+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

I bought my house almost exactly 1 year ago. It is a 40 year old home with a finished basement. It has been a rental for the past 20 years. The place was pretty beat up, but it was mainly cosmetic, the structure of the house is very strong. This is my wife and my 2nd home, and the one that we want to have our kids grow up in, so we wanted to make this home just the way we wanted. We purposefully picked a home that needed a lot of work because in looking at homes, the ones that had been recently remodeled just were not done the way we would have liked.

Since buying the house I have
    Completely torn out the kitchen removing all appliances, linoleum and sub floor.
    Had the kitchen rebuilt with custom cabinets, new hardwood, and rewired for new lights.
    Gutted all 3 bathrooms, once again down to sub floor, and rebuilt with new tile, slate floors, cabinets and fans.
    Removed wood paneling from basement, and put up wallboard.
    New baseboards, trim, and crown molding.
    Painted the exterior.
    Refinished all upstairs wood floors (White Oak)
    Recarpeted downstairs.
    Installation of new Electrical Panel.
    Had all plumbing replaced. (this was one we missed while purchasing, the pipes were rusting)

My strategy in all this, which I learned while working on my first home was, I will do all manual labor. Demolition is my specialty. I will never pay a contractor their costly fees to swing a sledgehammer, or pull up a floor. I can do that stuff, and its fun. I will also do much of the structural stuff. Framing a new wall. Hanging dry wall. Cutting and hanging molding. but I bring in professionals for mudding and taping of drywall, installation of counters, and all things involving electricity more complex than rewiring an outlet plug. I have found that you can save significant dollars doing these things yourself, but you need the right contractor. We are now almost completely done, and all I have left is patching nail holes and painting. It has been a long year, with almost every night after coming home from work spent working on some little project or another. The main up sides are, our house is very close to being just the way we wanted it, and Ive now got some cool tools.

Next year, its on to the yard.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JR.

Last summer I:
    -painted 6 of the 8 rooms upstairs

Ugh.
    JR-you have 8 room upstairs!!!! Holy Moly! That's more than I have in my whole house!

Oh I love home improvement projects! I am the biggest HGTV/DIY channel nerd. I bought my house two years ago and have repainted the outside, every room inside except for the bathrooms, redone the kitchen cabinets, landscaped the yard...right now I have the master bath torn apart to repaint and replace the vinyl floor. Then I'm tiling the kitchen counter/backsplash...

One thing I will never do again is replace a double garage door. It took four of us an entire day of busting butt to take down the old one and replace it....next time I will pay someone who knows what they're doing!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    JR-you have 8 room upstairs!!!! Holy Moly! That's more than I have in my whole house!
    It's the upstairs apartment including the attic. My last name is not Gates or Trump

You know you're in home improvement hell when you stop off at Lowes for some quick stuff, and the cashier greets you by name. Aargh.

Home improvement the Los Angeles way: apply to a home improvement/reality show!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    And thats the way it should be .

I was tired from a long day of scraping / painting my sons bedroom, then I saw this thread and didn't feel quite so bad. I did one bedrrom last week and the other one today . Lets just say the boys are 15 and one still had cowboy wallpaper . Hey it was cool when he was six . They both wanted blue , so one is a dark blue with even darker stripes and the one I'm doing now is a caribbean blue.
    I'm all blued out .
    I'm sort of happy that I'm not alone in my home improvement blitz though. Unfortunately I married someone who hates doing that kind of stuff , but I am training my kids to be better.
    And the people at Home Depot know me by name too. I even talked to a recruiter last week as they were on a hiring spree. I convinced her I'd end up owing them to work there

I changed 2 light bulbs today.

Don't knock it, Unk -- in my apartment, the ceilings are so high I had to go hunt down a stepladder to change an overhead lightbulb. And even then it wasn't tall enough -- I perched precariously on the step where it says if you step any higher you're in danger of falling off, and it made me dizzy to look up at the lightbulb so I had to change the bulb by feel.
    In my current apartment-dwelling life, that's about as far as I get with home improvement.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

We are working on a bedroom. It's taking forever. I am then going to tackle the bathroom and rip down the old wall paper and paint instead. I'm hoping I don't have to rewall paper in there. Plus, I'm planning on painting the garage in the fall when it's cooler.

Then I plan to replace both outside doors and replace the floor in the kitchen. They are all in bad shape. This of course will take forever.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread