+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Re: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3272446;
    The square toilet reminds me of a port-a-potty. Don't think I'd want one of those.

I knew I'd seen one of those before
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

So, we had a bit of a warm spell the other day and all the snow melted and slid off our roof, and TADAHH No more toilet troubles. We're back to figuring we have some venting issues. Either the pipe does not stick out of the roof far enough to stick out of the snow, or there is no cap on it and it gets plugged with its own ice and snow. We will have to just deal until spring when we can get someone up there.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

So, Yesterday was spent draining and flushing my oil fired water heater! Whee. I did get the water in the tank to go from looking like mucky-can't-see-through-mud-puddle-water to looking like very weak tea. So no more red baths for my children! However, I would like to take it further and clean the burner and replace the anode rod as well. I have no way of knowing how old this thing is our how it was maintaned previously, and we certainly can't afford to replace it this year!

Has anyone ever heard of FORD PRODUCTS INC. They are the manufacturer listed on the side of the tank .
    So far I can find no listing information for the company, or any information about who may have bought them out.

Based on the serial number I have been able to determine that it is either 12 OR 19 years old
    The fact that I had to remove a factory cap and peel away fiberglass insulation to get to the top of the anode makes me uneasy.
    The way everything else in this house was poorly maintained, it would not shock me to find out the anode rod is the original.

I'll say a little prayer for your water heater if you say one for mine! LOL Mine's Mine's 14 years old...Usually 12-15 years is the life expectancy! Cleaning them now if they've NEVER been cleaned can be a double edged sword! That sediment may have been what was holding it together! I'm planning to replace my boiler this summer and with it, add an indirect water heater and get rid of the water heater all together... I'm just praying that the water heater AND the boiler make it until warm weather!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Double edge sword is right! Ours keeps shutting off and we have to hit the switch to start it up again. Sometimes it stays on, sometimes not. I'd love to take it out and replace it with a new electric one. But we just used the last of our tax return to refinance our mortgage, so we have to pray hard it lasts until next year! This year is going to be like squeezing the last bit of blood from a stone.. But it will all be worth it in the end

I discovered something very helpful today... I was re-caulking the bathtub and I got silicone caulking on my hand. This stuff will not wash off and I was using mineral spirits to take it off. Well I was in a pinch so I grabbed the nearest thing... a baby wipe. It came off like 'buddah'! Completely clean, no stickyness, no harsh chemicals to dry out my hands and I actually smelled good!
    Ya gotta wonder what the heck is in those wipes that make them so darn versatile?!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3370898;
    I discovered something very helpful today... I was re-caulking the bathtub and I got silicone caulking on my hand. This stuff will not wash off and I was using mineral spirits to take it off. Well I was in a pinch so I grabbed the nearest thing... a baby wipe. It came off like 'buddah'! Completely clean, no stickyness, no harsh chemicals to dry out my hands and I actually smelled good!
    Ya gotta wonder what the heck is in those wipes that make them so darn versatile?!
    Something that takes care of all the "crappy" little situations..

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3370898;
    . . . Ya gotta wonder what the heck is in those wipes that make them so darn versatile?!
    Beats the hell outta me, but I keep 'em in my purse because they're way better than Shout Wipes for preventing stains when I spill coffee, etc. down the front of my shirt. (Stop laughing! With big boobs, it's a fact of life!!!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3372836;
    Beats the hell outta me, but I keep 'em in my purse because they're way better than Shout Wipes for preventing stains when I spill coffee, etc. down the front of my shirt. (Stop laughing! With big boobs, it's a fact of life!!!)
    So I'm not the only one with stains on that part of my shirt? When my husband does laundry, he automatically pre-sprays the front of all my blouses just because there is usually something spilled there.

I am going to tell him about the wipes, he caulks stuff a lot and always has it stuck to him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Gah! Home improvement hell is right. Bad news/good news:

I just got this condo - one owner - low miles. It seems the previous tenant/owner (who happens to have been my mom) smoked like a chimney and I'm pretty sure she didn't know how to open a window. But getting the smell out is relatively nothing compared to the rest of the problems I acquired. The way my mom lived appeared to be clean and well-maintained. Wrong. Before I could move in, I had to replace the water heater and some of the plumbing, as well as the kitchen disposal.

The pilot light on the gas furnace has gone out 3 times this winter - I'm sitting here by candlelight even as I write. The refrigerator keeps things cold, but has a smell that I can't identify or isolate. And there is some kind of wet crap coming out of the bottom of it. I completely dismantled it, scrubbed it inside and out, and have no idea what it is.

Then, every Thanksgiving in our family we each make our most popular dish and bring it to dinner. My assignment is the pies. I pride myself on my pies. Until this year. I couldn't figure out why my pies were all half-baked. And not in a good way. Yeah, apparently the oven and cooktop don't work like they should. I never questioned why mom cooked in the toaster oven all of the time.

This is going to be one expensive week. New fridge, new stove and finding someone to clean out the furnace, hopefully without having to replace it.

The place was built (and decorated) in the early 80s - and looks like it. I don't know who chose the wallpaper, but what a tragedy that is. I've been able to get most of that taken down - but the glue wouldn't come off the plaster.

Good news: I got to thinking about it, and realized the glue used on the wallpaper is water based, and decided to put away all of the chemicals, fabric softener, etc., and went with liquid soap. Plain old undiluted dollar-store soap. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but it does work. Finally!!

I can't decide if I should name the place Amityville or The Money Pit.

Okay, I'm done - thanks for putting up with my complaining.

+ Reply to Thread