+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

We will need to replace den ceiling soon. Someplace is leaking on roof, and we fixed the chimney surroundings, but we are now thinking that it might be gutters overflowing on really bad storms. We only get leaks when it really pours down extremely heavy, and gutters overflow to porch, so quite possibly they overflow to other side as well I am not sure what to do, we put the gutters in because water pooling on porch was causing problems at porch, but now the gutters seem to cause new problems... One solution I guess would be to rip off the porch, but it is concrete plus tiled so we would rather find some other solution. Anyway, this is our home improvement hell, seems like a neverending cycle
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

May I add, we just ordered new closet doors for our room because the standard sizes don't fit. My husband measured the space at least 50 times, six weeks to get the doors and they don't fit!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    You know you're in home improvement hell when you stop off at Lowes for some quick stuff, and the cashier greets you by name. Aargh.
    You know you're in home improvement hell, when you're driving somewhere near Home Depot, and you realize that you've gone on autopilot and you are now in Home Depots parking lot.

btw. My record is 6 trips to the hardware store in 1 day. On the 6th trip i drove the extra 5miles to Lowes just so i wouldn't have to step into Home Depot again.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Don't knock it, Unk -- in my apartment, the ceilings are so high I had to go hunt down a stepladder to change an overhead lightly.
    Lucy, if you haven't seen it before, at Home Depot & other places, there are these really long telescoping wands that come with different attachments that allow you to change light bulbs without getting on a ladder. The good ones come with attachments for regular light bulbs, big "out door" type spotlights, and suction cup thing that works on odd sizes of bulbs. They're about $20 but if it saves you from breaking a leg on a scary ladder, it's worth the money.

Ooh, I'd never heard of those. I'll check it out. Thanks, PhoneGrrrl.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    Lucy, if you haven't seen it before, at Home Depot & other places, there are these really long telescoping wands that come with different attachments that allow you to change light bulbs without getting on a ladder. The good ones come with attachments for regular light bulbs, big "out door" type spotlights, and suction cup thing that works on odd sizes of bulbs. They're about $20 but if it saves you from breaking a leg on a scary ladder, it's worth the money.

These work great!

Does anyone know a site the will help me figure out how to paint my daughter's bedrooms? I have a 100 ideas floating in my head but am worried that they wont turn out as I envision. I am a visual type person and need to see it. Younger ones want a under the sea/ Nemo type theme and oldest wants a flower power type room.

I have quite a bit to add here but it will probably have to wait because I have the afternoon off and am going to work on my house.
    Time to go outside and get 113 years of paint off of the exterior trim with the 1100 heat gun!
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    Does anyone know a site the will help me figure out how to paint my daughter's bedrooms? I have a 100 ideas floating in my head but am worried that they wont turn out as I envision. I am a visual type person and need to see it. Younger ones want a under the sea/ Nemo type theme and oldest wants a flower power type room.
    MariesManor.hotusa.org (or google Maries Manor) is a wonderful site full of theme ideas, pictures etc. for boys and girls rooms. You might also check out JCPenney's/Target catalog for ideas on the older one-they both have a ton of new stuff in this flavor.
    Last edited by Igotalife; 08-05-2004 at 03:44 PM.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    The best advice I could give would be to keep the walls simple - and then accessorise to bring in the theme (like with a border at chair rail height or at the top of the room, so you don't need to cut'in the ceiling or with "wallies" (little wallpaper cut-outs you wet, apply, and smooth/clean with a damp sponge)). That way, if your kids tire of the theme, or something doesn't quite work right, you don't necessarily need to repaint the entire room.

I'd paint them a nice, bright medium to deep color (medium deep aquamarine for the sea/Nemo room and hot pink for the flower power room). Stay away from pastels - BORING! Remember that when choosing from color chips, the color will appear darker once you've done entire walls with them, and ceilings should never be painted the same color as the walls, or too dark (or it will feel like the room is closing in on you). (My daughters butterfly fairy room is medium-dark "faerie dust" lavender, with "wispy cloud" blue on the ceiling - too cute!)

Both Target and Domestications (mail order catalog) have really neat, fun, reasonably priced accessories. Fabric stores are a great source of inspiration and always have interesting prints and textures to make the room fun. You can wrap throw pillows (or foam inserts) with fabric and tie with one big or several small knots (no sewing!), wrap a headboard (hot glue gun), or make window swags by draping fabric (again, no sewing!). Little things like a fishbowl or lava lamp are simple and cheap ways to add to the theme. You could also suspend lightweight things from the ceiling on fishing line (ie - little swimming fish) in the sea/Nemo room or hang a bead curtain (remember those???) in the flower power room to add dimension. Don't forget throw rugs (very cute, even in a carpeted room) to help pull everything together.

Just my .02 cents. Remember to have fun, and include the kids Emma helped me select the final color (she did a great job after I helped narrow it down for her because there are SO MANY choices), paint her room, and even got to put a paint handprint in a contrasting color (just one though) on her wall to commemmorate it.
    Last edited by ADKLove; 08-05-2004 at 04:17 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread