I wanna be next! Georgia has mountains, waterfalls, and so forth, but maybe you'd rather have a change. I'll take you canoeing in the OKeefenokee swamp then out to Cumberland Island with live oaks, spanish moss, salt marsh , wild horses and a wonderful beach. That's your reward for re-doing my entire house which has everything wrong imaginable cosmetically, but still good structurally. I know I need to tackle all these projects, but I also need someone to kick me in the ass and make me work!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by erin_dye
    ADK, I don't know what my particular area of Michigan has to offer that can compare to wine. Maybe John or Broadway can make some suggestions as to what can be offered in this area. Maybe some German beer in Frankenmuth?
    Heh. erin, you could offer ADKLove German beer, fried chicken, and all of the cherry pie and Mackinac fudge her heart could desire!!!! *insert rubbing belly smiley here*
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    Does anyone know a site the will help me figure out how to paint my daughter's bedrooms? I have a 100 ideas floating in my head but am worried that they wont turn out as I envision. I am a visual type person and need to see it. Younger ones want a under the sea/ Nemo type theme and oldest wants a flower power type room.
    I know I'm days late in this thread (sorry!), but imajunkie..... if I could recommend a color...? Behr (at Home Depot) has an awesome color called Bon Voyage that is the absolute perfect color for water. It's an aquamarine/teal that seems to match the colors in most of the beach things that I'm finding. I used it to paint my second bathroom and just love it.

Try looking at HGTV.com for ideas on theme rooms. The show Room by Room seems to have covered most every theme at this point, so you might be able to come up with photos there.

Also... in Home Depot's paint color area they have a lot of theme cards that even spell out all of the paint colors and items that you'll need. A creativity-challenged person's best friend.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

OK - I'm in: California for wine, Michigan for some German beer & Makinac fudge (what's better than beer & chocolate?), and a little ass-kicking and canoeing in the Okeefenokee. Anyone else before I plan my roadtrip???
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    OK - I'm in: California for wine, Michigan for some German beer & Makinac fudge (what's better than beer & chocolate?), and a little ass-kicking and canoeing in the Okeefenokee. Anyone else before I plan my roadtrip???
    Any plans to come way north??

Thanks Broadway we have a Home Depot so I will go check that colour out.

I finally decided to start my painting in the living room / landing / dining area. Took me awhile to decided on a colour & like Roses mentioned those little swatch thingys just don't do any justice. My first coat looked more purple than tan & when I told my hubby his reply was "I am NOT living in a purple house!!" oops. Oh well with the second coat it looks much better and so much warmer than our previously horrible egg shell walls.

Marley - Your house sounds alot like mine with the landing bit & I am having a bugger of a time trying to figure out how to paint the little wall that goes over the stairs & the part of the adjacent wall. Landing is 11 1/2 feet floor to ceiling and then throw the stairs in. The wall is also 4 feet from the top step if that helps any. I do have the extension for the roller but I am trying to figure out how I am going to be able to do the bits at the ceiling without killing myself. Thanks so much to eveyone for all the hints !!

If you have a difficult wall to paint you should consider investing in a multi position ladder from a Home Improvement store.
    If that's too much of an expense and you don't think you'll have cause to use it in the future the tool rental section might rent them.
    If people have high walls to paint, without the additional obstacle of stairs, you could always consider renting a small scaffolding tower to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    My husband and I find the paint color is the hardest. We have gone through cans and cans of paint, choosing a color from those dinky little swatches you get, thinking, "oh, this is a great color". Then painting a wall, and suddenly it's more intense, a different hue....or we like it in the morning, but not at night. Or on one wall its great, on another that's more shaded, it's awful. We painted our living room/dining room with vaulted ceilings last year and it was a nightmare trying to find just the right color. We had about 12 different colors all over the walls trying to zero in on the right one. Finally did and we're very happy, but we were so frustrated over the whole thing, we haven't tackled the kitchen/den yet. We're gathering strength now!
    Your best bet is to buy a quart of any colour you're interested in and paint a large square of cardboard and place it in the room.
    Look at how the colour changes with the natural light level throughout the day and also with the addition of overhead and/or indirect lighting from lamps, pot lights etc.
    Colours have so many different undertones and a colour that looks perfect in the store can look very different in your home.

It may seem a waste of money to buy the quarts, but it you're humming and hawing between a couple of shades it's far cheaper to buy a quart of each than a couple of gallons of one only to switch to the other because the first wasn't quite what you were looking for.

Also, always buy paint after you have purchased any soft furnishings, upholstered items or any major accessory pieces, e.g. art.
    If you have patterned drapes in the area to be painted or will be using throws, rugs or toss cushions,look to those to find a paint colour and have the store match the colour for you.
    Last edited by fluff; 08-19-2004 at 04:28 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm too cheap for that Fluff but it is a good idea.
    I just tape the samples to the wall for a few days and note the color changes with the light. The quart is a good idea if you are doing a really big space like a hall.

This is also handy http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/index.jsp

It's addictive too. It gives you an idea of what the colors look like together.

Some better paint stores will rent you a can of spray paint, but only have their own brand paint colours available, so you are limited in what you can rent from them.

In England we have what we call "tester pots".
    They only cost a couple of pounds and contain enough paint for a good covering of a 2ft x2ft square.
    Again, they only come in stock colours, so if you want a colour mixed from a fabric you can't get a test pot.
    If you want a stock colour they're invaluable as they give you the opportunity to actually see what the colour will look like in your home.

The best bet is to always decide on fabrics first then look to them for paint inspiration.
    "That's Numberwang!"

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Joe, I don't think carpet and dogs belong in the same sentence!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHN
    I hear ya, Joeguy. We just got new carpet installed on Wednesday or last week, and we've fed our dog outside on the deck every night since. That won't work when it's raining, so we have to find some acceptable solution soon.
    the rest bear is that my whole place is carpeted, event he kitchen so i got carpet everywhere. then trying to house break dogs when the wife won't help doesn't help. now when she complains of the smell I just say "house breaking would have helped stop that" she gets quiet real fast. i have shampooed the carpets so much that I am afraid to even do it again for fear that the carpet will dissolve. now I feed the dogs when i get up and then i can be assured somewhat that they will have done their "thing" by the time i get home from work. i work swing and the wife works days, so someone is here to keep them company and let them outside alot during the daytime.

I have a few projects that I've done over the past couple of years......
    I painted my kitchen yellow with the help of my neighbors and boy did my husband have a few not nice words for me when he returned from his trip.
    we've since moved to a different house.........

we painted both kids rooms this summer............it should have been fun but my husband is picky about when to use a brush and when to use a roller......... (me I like to do it the way I want)

also repainted my daughter dresser and again I used the brush when I was supposed to use a roller (per my husbands instructions) and almost gave him a heartattack!!!!!

I also put up new wallpaper in my kids bathroom 3 yrs ago right after we moved in and my husband and I got in a huge argument because I didn't do it right........... He is a perfectionist(although he won't admit it) and I'm on the other end so its hard for us to agree how to do a project around the house, but somehow we always manage to survive.........

My favorite all time projects around the house are when my husband is on a business trip!

I have a rose garden on the side of my house that is pretty but it has about 20 plants/bushes in it and only 4 are rose bushes........husbands idea again........just rose bushes just wouldn't do......... ( and since he was using the tiller to make the garden I didn't complain to much)

we need to paint the outside of our house ---so now we are trying to pick a whiteish color..........and my husband will get several swatches from Home Depot and tape them together and look at them for weeks before deciding --it drives me crazy........smile

gotta go get off my rant!
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

+ Reply to Thread