+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536

Thread: Home improvement hell

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Home improvement hell

I've also seen a new wall paint on the market that claims to destroy odors. It probably costs a fortune - but at least I could use my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3570216;
    I've also seen a new wall paint on the market that claims to destroy odors. It probably costs a fortune - but at least I could use my basement.
    I am not a sales person for Natures Miracle, but I did need to use it years ago and it really worked! I am a bit wary myself of paints etc., that claim to destroy odors, because usually nothing clears out dog/cat urine odors. There is another product similar to Natures Miracle but I cannot recall the name at this time.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Thanks for your concern, Gabriel. I will definitely give Natures Miracle. I hate the thought of putting carpet and all that goes with it into the house with the economy.....I think it can wait for a bit.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm resurrecting this thread because I've got a question about counter-tops. My hand has kind of been forced into doing a partial kitchen reno due to plumbing issues. Basically, I need new bottom cabinets and fix the piping. I have an awesome friend who is a builder/contractor who is going to do that work at cost, but I've got to figure out the counter-top. He recommended granite, as it is (allegedly) cheap now because stores have a stock-pile and don't have buyers due to the economy. I was kind of set on Silestone because my parents reno'd their kitchen in '03 and it's been awesome, but it is pricey. And granite seems to be a bit HGTV trendy to me, but if I can save money, I'm in. So what my question is to this community is, what are the pros/cons on granite or other counter-top. I've been living with 3X3 ceramic tiles for 12 years in my cottage, so really anything is an improvement. I hate grouting.

I had a granite counter top installed nearly 2 years ago anf I absolutely LOVE it! No seams, no grout just a smooth surface that is easy to keep clean. And, if it's not quite a clean as it sould be, you won't know it unless you run your hand over it.

When I bought my counter tops in 2110 I looked at Silestone and loved it, but it was MUCH more expensive than granite. At that time, the quote for the Silestone was double the quote for the granite that I chose.

My daughter just put in a new kitchen and she chose concrete countertops. I was totally shocked at how beautiful her counter tops are. You might want to check that out before making a final decision.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

What is the upkeep of granite compared to silestone? I want granite when I put new countertops in.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

There is lots of info on line. Generally, Silestone probably requires less care, but I have found my granite to be very easy to keep clean and new looking. If the prices had been the same I would have gone with the Silestone, but the price difference was huge and I was already over budget on the cabinets. I do love my granite.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

We got granite, and while it looks great (and I agree, when it isn't clean it's hard to see if you don't feel it---which is both a plus and a minus! Depends on how much you want clean!) there are some problems. I think some of this may depend on the kind of finish you get.
    So... on mine oil, especially hot oil, sinks in quickly. The area next to my stove top got a definite darker stain because I was used to putting the lid that had been over my simmering spaghetti sauce standing on edge on the old Formica, leaning against the fridge. BAAAD idea with granite! I've also read that acids like lemon juice and vinegar...maybe even orange juice... can pit it. So now I'm paranoid about cutting lemons on it even on a cutting board in case some juice splashes.
    The other problem I ran into was that the guy came and measured everything, but when it was installed they couldn't get my sink back in the hole that had been cut...had to run out and buy a new one while they were installing. Luckily I like the new sink, a nice deep one with a swivel faucet, better than the old one. Also the installers would not remove the old countertops... I had to get someone else to do that. They are used to working with situations where new cabinets were being installed and I liked my old cabinets, just not the old red Formica. And I worry about my dishwasher...under the counter... the weight of the granite was much more than the old Formica of course, and I'm worried about being able to get it out again if I ever need to replace it.
    That said, it looks great, even if the color doesn't look quite the same , pinker, than it did in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    My daughter just put in a new kitchen and she chose concrete countertops. I was totally shocked at how beautiful her counter tops are. You might want to check that out before making a final decision.
    I have concrete countertops and absolutely love them. Whenever someone comes over to my condo, people always study my counters and try to figure out what they are. Plus, the finish on them can be done in almost any color.

+ Reply to Thread