+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Re: Home improvement hell

As long as the fridge isn't talking back to you I would just call it The Money Pit.

I hope everything else works out okay for you, JD.

Has anybody used Sherwin Williams paint (interior) and really liked it? I'm about to redo my kitchen/living room area, and they have a few colors I'd like to try. I've always used American Tradition from Lowe's, but I wasn't too happy with it last time I bought a gallon.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3487288;
    Has anybody used Sherwin Williams paint (interior) and really liked it? I'm about to redo my kitchen/living room area, and they have a few colors I'd like to try. I've always used American Tradition from Lowe's, but I wasn't too happy with it last time I bought a gallon.
    I had my apartment painted with Sherwin Williams and was totally pleased. Pretty much one coat covered all. I did do touch ups after the major painting for some minor spots that were missed, but the paint covered walls that hadn't been painted in over 15-20 years. I wish I could remember how much it cost, but I think it was about 125.00 for 5 gallons. Well worth the cost
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-07-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Sherwin Williams is what we use at the restaurant and it holds up to the abuse we put it through fairly well. I just bought some last week and it was $32 - $38 a gallon.

Oh, excellent. If I can get away with one coat, I should only need about three gallons. And if it holds up in a restaurant, I don't think my kitchen will be a problem.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Duxxy - Baby wipes rock! For many things. And I don't have babies. Well, except furry ones.

J.D. I'm sorry to hear about all your condo problems. That just sucks. Big Time.

I am having to face a couple of big expenditures in my little money pit. I need to replace my cedar shake roof with shingles 'cause I can't afford shakes. And my veranda needs some repairs as it was never built (by previous owners) at the right pitch.

I also need to take advantage of the gov't program on replacing my ancient gravity furnace. I have to get quotes on not only purchasing an energy efficient model, but removing the old battleax monster that is currently the size of a small room, and revent the entire house to forced air. This includes removing a wall, the entire basement ceiling, and will ruin any old carpet that is currently there. I also will need to move the hot water tank, and disconnect, move and reconnect a gas fireplace. It will be a huge mess and I already know estimates will be in the $10,000+ range. I have been putting this off forever.

I dont' know how to shield my kitties from the impending noise, destruction, dust, dirt, workmen and mess.

Does anyone have any winning lottery tickets for me?
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-06-2009 at 04:25 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Alright, I'm back with more complaining. Actually I need some advice - HELP. I mentioned before how I bought this condo from my mom after she passed away - she had lived here since it was built in 1983. During the last 10 years, she had a cat. Well, it was my cat for the first five years and very well trained. I had her cat-sit when I went to Vegas and got married - and when we returned, she decided she wanted to keep him. Since she was alone - I couldn't take him from her, she just adored him.

This coldo is quite large, especially for one person. The upstairs, main floor, is a full home on its own, with a full, 100% finished basement. So she sort of stopped using the basement for the most part. But the litter box was in the basement. By the end, she forgot (?) to change the litter box, in fact, I was the only one who changed it. The cat began using the drain in the laundry room because his box was so full. The cat was 15 years old, and after my mom passed, he was confused and grieving to the point where we had to put him down.

The house is structured like a split level, and when I come inside the door, or even go down the stairs, the basement just reeks of cat pee. I've gotten rid of all things cat - and cleaned with everything I can think of, but even after a year and a half, nothing has helped.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem, heard of it, or come across something that may help with the smell? I don't want to be shut out of half my house because of this.

Thanks!

Does the basement have carpet? If so, replace it. Have you treated the drain? Foaming Draino (pipe snake?) might get rid of stuff soaked in cat sewage in the pipes. Did you try Oxyclean on basement surfaces? Good stuff. Good luck!! Are you sure it's just the basement that's the problem?
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Thanks for the tips. The cat's litter box was in the basement in the laundry room. The only time I can smell it is when I go near the basement. And the further I get down there the worse it is. What else could be the problem?

If the box was up against a wall scrub any surfaces that could have been sprayed by urine etc., Not sure if any commercial cleaners will work on cat pee/poop odors, but a very good thing to eradicate odors is a thing called Natures Miracle.

Nature's Miracle - Home

+ Reply to Thread